John Lobb Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dddrees, Feb 22, 2013.

1. jujujoo11

jujujoo11 Senior member

Who is JLP direct competitor's?? Are they going in this direction too?

2. usctrojans31

usctrojans31 Senior member

I have to imagine that Hermes is taking much more an involvement in the strategy now.

3. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

^Edward Green

Kind of new lasts that are not very english as well as some new models are that aren't all that classic either. However no where near lobb.

4. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

Similar to what happened with Church's.

5. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

I know, and I hope EG and G&G don't take the same path.

6. jamiemcp

jamiemcp Senior member

Who owns G&G? have one of the big houses taken a stake in them?

Isn't EG still independant?

Agree with the comments on Churches, just not what they used to be, which is a shame as they are the only high end shoes with a shop in edinburgh

7. usctrojans31

usctrojans31 Senior member

My impression of EG introducing the 890 and a few more contemporary lasts is less about turning into a fashion brand and more to compete in a pretty quickly growing market. G&G, Corthay, and similar brands have really captured people's imagination and money, and I'm sure management at EG wanted to introduce something similar and its own spin on the contemporary market.

Unless EG appoints a goth emo chick with zero footwear experience, we can safely assume that it won't be going full yabo.

8. mw313

mw313 Senior member

I agree.

I don't think that EG and GG would change their offerings. They could add more and may do that to capture more sales (like the 890 last for EG), but they both have very strong followings of people, especially some of us on StyleForum. As long as they keep their MTO programs strong, most people who want to try some out-there styles will go that route. Then they can keep the RTW lines as they see fit.

Lobb has gone through so many changes and that is the problem. They don't seem to have as dedicated of a following. Of course they have many loyal customers, but many people seem to go for them just for the name and many of those people want something flashy to get noticed and then they can say that they wear John Lobb. It is getting like the fashion houses of Gucci, Prada, etc., but still with great quality materials/construction. I don't see them getting rid of everything of tradition, but Hermes probably wants to bring in more sales and is willing to bring out some crazy stuff to make the current and future customers loyal to the brand, instead of just going to Lobb for dress shoes.

9. mw313

mw313 Senior member

Yes church's had problems after the Prada takeover, but they still do offer some of the classic styles and are of similar build quality as long as you don't get one of the cheap binder leathers.

10. jaywhyy

jaywhyy Senior member

Berluti/LVMH is more of a direct competitor to John Lobb Paris/Hermes than Edward Green. Edward Green is conservative British and lacks a bespoke operation. John Lobb has a way bigger following internationally. EG just has a bigger following on the Styleforum CM-sphere. None of my friends know what EG, but John Lobb is seen at Barneys, Neiman, Bond movies, etc.

I have no qualms with the new design directions, as they are still making models like Lopez, Williams, and Beckett. Their new designs have been uninspired for the past few years anyway, i.e. St. Crepin 2013-2014. What's annoying is their ever increasing prices, and the extremely restrictive MTO.

Also, they've been making casual styles like unwelted shoes and boat shoes for awhile now.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  11. mw313

mw313 Senior member

yes I know that Lobb is more well known internationally as well as in the US, since it is seen in some major high end department stores.

They do still make the standard styles that they are known for and that is great. Hopefully adding the new styles will also help transition those customers into trying out the classic styles too.

All companies need to make money, and having more styles to bring in different types of people can help them, so I don't blame them really, as long as they keep the quality.

12. Jazzmenco

Jazzmenco Senior member

13. mw313

mw313 Senior member

I'm usually not a fan of loafers and slip on styles, but I have to say that the simple elegance really lets this one shine. Great choice!!!!

14. Jazzmenco

Jazzmenco Senior member

15. mw313

mw313 Senior member

you deserve it! what is the model for that and how long have you had them? Were they MTO?