John Lobb Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dddrees, Feb 22, 2013.

1. jujujoo11

jujujoo11 Senior member

i wear mine same as any other lasts like 7000 and 8000. The Williams feel very stiff when new. I want to know if it gets better after its broken in?

I'm deciding between C&J Camberley vs the John Lobb 2 boots and money isn't an issue.

2. labravajazz

labravajazz Senior member

Maybe depends on the leather used but my William II (I think Ardilla) became really soft and comfortable after a few wears - I usually go walking a few times in new shoes. Very substantial leather but pliable - in my experience this one of the things I have liked about the few John LOBB shoes I have had, more bold and substantial feel than most others I think. Not sure about the sizing as my Williams 10.5 are definitely bigger and wider than the 11e in 8000 - maybe it's just a thing with my particular pair?

3. Equus Leather

Equus Leather Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Yup, Hermes (and LVMH) are buying up many of their suppliers which drives up costs and makes it increasingly tricky to source from them. They have bought Haas as well for e.g.. Exotic leather sounds like its still in reasonable supply in the US but it'd getting very difficult to source in Europe at the moment,

Charlie

4. jujujoo11

jujujoo11 Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

URggggg,,,,, I really like them both. I can't find much picture online people wearing the william boots. I'm kinda leaning towards the William boots in brown misty calf... But the Camberley is pretty sweet looking in brown. I guess two different style. I been infatuated by double monk boots lately.

5. Farhad19620

Farhad19620 Senior member

If cost is not an issue and they both fit you the same then I would go with the JL as I have seen both boots and tried them on, the JL is much better IMHO and I prefer the positioning of the buckle on the JL.

6. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Dubiously Honored Moderator

I would agree entirely, there is no contest :)

7. jujujoo11

jujujoo11 Senior member

great Im going to order the lobbs.

8. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Good choice.

9. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

The JL boot is certainly more substantial, and, IMO, more casual. With cost being no issue, just get them both and call it good. :D

10. jujujoo11

jujujoo11 Senior member

I also wanted the boots in the November sole..... Anyone had any durability issues with the john lobb rubber soles?

11. Nikola

Nikola Senior member

I bought my Plum Museum lopez with the November sole. They are a bit lower quality compared to Dainite IMO but nothing you would worry about. Also, I would never buy a boots with a leather sole.

12. jujujoo11

jujujoo11 Senior member

I was wondering on my church's danite sole, the stitching is wearing out from the wear. Is this something I should worry about? I find it to be unavoidable.

13. Nikola

Nikola Senior member

I am yet to experience any potential trouble with my Church's Ryder Dainite sole. I heard many people are complaining, but so far my pair is holding great. I've worn it perhaps 20 times this winter.

Here's a quick repost of how they compare. This was photographed when I bought them, couple of months ago.

John Lobb November vs Church's Dainie sole if that can be of any use to you.

14. jujujoo11

jujujoo11 Senior member

My sole stitch is wearing out on the tip. But still pretty firm. I don't know much about shoes to worry. I just dont want to buy the LOBB's in November sole and have to worry about the same thing.

15. labravajazz

labravajazz Senior member

FWIW the other John LOBB rubber soles which are like Ridgeway kind of style are IMO equal to the best soles for outdoor wear - I have them on William II shoes and have worn them heavily - very comfortable under foot more so than Dainite and better traction in wet or rough conditions and have barely shown any signs of heavy wear. I haven't had their Dainite equivalent but lots of regular Dainite shoes and boots to compare with. JL are tops for me.