John Lobb Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dddrees, Feb 22, 2013.

1. mw313

mw313 Senior member

Thanks but what are your thoughts on the shoes themselves? I know that the kangaroo is a nice strong leather so that is what made me still compnsider them. What do you think would be a fair price to try to negotiate with?

I spike to Lobb and they confirmed that they would modify it slightly if that would help the fit and the. At least I would know what would work for me and have some experience with their shoes.

Any thoughts will help.

2. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

They didn't fit the original owner.

That means you'll be fighting an uphill and maybe insurmountable battle to get the shoes to fit your foot properly. The footbed will not be yours, the creases will not suddenly morph into some other configuration or smooth out or correspond to your foot.

Maybe if they were recrafted you'd have a chance to make them yours.

Beyond that...the leather seems to be in good condition and it looks like glazed 'roo.

Price...I dunno--that's not my brevet.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  3. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

I was on the JL website looking at wallets. Two of their twinstitch 8 CC slot wallets costs $1,000,599. I realize that JL is expensive but that's a little much. Regular price of their other twinstitch is only $600.

I'm sure it's just a website error but I still thought this was funny.

4. Nikola

Nikola Senior member

I stopped even looking the accessories at John Lobb when I realized Vass Budapest is selling the belt from the exact same museum calf leather 5 (five) times cheaper. I mean, enough is enough.

5. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

People still buy JL?

JL is has been on the decline for the past 5 years. I don't like anything about them. They've always been more expensive then their high end English counterparts all while decreasing their quality and also limiting what customer can order. They've turned into big fashion and the recent addition of their new designer has only strengthensed their direction. Might be good for business but I've had enough of them

6. Nikola

Nikola Senior member

True .. EG beats JL easily in boot compartment.. New direction is a disaster. Perhaps they are counting on their reputation to bring more big money customers from east who usually want something more than a pure classic. JL was my first big love when I discovered the world of english shoes 2 years ago, but beside the Lopez loafers, I would purchase everything else at EG.

7. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

To each his own. JL is still better than EG in my book, although not everywhere (like boots, yes), although when price is factored in EG probably takes the prize because there isn't a $500 quality difference between EG non TD and JL Prestige. Basically I end up buying whichever I fancy from each maker, and for similar models like Westminster/William I buy whichever I can get for a lower price

JL makes some awful looking models but their classics and some of the new stuff still look superb. Personal opinion.

8. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

There's a few but there aren't many models from JL that I wouldn't mind owning. So far I only own one pair of JLs. But the difference in price between EG and JL to this point for the most part hasn't been worth buying the JL shoe.

Even if their prices where the same I still would chose EG over JL. I find EG has many more models that I like and a whole lot more options which I can chose that makes EG a much better option for me.

9. MoosicPa

MoosicPa Senior member

I can't agree that that JLP's quality has been declining. I purchased a couple of pairs over the last 2 years, and have not had any quality issues. As for their more recent styling, I can agree that it leaves something to be desired (what was that whole Paul Smith thing?) And their newly released models for 2015.... No Comment! :uhoh:

But for my money their Philip II oxford is the quintessential dress shoe. Nothing comes close. :fonz:

10. PhiloVance

PhiloVance Senior member

I'm generally an EG man myself, but as far as boots go I would rate my JL Tudors in Parisian Brown museum calf pretty highly. I definitely prefer them to my EG Ecton/Dover boots (although I love them too :)) Then again, the Tudors retailed for about $1900, the EGs maybe $1500. Quality-wise, I dont think there's that much of a difference either way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But JL does make some exquisite shoes. I purchased these JL 2008s in 2009 at the factory in Northampton and I still havent worked up the courage to put them on:

[​IMG]

11. MoosicPa

MoosicPa Senior member

12. PhiloVance

PhiloVance Senior member

I think Spring 2015 is going to be the time :)

13. mw313

mw313 Senior member

That is what I figured from the creasing on the far sides.

They offered to recraft them and adjust the last to do that as well. That is great that you think that the leather is in good condition though. I just figured that if you thought the shoe was good and if I could get a good deal, it would be worth trying it out and having the recraft accomplished to fix the small details in fit.

Thanks for the input. I'll keep you guys posted if I am able to get a deal worth taking the plunge for.

14. mw313

mw313 Senior member

I agree in EG over JL Paris. There are so many more options in EG.

15. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

I often wonder is the price difference purely marketing and a beveled waist? Is the leather of the same quality? When I hear people say things like bespoke quality skins are above EG and JL how much room for improvement is there. Both makers have to be in the 99 percentile, no?

As to the argument between the two EG happens to be more classic english in my eyes. I love the asquith, dover, galway, chelsea, and malvern among others. Although I do love the plum color JL offers.