John Lobb Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dddrees, Feb 22, 2013.

1. MoosicPa

MoosicPa Senior member

Lol.... Glad to be of assistance.

2. hjhr

hjhr Well-Known Member

No, rubber, type SAR.[​IMG]

3. Leaves

Leaves Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Let's see what this designer is presenting in January before we pass judgement. Can't say I like the notion of JLP becoming a new fashion brand. There are ways to evolve in this business without going completely over the top with crazy designs. Hope she has figured that out. :) There are other news being presented in January by JLP, that are a bit worrying, but I'm not at libirty to discuss it.

4. Stefan88

Stefan88 Senior member

Looks like it's just a sole glued on another. Doubt any cobbler in Norway has the original from Lobb. To be honest it looks rather similar to ones Paraboot uses. Don't want to recommend anyone that might destroy your beautiful shoes.

5. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

It's JL's answer to commando; however I know my commando soles are stitched through. It's a bit thick as I wanted to pick up a pair of pebble Chambord II boots but these soles just moved me away from them.

6. labravajazz

labravajazz Senior member

Actually it's more like ridgeway than commando IMO. And for mine I like those soles very much on robust looking model like William II Chambord etc, they wear really well and feel great underfoot.
    True they are like some other Euro soles for HESCHUNG and Paraboot in fact I seem to recall reading somewhere that HESCHUNG made the these kind of rubber soles used by LOBB.
    Anyway they sure are not Topys!

7. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

I agree Ridgeway is a better comparison now that you mentioned it. It's a sturdy sole but it's too casual for my work environment.

8. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

A little St Crepin damage from the JL sale i mentioned...

[​IMG]

9. jujujoo11

jujujoo11 Senior member

I don't know if this has been discussed. Seems like JLP increased their price on the website. $1750 to $1855

10. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

I believe John Lobb (RTW) has stopped using this sole with the JL logo integrated into the design. I seem to remember that sole has a proper name, but I can't remember the name. The sole came in two versions, one where the profile extended right to the edge of the sole, to be glued and another one where the profile did not go all the way to the edge (like a 'Ridgeway' sole) which was stitched into place.

I have a pair of boots, style 'Hanover' (maybe 12 years old) which utilizes the stitched version.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015

11. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

Goddamn. I tend to mostly buy JL shoes but I'm not going to buy anymore pairs at that price.

12. Nikola

Nikola Senior member

Yep. Prices are up. Time to edit my ad from 1,000 EUR brand new to 1,055 EUR .. [​IMG]

This is the second price increase in the last 12 months I think. Totaling more than 10%.

I remember at the time I bought my Lopez they were 695 GBP, after that a 735 GBP and now they are 780 GBP

13. chogall

chogall Senior member

14. Nikola

Nikola Senior member

Something strange is happening at John Lobb and I don't like the smell of it. First, there's a new young female designer with some highly questionable design directions.

Their refreshed Instagram page does not promise anything good too. Now the prices are sky rocketing.

15. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

I'm confused by it as well. If they're making shoes on the continent, and importing leather from the UK, an increase in price would make sense (falling euro compared to goods priced in sterling).

But if their shoes are made in the UK with leather bought and imported from the continent, prices should be lower or static.

That said, maybe it's demand.