• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

They used to be!

The G and Gs took 4 years to break in!!!

Now they're amazing and I've ordered a bespoke pair of alligator boots boots from Tony
1f60a.png
1f60a.png
1f60a.png

He put some weight on our Tony...

He was a skinny lad a few years ago..

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps we will have to agree to disagree.

I think of the EG Chelsea sold in the US by Leffot at $1225, and then I think of the JL City II sold in the US by JL-Costa Mesa or Leathersoul at $1265. I own, and really like, both models. However, IMO, the craftsmanship and attention to detail of the City II is at least as good, if not better than, the EG Chelsea.

FWIW, I own more EG models than I do JL models.

Yes, we'll have to agree to disagree. No wrong in that. :D I hold Edward Green higher than the JLP City Line. I'd say the JLP Prestige is closer to or above EG though. This is my honest opinion, but I might be bias because I wear a lot more EGs than JLP and I also have a commercial interest in EG as you all know, although I try not to let that affect me.

To each his own, we might as well start comparing doughnut fillings. :)

By EG I assume you mean non-Top Drawer models.

If I understand you correctly, you have:

EG > JL Classic line
EG = JL Prestige line (but perhaps JL Prestige line > EG)

I would go:
EG = JL Classic Line
EG < JL Prestige line (this one isn't even terribly close for me)***

But can we agree on Bavarian Cream? :fistbump:

*** whether JL Prestige is worth the price increase relative to EG is a separate matter; sometimes yes and sometimes no, IMO

Last edited:

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would go:

EG = JL Classic Line
EG < JL Prestige line (this one isn't even terribly close for me)***

*** whether JL Prestige is worth the price increase relative to EG is a separate matter; sometimes yes and sometimes no, IMO

Well said. From the Top Drawer commissions I have seen, I would rank them slightly above JL Prestiege.

Last edited:

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, the Madison Ave store can take the measurements and do the fittings. 1st pair takes about 9 months from measurements to final product.

16 months for me. DELOS 6 months.

My understanding is that JLP bespoke is hand-welted (and re-welted by hand during their resoling process if they deem it necessary).

:nodding:

The EG team is more what you expect from a normal SA.

I was served by a young lady ..

wait, wut? :smarmy:

Last edited:

Hirsh

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

He put some weight on our Tony...

He was a skinny lad a few years ago..

He still makes the most comfortable shoes on the market, even better than Lobb, where he trained many moons ago
1f60a.png
1f60a.png
1f431.png
1f431.png

member2000r

Reaction score
Can I ask about the chapel and William 2? Do they fit similar or I have to size down from chapel to get my size in William 2?

Mark Lee Jin Yi

Reaction score
Can I ask about the chapel and William 2? Do they fit similar or I have to size down from chapel to get my size in William 2?

I believe the chapel is on an 8000 last?

The 7000 last is the same as the 8000, except that the 7000 has a round toe while the 8000 has a chisel toe.

I wear 7.5 on my William 2 but size 8 on the Jodhpur 2s which is on the 7000 last. The reason i had to size up was because David at the Jermyn St store felt that the 7000 was a little slimmer, and therefore my little toe had to a bit further down the shoe where its widest. The William 2 is a little bit wider than the 7000 last.

I would reckon if you find the 8000 last too wide, then you'd probably size down. But if they fit snug or even slightly too snug at your little toe, then the same size in the William 2 is fine!

OREO

Reaction score
I own the William 2 and i'v tried on the Chapel on the 8000last and i'v tried on a phillip 2 on the 7000last and they are very different. I found the 7000last to be closer to the William last but i found the 8000last completely different (and a horrible fit for my feet) which is a shame because i'v been thinking about the chapel for a while. I'd say that the chapel is much narrower than the William (but this is my observation and to be honest my feet are completely marsupialed).

Mark Lee Jin Yi

Reaction score
I own the William 2 and i'v tried on the Chapel on the 8000last and i'v tried on a phillip 2 on the 7000last and they are very different. I found the 7000last to be closer to the William last but i found the 8000last completely different (and a horrible fit for my feet) which is a shame because i'v been thinking about the chapel for a while. I'd say that the chapel is much narrower than the William (but this is my observation and to be honest my feet are completely marsupialed).

Yes the chapel does seem much narrower than the William. I didn't know the 8000 last and the 7000 last are very different! But i do know that both the 8000 and 7000 lasts don't fit me AT ALL for normal shoes because there's just way too much heel slip compared to the William. I guess the jodhpur boots make the slipping a little better.

Oh i also think the 7000s and 8000s are deeper, whereas the williams are more shallow. Less creasing on the vamps on my williams.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads