Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

John Lobb Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dddrees, Feb 22, 2013.

1. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

Curious...I remember someone here on SF saying that JLP bespoke is GoodYear, whereas Lobb St. James is always hand welted.

Can you confirm...or put that to bed?

2. Griffyndor

Griffyndor Senior member

My understanding is that JLP bespoke is hand-welted (and re-welted by hand during their resoling process if they deem it necessary).

3. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

Thanks for that...different from what i thought I had read here but nice to know.

4. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

Keep in mind there are some great classic line models on the 7000 last. IMO, the 7000 last may be the single best dress shoe last, regardless of maker.

5. Leaves

Leaves Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

There are styles I like in the Classic Line, but the craftsmanship and attention to detail should be better, given the price point. But that's just my personal opinion. I probably just slammed the JLP door in my own face :) but that's how I feel.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014

6. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

Perhaps we will have to agree to disagree.

I think of the EG Chelsea sold in the US by Leffot at $1225, and then I think of the JL City II sold in the US by JL-Costa Mesa or Leathersoul at $1265. I own, and really like, both models. However, IMO, the craftsmanship and attention to detail of the City II is at least as good, if not better than, the EG Chelsea.

FWIW, I own more EG models than I do JL models.

7. Xiaogou

Xiaogou Senior member

Like you, I have both. At this level of shoemaking, assuming fit is spot on, it just comes down to preference. I would also argue that any shoe from the prestige line is better than EG. perhaps top drawer is better than the Prestige line. I do that they are more expensive (top drawer) and EG customer service is not as good as Lobb.

8. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

I own EG and JL Prestige and I don't see the latter always better. The base model leather's are different (crust vs. aniline) and although Prestige are softer, they aren't as durable as EG's crust. I like JL's style for a smart shoe as it's fancier. I go almost hands down EG just because their lasts are the best I've tried. Soles are prettier with Prestige but durability appears simliar (I'm really not one who's really big on fancy soles though). Prestige have smoother lines and the designs are great so from aesthetics, they are better.

The difference for me is preference in the various factors and not "better" with one brand over the other.

9. chogall

chogall Senior member

If you like EG's last, then G&G would be equally as good ya?

10. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

G&G also works for me and has been my JL Prestige "substitute." I do like the Prestige style but the 7000 & 8000 heel cups just don't work for me; 8695 (or whatever number it is) works well so I have shoes in those.

I do really like JL's double monk boot and that'll be something I'll be keeping an eye on.

11. Hirsh

Hirsh Senior member

I have both handmade bespoke St James Lobbs, and MTO G and Gstaad, and the G and Gs are more comfortable!

12. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

Then why did you say two pages back that your bespoke Lobbs are the most comfortable shoes you own?

13. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

The St Jermyn street JL team is amazing...

They're friendly and extremely professional...

The EG team is more what you expect from a normal SA.

I was served by a young lady who didn't have a lot of interest and knowledge in upmarket shoes...

I have been many times to JL St James in view to get a pair of bespoke there and I didn't like the shoes I have seen there...

G&G and Delos are my favourites.

JL Paris is my nirvana but it is too expensive and I prefer now spending my money on my family..

14. Leaves

Leaves Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Yes, we'll have to agree to disagree. No wrong in that. :D I hold Edward Green higher than the JLP City Line. I'd say the JLP Prestige is closer to or above EG though. This is my honest opinion, but I might be bias because I wear a lot more EGs than JLP and I also have a commercial interest in EG as you all know, although I try not to let that affect me.

To each his own, we might as well start comparing doughnut fillings. :)

15. Hirsh

Hirsh Senior member

They used to be!

The G and Gs took 4 years to break in!!!

Now they're amazing and I've ordered a bespoke pair of alligator boots boots from Tony[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014