• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hirsh, your post confuses me. JL Paris has their RTW shoes made in Northampton, England. French design with English construction. JLP bespoke are made in France. JL St James are made in England and only bespoke, no RTW. That said, almost any bespoke shoe will be more comfortable that any RTW shoe.

I do agree that JL St. James is the original. I wish JLP were not even called John Lobb. Should be Hermes!!

Last edited:

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Hirsh, your post confuses me. JL Paris has their RTW shoes made in Northampton, England. French design with English construction. JLP bespoke are made in France. JL St James are made in England and only bespoke, no RTW. That said, almost any bespoke shoe will be more comfortable that any RTW shoe.

I do agree that JL St. James is the original. I wish JLP were not even called John Lobb. Should be Hermes!!

Why do you say that JLP is "French" design? Just curious. I thought their lasts were developed in Northamptonshire? And I believe their current creative director is from the English West Indies? The sales team are all French though it seems to me, those I have spoken to at last.

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Why do you say that JLP is "French" design? Just curious. I thought their lasts were developed in Northamptonshire? And I believe their current creative director is from the English West Indies? The sales team are all French though it seems to me, those I have spoken to at last.

That is what I was told at the Madison Ave store. How true it is, I do not know. If what you say is true, which I have no grounds to dispute, that is even more of a reason they shouldn't use the JL name. Again, just my opinion.

OREO

Reaction score

Any plans for Skoatiebolaget stocking John Lobb in the future? Please say yes.....

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Any plans for Skoatiebolaget stocking John Lobb in the future? Please say yes.....

+1

PCK1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just go the the REAL John Lobb shop in St James (rtw owned by Hermes) for the most comfortable shoes you'll ever buy

What relevance does this have at all to their conversation except you spamming for brand-recognition?

Everyone in this thread is fully aware that there are 2 Lobb's...you talk as if we are all neophytes that know nothing of the difference between the two companies...when in fact you are the neophyte who fails to contribute anything of use to this thread...

Last edited:

Hirsh

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Jl sold their name to Hermes in Pais, where I had my shoes and boots done when I lived there..

The Real John Lobb is in a league of its own!
1f431.png
1f431.png

PCK1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Explain why the Parisian Lobb is the real Lobb, please.

Ignore her. She doesn't know what she is talking about and only likes to flaunt brands that she owns.

Though you Xiaogou certainly already know this...for those that do not...or are confused now by Hirsh's lack of knowledge..

Technically speaking they are both the REAL Lobb.

Lobb St. James is the original Lobb bootmaker and bespoke shoemaker which holds a Royal Warrant.

Lobb St. James later sold the name to Hermes and Hermes created a Lobb RTW line from which you can also order MTO...and they have a very high quality bespoke operation based out of their Paris HQ. And Lobb Paris (so called because this new Lobb is based out of Paris and owned by Hermes) is considered among the best of the bespoke operations...

So to say that one is real and the other isn't is false.

In terms of bespoke quality...they are both considered top shelf.

Last edited:

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doesn't JLP also offer bespoke in NYC?

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, the Madison Ave store can take the measurements and do the fittings. 1st pair takes about 9 months from measurements to final product.

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Not in the near future, but they are on my radar, of course. The Classic Line does nothing for me personally but Prestige is wonderful. I love both the 7000 and 8000 lasts to death. I just need a good reason to justify the price point for Prestige (about £1000 GBP inc. VAT). I also need a larger store. Maybe I need to open up Stateside. Bigger is better, right? :)

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Do what vass did in Budapest and open a new store one retail space over thus sandwiching a store with shoes from the same retailer

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads