John Lobb Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dddrees, Feb 22, 2013.

1. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

I too have no consequences when I've done them in the past; however, if a factory resole is expected, it's something to keep in mind. I don't do them know because I prefer the feel of leather soles.

2. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

^
    If that is EG's stance on re-soling topyed shoes, it seems contradictory. The same could be said of any rubber sole offering that EG does, and they re-sole those just fine.

In any case, this conversation has been done to death, so do as you will gents...

3. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

That's very true.

4. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Quote:Likewise. I've never had any of the supposedly negative consequences of Topies emerge over years of use. And I don't know of anyone who has. I'd love to hear EG's explanation of how moisture from one's foot manages to ventilate through the full synthetic soles that they do offer. Whatevs. They sure don't need my permission to set their own policy. If that is the stated reason, however, it seems a trifle bogus.

5. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Really my comment was more to highlight policies (for better or for worse this is dictated by the company) and not the merit/rationale of topy/rubber sole/Dainite/Commando/etc.

Just wanted to bring it up to @klasmeister should he go that route and his preference is factory re-soles. Consequently there are numerous experienced cobblers that could do the job.

I've had Grenson's customer service told me in the past that they would not accept resole even if the heel was just replaced by a third party. Seems restrictive to me but their policy led me to others' service.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  6. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Quote:Fair point. It seems the actual potential negative consequence of installing Topies is having to forego a future factory EG resole. Someone considering making that choice should indeed be aware of the consequence.

7. chogall

chogall Senior member

One of the big risk for manufacturers to take outside repaired shoes is the inconsistency of service quality from different local cobblers. They could never tell how bad the shoes could be fucked up to be sent into their standard factory flow.

8. DWFII

That's right on point. Cobblers often (mainly) use a machine to trim the edges of new outsoles...as well as overlays like Topy. Every time the shoe is run past the trimmer blades, a thin...sometimes not so thin...layer of material is removed--that's its purpose. A slip in concentration, an attitude of indifference, too heavy a hand, etc., can remove more material than necessary. I can't count the number of times I've seen outsoles and welts trimmed so close to the stitching that it endangers the integrity of the stitching...nevermind making rewelting an absolute must because the old, trimmed welt is too narrow to restitch. One example...there are many others.

Something I've alluded to in the past with photos and blog excerpts etc., etc., is that most people don't have the experience or the insight to recognize problems when they see them. Ever looked into a shoe and seen the insole cracked--looking like a mudflat in a drought? Chances are that the shoes will have rubber outsoles...holding in heat and moisture.

And studies (which I have cited) show that occlusive footwear--footwear that prevents the outsole from breathing and wicking moisture away from the foot-- is a leading cause of foot disease.

Not everyone is the same...some people perspire more than others. Some people generate more heat. Some people have a greater natural immunity to infections. Some people can adjust to sleeping on rocks while others can't get a wink.

The makers...whether they be bespoke or RTW...cannot make shoes only for the "golden boys" among us. They have to know and address the weaknesses of the materials and the processes. That or abdicate responsibility.

On a forum that endlessly obsesses over relatively minor, mostly superficial, details, it doesn't seem unreasonable that such weaknesses as are inherent in the use of fundamentally flawed techniques or materials, be similarly explored.

--

9. jujujoo11

jujujoo11 Senior member

If I wear my leather sole out in the rain am I doomed?[​IMG]

10. DWFII

If you wear your leather shoes out in the rain, are you doomed?

If the maker uses steam or moisture to last the shoes, are the shoes doomed?

If you sweat heavily inside your shoes and they have leather insoles, are they...or you...doomed?

I don't know the answer to that, if only because, like confusion itself (your "smilie"), it's a matter of perspective, isn't it? But if you think you're doomed...it's a perfect argument in favour of corfam.

That said, the answer to your question is obvious--don't do it. Look for Tingleys.

11. jujujoo11

jujujoo11 Senior member

next thing im going to invest in. I would hate it to catch myself in a downpour with no protection.

12. DWFII

Being without protection is never good....:D

BTW...and neither here nor there...We used to mount aluminum "u" bar on the bottom of Tingleys and pull them over our wading boots when we fished some of the big treacherous rivers here in the upper left hand corner for steelhead and salmon. You have to really stretch them. My last pair went over 10 years before they wouldn't fit the newer style wading boots.

13. klasmeister

klasmeister Member

Just couldn't resist... [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Dubiously Honored Moderator

Very nice KM, all resistance is futile...

15. chobochobo

chobochobo Rubber Chicken Dubiously Honored Moderator

Does anyone know where to get a pair of replacement laces for the 2009 in midnight merlot please? I've tried asking in JL shops in HK, Seoul and Taipei etc without any luck :(