John Lobb 4800 last - Anyone tried it?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by zjpj83, Mar 26, 2006.

1. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

They carry them in Bergdorf Goodman now. They are very chiseled in the proper sense of that word. The toe is literally angled and comes to a chisel tip. Has anyone tried them? I like them surprisingly more than most chisel last I've seen. I'm thinking of buying a pair. Do they fit like the 8000? I'm going to go give them a whirl Tuesday. Thoughts?

2. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

Z, I tried that last on recently at JL Shop and it does fit very much like the 8000. BTW, JL is now beginning to produce Prestiege Line Bootmaker Series on the 8000. Check out the Welham, a new Prestiege Line apron front derby on the 8000, it's magnificent, especially in Parisian brown calf.[​IMG]

3. medwards

medwards Senior member Dubiously Honored

And what about the 1105? Last October, I had the opportunity to see -- and try on -- some of the shoes that John Lobb Paris was crafting on its new 1105 last. This last is apparently the next generation of the 7000 last -- a rather classic rounded toe shape with some sleekness but modified in the forefoot in an effort to give a better fit to more people. As has been written here before, the rather elongated 7000 is a bit roomy for many people (myself included) and while the 1105 actually looks a bit wider across the widest part of the foot, it is designed to fit a bit more securely. In some respects, it appears to be a move back toward the 8695 but a tad more elegant. In any event, it certainly fit my foot better and some believe that it will eventually come to replace the 7000...though that remains to be seen. The shoes that were being crafted on this last were -- I believe -- all Spring 2006 models. The three I saw were all interesting. There was a five-eyelet oxford called (as I recall) the Langton. What was particularly noteworthy about this model was that while it looked like a stitched toe oxford, the toe was not a separate piece of leather; rather, the effect of a stitched cap-toe was created by creating a fold in the material. The second model was an unlined five eyelet derby called the Medbourne. And the third was an unlined two-eyelet derby called the Hallaton which I saw in both a leather and reverse calf version. Both -- which resemble the Marston in appearance -- were very light and flexible shoes with the feel of a slipper. None of these models had the beveled waist, which still remains a hallmark of the 7000 Prestige line. I'd be interested if others have seen these or different models on this new last and their opinions of both the look and the fit that it provides.

4. aportnoy

And what about the 1105?
    I tried that last too Medwards. The Lobb boutique had 2 models that felt as thought they weighed half of what a typical JL comes in at. They were unlined and incredibly flexible given their sleek appearance. I don't recall the derby but the two oxfords strike a chord. They are quite comforatble but the 7000 fits me well so I didn't give them too much consdieration.

5. sysdoc

sysdoc Senior member

6. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

sysdoc - you find them to fit like the 8000 (like your Vintage 2002s, for instance)?

7. sysdoc

sysdoc Senior member

sysdoc - you find them to fit like the 8000 (like your Vintage 2002s, for instance)?
    [​IMG] you remember my JL 2002s ... I'm impressed! Let me try them on right now so I am able to give you some hopefully useful data ... ok, I'd say the 4800 is narrower. It feels a bit tighter. I've compared the Sandon to a JL Newland, because both have the plain toe. I've got both in the same size - of course. I agree with you that the 4800 looks great. I instantly fell in love with the shoe. Its good looks don't seem to come across in the picture. Then again, this picture was taken before they were polished the first time.

8. sysdoc

sysdoc Senior member

BTW, JL's 4800 last ain't a new thing, but seemingly a well kept secret.

My Sandons have the production number 31xxx, which places them into 2002 or 2003. Recently made shoes are in the 44k and up.

9. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

Ok, thanks, that is useful advice. In my case, narrower is not better.

10. benecios

benecios Senior member

I have the Langton in Pewter and another new model called the Sutton in Brown.They are both Museum Calf.I usually take a UK 7 but in the Langton I have took a UK 7.5 as it seems to run a touch small.Both are stunning shoes IMHO.If anyone is interested I can post some pictures tonight.

11. aportnoy

I have the Langton in Pewter and another new model called the Sutton in Brown.They are both Museum Calf.I usually take a UK 7 but in the Langton I have took a UK 7.5 as it seems to run a touch small.Both are stunning shoes IMHO.If anyone is interested I can post some pictures tonight.

Yes, picture please!

12. benecios

benecios Senior member

Here are the Langton and Sutton,brand new for 2006.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. benecios

benecios Senior member

14. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

Not the 4800, but very nice. Gorgeous hand stitching on the Langton.

15. Duveen

Duveen Senior member

Love the medallion on the shoe on the left (the Langton?). Beautiful shoe!!