• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

    Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

    Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

John G. Hardy Linen/Cotton

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2010
Messages
1,274
Reaction score
632
Does anyone have any experience with these fabrics?

I was thinking #9272 for an olive sports coat, but am unsure how heavy this is. I'd rather it be on the light side.
 

AndrewRogers

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 6, 2008
Messages
1,613
Reaction score
26
Originally Posted by tim_horton
Does anyone have any experience with these fabrics?

I was thinking #9272 for an olive sports coat, but am unsure how heavy this is. I'd rather it be on the light side.


It's not on the light side. For that, try something Italian. LBD Harrisons do linen in about 300 gms. You may want to consider that. It is in their Mersolair bunch but only about an ounce lighter than John G Hardy linen.
 

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2010
Messages
1,274
Reaction score
632
Originally Posted by AndrewRogers
It's not on the light side. For that, try something Italian. LBD Harrisons do linen in about 300 gms. You may want to consider that. It is in their Mersolair bunch but only about an ounce lighter than John G Hardy linen.

The one I mentioned is cotton at 9oz/260g, not 300g. Though honestly it's all Greek to me. How many grams would be considered lightweight in cotton?
 

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Jun 15, 2004
Messages
3,138
Reaction score
54
Originally Posted by tim_horton
The one I mentioned is cotton at 9oz/260g, not 300g. Though honestly it's all Greek to me. How many grams would be considered lightweight in cotton?

Lighter cloth will crease when you think about whether you want to wear it. 240 grams is as light as I would consider for a cotton jacket.
 

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2010
Messages
1,274
Reaction score
632
Originally Posted by Will
Lighter cloth will crease when you think about whether you want to wear it. 240 grams is as light as I would consider for a cotton jacket.

Thanks, Will. I'd be using this as an informal jacket. The dress code of my office is extremely lax, and I don't mind a few creases in cotton or linen, but I don't want to look like I slept in the jacket! Maybe the 260 oz. will be a good weight for it then - on the light side, but not so light that it'll look like it was balled up.
 

AndrewRogers

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 6, 2008
Messages
1,613
Reaction score
26
Originally Posted by tim_horton
The one I mentioned is cotton at 9oz/260g, not 300g. Though honestly it's all Greek to me. How many grams would be considered lightweight in cotton?

Sorry, didn't spot that! The cotton is nice but I would worry about is durability.
 

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Joined
Sep 30, 2010
Messages
4,906
Reaction score
1,169
Yes, I might have to DTO you.

Who makes your pants?
 

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite style of coat for winter? Choose up to 3

  • Peacoat

  • Great coat

  • Trench

  • Mac

  • Chesterfield

  • Duffle coat

  • Topcoat

  • Shearling

  • Balmacaan

  • Parka

  • Loden

  • Car coat


Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
503,158
Messages
10,563,701
Members
223,358
Latest member
getbioxtrim
Top