• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

nsubrmnn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Side note: imo unless the stacking goes high up on your shin you should never hem denim
I don’t think that is necessarily true. I think there are many factors that play into good stacks:
1. Cut of the denjm
2. Material (soft stretchy denim stacks poorly, stiff denim stacks well)
3. The length of your legs (if you have short, stubby legs your stacks, if big, will make you look shorter)

in general I think we all probably should be getting our pants hemmed, myself included. Unless you have insanely long legs, most of us can’t truly wear a 34 inch length. Currently the trend is also to have cropped Pants or no stacks (look at the runway for FW19 & SS20 for Celine and YSL, there is minimal if any stacking)

I think actually both (cropped or no stacks) look much better on shorter people than lots of stacking, honestly it makes everyone look taller and more trim

TL;DR: stacks aren’t for everyone; current trend is no stacks/minimal stacks; do yourself a favor, hem your pants

Last edited:

WhaleShark

Reaction score
JE in the Alps. Parka. Vest. Obsidians.

Attachments

• 9CC08E37-0739-49C1-AF95-DBCEF30D02C5.jpeg
    9CC08E37-0739-49C1-AF95-DBCEF30D02C5.jpeg
    207.5 KB · Views: 90
  • 28BD09A2-2BB9-4A64-91A5-8EC5458F4542.jpeg
    28BD09A2-2BB9-4A64-91A5-8EC5458F4542.jpeg
    182.7 KB · Views: 103

JBad28

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would HIGHLY suggest taking your pants in with the shoes you intend to wear them with to a tailor. Have the tailor pin the pants to the height that you want. You may have to get them tapered as well. Pants generally get narrower as they get down to the cuff (unless they are straight legs), so if you chop off 6 inches they may turn out baggy at your new cuff.
You really shouldn’t just say “I want a 28 inch inseam”, because the length of the pant really depends on the outseam (drop/rise + inseam + where you wear them, hips vs waist) and this can vary by brand or fit or even denim to denim.

This man knows what he's talking about, listen to him.

I don’t think that is necessarily true. I think there are many factors that play into good stacks:
1. Cut of the denjm
2. Material (soft stretchy denim stacks poorly, stiff denim stacks well)
3. The length of your legs (if you have short, stubby legs your stacks, if big, will make you look shorter)

in general I think we all probably should be getting our pants hemmed, myself included. Unless you have insanely long legs, most of us can’t truly wear a 34 inch length. Currently the trend is also to have cropped Pants or no stacks (look at the runway for FW19 & SS20 for Celine and YSL, there is minimal if any stacking)

I think actually both (cropped or no stacks) look much better on shorter people than lots of stacking, honestly it makes everyone look taller and more trim

TL;DR: stacks aren’t for everyone; current trend is no stacks/minimal stacks; do yourself a favor, hem your pants

You're right, there definitely are many factors that play into good stacks, however I'd like to counter your argument about trends and not wearing 34 inseams. I think it definitely matters on your style, some people short or tall could definitely pull it off better than others, depending what they're wearing. I have seen cropped or no stacks look terrible on short people and vice versa, totally depends on the body type, fit, and style.

As far as trends, I definitely get that if you follow trends yeah, right now the big one is cropped pants or no stacks. Again, really depends on the style you're going for.

That being said, I am 5'8" and haven't hemmed my JE denim, but I will be. I actually purchased a hemmed pair from @Yoshi and I love that length, perfect amount of stacks. So what I will be doing is taking that pair with me to the tailor and telling them to make it exactly the same length and keep the original hem.
TL;DR: Stacks depends on your style, some do it better than others, shorter or taller. If you follow trends than yes, he's right cropped and no stacks are in. If you have a pair of denim that has a length you like, bring it to the tailor with you and tell them to make it the same.

Last edited:

JBad28

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m in love with these Black Fireside shorts, they’re super comfortable, fit is on point and the quality, materials, and details are insane. Here’s a closeup pic but it doesn’t do it justice. These are also my first pair of JE shorts, wouldn’t pay full price for any of the shorts but they’re awesome and my favorite in my closet.

83C5F28D-31F4-4E8E-B652-7B6B49E68F19.jpeg

itzkoolkidkam

Reaction score
I picked up the game shorts in gold and olive. Wish they had an xs in stock in the burgundy colorway. Glad I went with an xs, a small would’ve been too loose for my liking. If anyone is selling burgundy in xs, let me know :). I won’t be able to wear this for a few months though

Basalt
Game shorts

EB9E4473-F4E3-479A-993E-A775008EEFF1.jpeg

OnTheMoon

Reaction score
I probably should’ve mentioned that when I’m talking about stacks I’m assuming the denim is already skinny af (like on the JE models).

Stacks definitely make you look short if the denim isn’t super fitted (again like how they are on JE models) but otherwise I think some stacks look better than no stacks.

For me, the only time I’ve had “droopy” stacks is when the denim isn’t tapered enough.

JBad28

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did a comparison of my only hemmed pair (Onyx to 29.5”) and one of my non hemmed (Washed Graphite 33.5"), both JE Cast 2’s and both with Chelsea Boots

I’m most likely going to hem it to a 31” inseam as that’s imo for me, the sweet spot for low and hi tops. I will definitely go in wearing these boots.

Let me know your thoughts

F292D847-3A17-4A98-9E3C-BD78CEC3C272.jpeg
56F843DF-9FFE-4728-AE28-DAD8FCE33161.jpeg
68B93A7F-F57D-49C2-B0BD-7C7EE4B63DA3.jpeg

JBad28

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up the game shorts in gold and olive. Wish they had an xs in stock in the burgundy colorway. Glad I went with an xs, a small would’ve been too loose for my liking. If anyone is selling burgundy in xs, let me know :). I won’t be able to wear this for a few months though

Basalt
Game shorts

View attachment 1298512

These look awesome bro, I have a medium in burgundy and honestly, I think I should've sized down to a small.

If anyone is looking, I have Medium BNWT for sale at BF Price + Shipping! Hit me up!

itzkoolkidkam

Reaction score
I did a comparison of my only hemmed pair (Onyx to 29.5”) and one of my non hemmed (Washed Graphite 33.5"), both JE Cast 2’s and both with Chelsea Boots

I’m most likely going to hem it to a 31” inseam as that’s imo for me, the sweet spot for low and hi tops. I will definitely go in wearing these boots.

Let me know your thoughts

View attachment 1298514 View attachment 1298515 View attachment 1298516

If the denim isn’t tapered, I would def consider hemming, it’s just a cleaner and less sloppy look for bigger leg openings. For tapered denim, I prefer stacks. Nothing irks me more than a pair of skinny jeans that just sit right above the ankle/shoe. The biggest factor with stacks is actually taking the time and making them look “neater” and not just toss them on. Something I learned from my raw denim days on superfuture (Dior denim with 38” inseams ?). It’s all preference at the end of the day though, just own it and wear with what works for your body type.

JBad28

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the denim isn’t tapered, I would def consider hemming, it’s just a cleaner and less sloppy look for bigger leg openings. For tapered denim, I prefer stacks. Nothing irks me more than a pair of skinny jeans that just sit right above the ankle/shoe. The biggest factor with stacks is actually taking the time and making them look “neater” and not just toss them on. Something I learned from my raw denim days on superfuture (Dior denim with 38” inseams ?). It’s all preference at the end of the day though, just own it and wear with what works for your body type.

100% agree, yeah I definitely take time to make the stacks look “neater” with the longer denim. That’s the great thing about JE, whether it’s washed or raw, the stacks stay in place.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads