• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

nsubrmnn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got my replica stuff in, thanks @MIKE_JE

I thought I’d give you guys my initial thoughts…
42AA31D7-0DC7-4E7F-B8F3-D2E70D96033C.jpeg
80E4EF84-BBF0-4B0A-9B0B-C199ED7972D5.jpeg

MATERIALS:

When I opened the package I was impressed by the weight of these items. They are hefty, burly materials. They weigh a ton. Perfect for cold midwestern winters, TBH I’m not even sure it is cold enough in the south to warrant these yet, but damn are they cozy.

the fleece is a heavy 26oz fleeced terry. Similar to the previous replica stuff. The hand feel is dry and crisp.

76C07B3B-94DA-4E09-A35D-EE1330A810F8.jpeg
3DCA2A72-ACF4-4421-8976-F0B511AC2E4C.jpeg

I think because of the dyeing process the material has “structure” to it. Which is something I miss with a lot of the other Mainline JE offerings. That structure is what allows it to “stack” rather than bunch up at the hems/cuffs. I remember my older replica stuff having a similar hand feel initially; after numerous washes the dry/crisp feeling dissipated. That isn’t a bad thing, the material grew soft to the touch with wear and washes and now is one of my favorite items I own…hefty but soft with some structure.

COLOR:
I opted for the vintage black. In my mind I was hoping for something similar to the prior replica black.
EBC454D0-9659-4248-8A25-07F0B4F9EF19.jpeg

as you can see in the pic above, the previous iteration of replica stuff was a deep, saturated garment dyed black (maybe not as black as fabric dyed black, but what do you expect with garment dying?).
23EBE100-333E-45AF-9FE2-6A882177CB20.jpeg
when compared to the vintage black (left), the OG replica black (right) is far more saturated. The garment dye process gives it the subtle faded vintage look, but it isn’t overwhelming or washed out. (This piece has been washed more times than I can count and still looks great imo). The vintage black (which JE has used a handful of times before) is more of a charcoal; reminiscent of a (wait for it) vintage black sweatshirt. I’ve been seeing this color a lot as of late, and to be honest, I’m not sure how I feel about it. The vintage black has more red/green undertones to it, whereas the OG black has more blue undertones. I’m not sure how they made the vintage black, but it looks like a garment dyed sweatshirt with a pigment dye treatment. The effect is cool, but I worry if we will run into the same issue the 26oz (GOAT) LA sweatpants had; ie color transfer, especially with spot cleaning. If it is pigment dyed, we can expect a bit of crocking, so maybe not a great of idea to wear with whites until washed. @MIKE_JE, any insight/help regarding the dyeing process would be helpful.
The other issue I have with the color a personal one; a lot of my wardrobe is saturated black. Sometimes the juxtaposition of vintage black against true black can be stark (added picture for example, this is with daze coast, which is a slightly washed out black)
2E1CCBDF-71D2-4098-9F0E-EA1F9803CCFE.png

The plus side is, this piece will work well with all the washed out colors this season; so if you’ve purchased a lot this season from JE or have a lot of washed out earth tones/vintage items you should be good.

FIT:
BF60CFF7-E0A9-413F-A289-598EB7DE2167.png

The fit is hands down the best I’ve seen JE produce. I went with a medium in both the top and the bottoms. I’m 5’10” 160lbs, mostly all legs, usually a 29/30 in denim, small in everything else. I usually go with a medium in all terry bottoms, I’m not a big fan of tight sweatpants. My wife is also know for drying my terry ?. Thank god this stuff is garment dyed (minimal shrinkage)

8BE61005-1E6D-4B63-A883-0CECDFE7D3B9.png

I couldn’t be happier with the fit. I think it’s perfectly oversized. Not too big and not too skinny. Perfectly “slim” pants and a OS cropped hoodie ?. I have overly long legs and the pants hit right at my ankles. The hoodie fits a little under my belt line (yes it’s cropped). I am not sure I could pull off a small, it likely would have been way too cropped on me. The sleeves are long, but due to the structure they more so stack rather than bunching at the cuff. the hood is small as is the neck hole. I’d be lying if I didn’t say that it wasn’t a tad hard to get on and off, but it wasn’t impossible by any means. Short end of the story. I’d say, If in doubt about the sizing of the hoodie, I’d say size up; a little extra room and length never hurt anyone.

CONSTRUCTION:
All the construction is beautiful. I didn’t see any frays or crooked seams. Everything looked put together exceptionally well. One thing worth mentioning is that the hoodie is based off the OS cropped hoodie, therefore the construction is different than the replica crew.
C06FF49B-09E3-46F9-8D20-F51350624BCD.jpeg

The crew used top stitched seams on top of the shoulders and double top stitched seams at the joint; the replica hoodie on the other hand uses simple seams.
8BBF93FF-6336-4B1A-8E27-2E6034A54B42.jpeg
F24FB081-354C-4BA6-AA4F-16D9366FC606.jpeg
The only place where this varies is on the back of the hood, where it looks like the hood is secured using flat felled seam. On the interior side the serged hem is covered using taping, which is a nice touch (I’m guessing to prevent irritation along your neck?).

SIZING:
Go true to size in the sweatpants, and either true to size on the hoodie or size up one depending on how you want it to fit (if in doubt, size up)

CONCLUSION:
These replica products are very, very nice. They are constructed beautifully, the fit is on point, and the materials are grandiose. It’s everything you’d expect for what it costs, this isn’t something you’re going to get in hand and question it’s value. You can feel it when you pick it up. I’m excited to see how this material ages with some wear and washes. I imagine it will soften up like my old replica crew, and if true this is going to be something that I’ll have for ages.
All said I do love this replica group, but I do hope for a few things.
1. I do hope we end up getting a crewneck. 2. I’d love to see this material used for mainline. I think we could forego the pigment dye/vintage treatment and stick with a regular dye or just garment dye process. I’d love to see a bit more saturation in the colors and a more palatable price point, but that’s just me being greedy and wanting more.

Anyway, I’ll try to capture some pics in the morning.

9D661802-E870-4EC2-9E3A-CA0200638EF7.jpeg

✌?

Last edited:

JR918

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do some sort of transitional outerwear with it.
1. Quarter zip or half zip
2. Overshirt/chore coat
3. Cardigan/noragi

The structure cardigan was kind of like a replica/folsom. It was heavy and distressed but I agree a true replica option would be nice. Both Quarter zip & Kake would be good silhouettes

norsefanboi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any silhouettes besides the crew you guys would like to see in Replica?
I'd be pretty keen for a zipped outer, a bomber style outer would be great in this heavyweight fabric. Zipped hoodie would be good too but bomber style would be a bit more unique

Bimmer93

Reaction score
Do some sort of transitional outerwear with it.
1. Quarter zip or half zip
2. Overshirt/chore coat
3. Cardigan/noragi
Strongly agree on a quarter zip. Very versatile and can transition to the office a bit more easily.

Would be nice with hidden side pockets similar to the Scout to keep a clean front.

razorfrazer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 for Escobars . Then just more colors . IDE be into nice grey replica hoodie .

drumsdrumsdrums

Reaction score
Awesome analysis and review. I too would love to know if the vintage black replica hoodie should be avoided for any kind of spot cleaning and if it’s a delicate dye that would fade/smudge before I inevitably spill coffee on it

blacknotebooks

Reaction score
I might be the only one with this issue but the cuffs on my replica hoodie are kinda loose so with my shorter arms the sleeves go down to almost my knuckles. Super nice hoodie and the crop is perfect, just can’t rock with the sleeves for myself. Anyone looking for the vintage black in 2/M before I send it back?

The sweats are incredible, however. Cuff is noticeably looser but not to the point of slipping imo. Length is a bit longer than OG but nbd. Don’t mind the tonal drawstrings but still prefer the OG ones.

isculpt

Reaction score
I might be the only one with this issue but the cuffs on my replica hoodie are kinda loose so with my shorter arms the sleeves go down to almost my knuckles. Super nice hoodie and the crop is perfect, just can’t rock with the sleeves for myself. Anyone looking for the vintage black in 2/M before I send it back?

The sweats are incredible, however. Cuff is noticeably looser but not to the point of slipping imo. Length is a bit longer than OG but nbd. Don’t mind the tonal drawstrings but still prefer the OG ones.
Damn that's a shame. Maybe get the sleeves shortened? Prolly won't cost alot and almost any tailor can do it from the wrist.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads