• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

nsubrmnn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yea would be good to know, and suggestions on similar siloutte alternative would be appreciated also!
If you really like the silhouette, then you should buy the shoes. I don’t think you’ll be happy with an alternative, just go in knowing the quality isn’t great.
@barrettdudley bought and sold a pair. You can ask him his thoughts as well. He said they looked like golf shoes and now that’s all I see when I look at them.

puttysan

Reaction score
does anyone know what was RTP for cast 2 ash on johnelliott.com?
thanks

j023

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not to derail this thread any further, but New Balance is going to release a ton of CWs of the 550 so if you're gung-ho on paying resale for a pair of the ALDs, just hang tight.

These will probably have even worse leather?

j023

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not possible. The leather on the ALD 550s was as bad as it gets. Think the worst quality leather AF1s you've ever handled, but worse.

People were hyping and going hard for those lol

barrettdudley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
any suggestions on similar silouttes?

New Balance CT1500, the Louis Vuitton ones, or the Off-White OOO which also have some Dunk DNA and actually look pretty great to me.

If you really like the silhouette, then you should buy the shoes. I don’t think you’ll be happy with an alternative, just go in knowing the quality isn’t great.
@barrettdudley bought and sold a pair. You can ask him his thoughts as well. He said they looked like golf shoes and now that’s all I see when I look at them.

Full disclosure, I almost never like all white or mostly white shoes, they just never look right to me. With these, quality issues aside, the silhouette looks great from the side profile, but looking down on them, they are ghastly. It's a combination of an orthopedic shoe and a 1990s golf spike. It's weird. If you're just trying to get your achive boy IG moodboard on, I'm sure they'll work out for you, but every single time I tried working them in to a fit, I took them off and put on something different. YMMV.

Not to derail this thread any further, but New Balance is going to release a ton of CWs of the 550 so if you're gung-ho on paying resale for a pair of the ALDs, just hang tight.

And yeah, the oshfits crowd will move right along as soon as all of the GRs drop, I'm sure.

nick227

Reaction score
Only photo I have of mine with JE, but here’s them with Sahara Cast 2. I wouldn’t pay $300 for them, but for retail I like them.

Attachments

• 2816A955-DDC5-48A4-94AD-6201F5062394.jpeg
    2816A955-DDC5-48A4-94AD-6201F5062394.jpeg
    477.1 KB · Views: 83

j023

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't get the hate on the ALD 550s lol, it's a $130 retail shoe - quality seems completely fine to me. I got 2x Red, 2x Navy and 1x Grey on release and don't have any complaints.

No wonder you are defending them. You have 5 pairs lol.

nick227

Reaction score
No wonder you are defending them. You have 5 pairs lol.

Oh - I should clarify though, only one was for me lol. I kept one red pair for myself, the other red and 2x navy went to friends, and the last grey I flipped.

j023

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh - I should clarify though, only one was for me lol. I kept one red pair for myself, the other red and 2x navy went to friends, and the last grey I flipped.

The grey is the best one though.

barrettdudley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Only photo I have of mine with JE, but here’s them with Sahara Cast 2. I wouldn’t pay $300 for them, but for retail I like them.

If I could do it all over again, I'd go for the red. The additional trim colors really help.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads