• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

thuper_therious

Reaction score
The issue for me is with cost, not quality. I don't think anyone can argue that labor is cheaper in China, not to mention work conditions in some places there are terrible. I can justify spending more for something made in US as wages are higher, we want the worker making it to be paid a livable wage.

A high retail price for a made in China item, is seen as padding the pocket book of the brand. Have you seen/heard how much Nike's cost to make versus how much they retail for? The flyknits were known to cost like $5 to make and sell for $150+.

I don't feel MIC products are inferior to those made in America, it comes down to quality control. Either way I'm not paying $800 for a fleece.
Yea agreed. They have literal concentration camps and I try my hardest to avoid products made there.

My boots, guitars, most clothing are all US made. It cost more and takes extra effort but I try to buy ethically.

Even worse is Bangladesh with the pollution, buildings collapsing and horrible factory fires with zero regard for safety.

Last edited:

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No ****, regarding Nike ?. Who doesn’t know that!? I prefer Made in USA and Made in Japan as well, but to criticize a company, based on their cost to make and cost they sale for is quite ridiculous. If quality was the issue, I would understand, ie YKK vs RiRi.

You asked so I answered. If I found a similarly priced fleece Made in Japan where worker conditions have known to be better historically I would be more willing to buy that instead at that price point. There is a reason why several companies market their clothes as being made ethically.

And how would I know of the quality of the JE fleece, it just came out today genius. If you searched back in this thread for the quality of the products and materials you will see that the reversible Bolivia had issues where it would rip at the seams and people complained about the leather jackets downgrading their hardware (zippers) from previous seasons.

j023

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You asked so I answered. If I found a similarly priced fleece Made in Japan where worker conditions have known to be better historically I would be more willing to buy that instead at that price point. There is a reason why several companies market their clothes as being made ethically.

And how would I know of the quality of the JE fleece, it just came out today genius. If you searched back in this thread for the quality of the products and materials you will see that the reversible Bolivia had issues where it would rip at the seams and people complained about the leather jackets downgrading their hardware (zippers) from previous seasons.

I think we have a miscommunication here. My question was broad across all recent drops. And my follow up was pertaining to only one of your points on cost of manufacturing vs cost for consumer. Seems you are now dialing down into ONLY the Polar Fleece.

Jde754

Reaction score
No ****, regarding Nike ?. Who doesn’t know that!? I prefer Made in USA and Made in Japan as well, but to criticize a company, based on their cost to make and cost they sale for is quite ridiculous. If quality was the issue, I would understand, ie YKK vs RiRi.

Yeah these prices feel like grailed. They start out super high and then gradually decrease. Should we start emailing in with offers? Sheesh

thuper_therious

Reaction score
I think we have a miscommunication here. My question was broad across all recent drops. And my follow up was pertaining to only one of your points on cost of manufacturing vs cost for consumer. Seems you are now dialing down into ONLY the Polar Fleece.
I’m a little butt hurt still about my girls bomber. It said made in LA with RiRi zippers etc. when it arrived it said made in China and had YKK zippers. Even if it was an accident by JE staff it still felt deceptive because it was almost $500.

Last edited:

j023

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m a little butt hurt still about my girls bomber. It said made in LA with RiRi zippers etc. when it arrived it said made in China and he YKK zippers. Even if it was an accident by JE staff it still get deceptive because it was almost $500.

Na, that was pretty bad. No excuse for that.

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How was I only dialing in on the polar fleece when I gave examples of the reversible Bolivia fleece jacket having tearing issues and the zippers used on the leather jackets going from Riri to YKK. Thuper Therious gave another example of the jacket he bought his girl.

I was specifically pointing out that the made in MIC items weren't same quality as the other stuff, I'm not blaming the Chinese factories or workers though. It has to do with quality control for the tearing and downgrading the zippers was JE's decision, the factory had nothing to do with it.

When using Nike as an example I wasn't saying that JE marks stuff up to the same level as Nike, I was pointing out that labor in some places of the world are very cheap. If it costs Nike $5 to make a shoe including the cost of labor imagine how much that worker is getting paid, I'm sure it is less than $1/hour

For this reason I'm more comfortable paying $800 or however much something costs if it was made in America by someone making $25+/hour over paying the same amount for something made in a country known for having sweatshops with horrible working and living conditions. The item quality may be the same in terms of material, stitching, etc but that doesn't matter to me. The made in America item would also likely cost more.

A better example as I stated previously is if I can find a MIJ fleece of the same quality and price as the MIC JE fleece I would much rather buy that one because the worker conditions are much better. Kapital makes some dope fleeces for like half the price.

Last edited:

Moonrocks

Reaction score
The issue I have with JE fleece is that the interior isn’t fleece. I know some people like this, but for me it defeats the purpose of a fleece. Personal preference. I love JE fleece patterns though.

Anyway, not to be a hater, but this fleece will go on significant discount, like all the other fleeces.

It sold out :brick:

thanks for that advice...

thuper_therious

Reaction score
My girl sent me this teasing my JE shirts.
DC902C6B-D1C6-4736-9387-AA3CAB2D7732.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads