• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yoshi

Reaction score
Grabbed the pink thumper, tan cast 1, and the roku yuji rider. I don't need any of this, especially the rider, but why not.

Last edited:

JR918

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Yuji rider at that price is a steal. I ended up grabbing the Hemi and Os hoodies yesterday. The only other thing I wanted was the black og dual flash but no sizes.

stevededrip

Reaction score
Are there any size charts available for the blackmeans blue-ivory rider jacket? I wanted to get one for the fiance and I'm trying to find the charts for an XS/0 but to no avail. Wasn't sure if there were separate women's/ men's sizing.

Yoshi

Reaction score
Not sure if you're aware, but the pink jacket being sold at the sample sale is not the recent pink thumper that dropped - it is the Bryce natural dye terrain jacket

Hm, now I'm confused on what I'll actually get. No biggie either way. The Eclipse page matches the product images of the new thumper (and color name), but says Type II vs Type III. Why do you think it's the Terrain?

1596315961221.png

1596315996123.png

Deceive

Reaction score
Hm, now I'm confused on what I'll actually get. No biggie either way. The Eclipse page matches the product images of the new thumper (and color name), but says Type II vs Type III. Why do you think it's the Terrain?

I redacted my previous statement because I noticed the pink thumper listed under type II (even though it is type III)

DarkDroid

Reaction score

nsubrmnn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lot of retailers really don't know their denim jacket types.
This is not “a lot of retailers” don’t know their denim jackets, this is a lot of people in general don’t know the different types. A lot of you guys on here don’t know the differences.

It’s a type 2 jacket. The current denim jacket that JE sells is a type 2 jacket. The cord thumper is a type 3 trucker.

The OG thumper was a modified type 2 jacket with one chest pocket and hand warmer/pockets. (The one chest pocket is actually very similar to a type 1, I guess you could say it is a type 1 jacket in the front and a type 2/type 3 in the back, but now we are getting very technical and confusing)
View attachment 961723

The previous iteration of the thumper was similar to the OG thumper, without the knife pleats. View attachment 961726

JE has never made a type 1 jacket. It’s very rare to see a type 1 jacket made by any brand, I don’t think people really care for the cinched back, they’d rather have waist straps (the flap with the button) to adjust the waist. Levi’s still makes one though.
https://www.levi.com/US/en_US/clothing/men/outerwear/1936-type-1-jacket/p/705060023

If you want to learn more about denim jackets, this is a good break down.

https://www.heddels.com/2013/03/levis-denim-trucker-jacket-review-type-i-ii-and-iii/
I think I have talked about this before, but I think it’s important to have a good understanding of the various Levi’s denim jackets before delving into this. Here’s a good link. https://www.heddels.com/2013/03/levis-denim-trucker-jacket-review-type-i-ii-and-iii/

The first denim jacket I can remember was the mica thumper from the shadow capsule. It had the knife pleats and the one chest pocket of a type 1 but the waist adjusters of a type 2 (so all in all a hybrid type 1/2). Unlike a traditional type 1 or type 2 this jacket had side pockets
View attachment 1150045

In season 7.5 a newer thumper was released in a washed (living?) black color-way. It was similar to the previous iteration but without the knife pleats. There were numerous iterations/fabrications that followed (mr p grey, jacquard, etc etc).
View attachment 1150046 View attachment 1150047

In season 10 (Fw 17) I believe JE put our the first iteration a cropped thumper (now referred to as the type 2 thumper). It was more of a traditional type 2 jacket, some may say a repro (no side pockets, cropped AF). There have been a few fabrications since then.
View attachment 1150056 View attachment 1150050

The “most recent” thumper has been the type 3, which had its first iteration in ss18 as the corduroy type 3 jackets and eventually became denim in FW18. This is pretty close to a traditional or repro type 3 without pockets and without added length.
View attachment 1150059 View attachment 1150049

I think that gets us up to speed. I did this off the top of my head so I may have forgotten somethings.

TL;DR: blah blah blah, denim jackets.
The cinch is a nod to a type 1 jacket. This jacket is really more of a type 1 than a type 2. More on that. anyway, yeah that’s sad if the quality is lacking. It looks to be a spring/summer jacket, so maybe that’s why it’s thin? How does it compare to the other JE denim jackets? If it’s the same, maybe the quality of JE jackets isn’t for you ??‍♂️

these are just a few of the posts I’ve (personally) posted about the various differences between the types.

askim35

Reaction score
how does the thumper 3 fit? would i be ok going up a size from my normal large in hoodies? it looks cropped so wanted to know

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know people hated it here but got sized up black vintage fleece sweatpants for $82 shipped. Needed relaxed sweats and I can always just wear at home if I don't like it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads