• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

spikefugazi

Reaction score
Yea Need was hit hard on IG comments. I didn't think their post was bad either. I agree on working retail, they don't treat employees well in general and you get commission in selling stuff so it incentivizes you to be helpful with customers. While some managers might be racist IME employees were treated equally badly irregardless of skin color.

I don't know their finances but I don't think Need was killing it financially even before the pandemic. To expect a company to donate to the cause isn't right, it's not like they're making tens or hundreds of millions of dollars in profit like big stores/brands. To me it's a case of people bitching and whining on social media.
Many have an exaggerated sense of how much businesses actually make. That a company sells a lot of luxury goods doesn't mean that it's making much profit. When you work retail for a struggling store or company, sometimes how many sales you make determines whether you keep your job.

I feel uncomfortable being followed around stores because I don't know if they're following to genuinely help or if they're checking if I'm about to steal. Much of my social anxiety plays into that. It gets me paranoid, but when I step out of the store, I think realistically and remember that these are underpaid employees being forced to make a sale to keep their jobs. Whether or not the company gets stolen from doesn't really concern them because they personally don't lose any money from that.

Because I have social anxiety, I'd rather shop online. Hell, I'd be hesitant to even step inside the JE store because it's essentially a luxury brand and I'm not confident or good-looking enough to be there. Truth is the employees probably don't care all that much.

In cases where employees cater to only white, dressed-up individuals while ignoring all others, THAT is racism and elitism. They're basically assuming only white, dressed-up people can afford to purchase from their store, so they spend more time on them, hoping to make a sale.

DxVxNE

Reaction score
In cases where employees cater to only white, dressed-up individuals while ignoring all others, THAT is racism and elitism. They're basically assuming only white, dressed-up people can afford to purchase from their store, so they spend more time on them, hoping to make a sale.
...and if you spend "too much time" following non-whites around then you're racist because you're expecting them to steal, so either way really you're racist!

spikefugazi

Reaction score
for real. Systematic racism, inequality and injustice is embedded in the very core of this nation’s history and present. It’s despicable and it needs to end. But some piece of human trash cops murder a man in cold blood and people are mad a clothing store isn’t doing enough? Maybe it’s an educational deficiency on my part (please correct me if so), but what could anyone have reasonably expected from them, honestly? I mean hell, as much as I love JE, a part of me can’t help but feel like this whole 25% off and 10% to UCLA is (in part) a way to increase sells and avoid offering returns to stay afloat during this pandemic. No shade intended, just my subjective speculation. Hopefully anyone who’s outraged (and you should be) spends that energy going to the voting booth, volunteering with campaigns, protesting, making calls, donating your own money, etc.
Then, there's also that 15% pledge to make sure 15% of all products on shelves are from black-owned companies. I absolutely understand the initiative and I respect it, but some people see that and say "Why not more?" or "Why weren't you doing this already?" If you don't announce you're doing it, you get called out for it. If you DO announce it, they still find something to say.

At the end of the day, it's not that hard. If you've always been treating others as you'd like to be treated, you have nothing to worry about. It doesn't matter what race you are. You respect me and I'll respect you. It's a social contract. This social media trend of publicly announcing what you're doing and having people assume what you are/aren't doing has gotten toxic.

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's hard to "win" on social media. Some people will always find a way to criticize you whether you post on the matter (case in point Need Supply) or not. (other companies criticized for not using their voice for the cause) That's why I don't have any personal social media accounts but I understand why stores/brands do as it is a great marketing tool.

I do agree that racism, inequality, and injustice are part of the nation but I also feel there is more to it than police brutality. Yes it needs to be addressed but so do issues in the community. That's why I'm a fan of the Big Brother program. A close friend of mine was a Big Brother to a kid coming from a single parent home. He would sit with him and help him with his homework. His mom was too busy working to be able to do this. Long story short, he got the kid into college (he was the first in his family!) and now the guy is doing well. They still chat a couple times a year though it's harder now as my friend has a family. I encourage anyone who has time/knowledge to do the same. I don't because of lack of time with a baby and I think it'd be weird for a late 30s guy to be a Big Brother. :p

Thatguyjlar

Reaction score
Then, there's also that 15% pledge to make sure 15% of all products on shelves are from black-owned companies. I absolutely understand the initiative and I respect it, but some people see that and say "Why not more?" or "Why weren't you doing this already?" If you don't announce you're doing it, you get called out for it. If you DO announce it, they still find something to say.

At the end of the day, it's not that hard. If you've always been treating others as you'd like to be treated, you have nothing to worry about. It doesn't matter what race you are. You respect me and I'll respect you. It's a social contract. This social media trend of publicly announcing what you're doing and having people assume what you are/aren't doing has gotten toxic.
100. It seems most all this corporate altruism is a CYA measure with capitalistic intentions. Genuine change comes from authentic, individual concern and compassion for all those who need it.

lzd325

Reaction score
Got some items from Mr. Porter in. Both seem to be keepers. Let me know what y’all think tho
80508A6C-9893-41CD-9CAE-490FC8A585CE.jpeg
71A7926A-4056-4F8A-9427-97FB1008BC93.jpeg

norsefanboi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve been wearing those about two weeks now. Starting to fade nicely already. Stretching out like crazy.
stretching around waist? or legs? or everywhere? lol
I sized up because the official page recommended it but waist is quite loose (leg is tighter than what I want though), I'd hate that to stretch even further

Thatguyjlar

Reaction score
stretching around waist? or legs? or everywhere? lol
I sized up because the official page recommended it but waist is quite loose (leg is tighter than what I want though), I'd hate that to stretch even further
I went with 29, which I wear in everything, skin tight at first. Now the waist has stretched 2-3 inches and the rest is bagging out pretty much universally. They haven’t stretched out as badly as obsidians did, I had to just cut my losses and sell those because they kept falling down. Depending on how you like yours to fit, you may be good. I like mine to be pretty tight, like they used to model them a couple years back before they started sizing everything up in ecomm shots.

norsefanboi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went with 29, which I wear in everything, skin tight at first. Now the waist has stretched 2-3 inches and the rest is bagging out pretty much universally. They haven’t stretched out as badly as obsidians did, I had to just cut my losses and sell those because they kept falling down. Depending on how you like yours to fit, you may be good. I like mine to be pretty tight, like they used to model them a couple years back before they started sizing everything up in ecomm shots.
gotcha. might have to brace myself for some belt wearing then..

97laxlude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never really understood this, what do you all have against wearing a belt?
90% of my bottoms fit without the need for a belt but I still wear a belt anyways just so that they don’t slide down when I bend down, get in and out of a booth, sit up on a bar stool, etc.
I find when pants stretch in the waist is when I don’t wear a belt and they slide down just enough so when you sit it stretches because now you’re on the waistband more.
A belt legit adds little to no extra weight or bulk, you can’t see it 99% of the time, and it’s not uncomfortable.

Kger91

Reaction score
Just got the raws off the clothesline, so it’s time for an update. 15-16ish months and I don’t even remember how many washes anymore. Crotch hole forming; this is the longest I’ve had a pair of raws without a blowout. Right pocket just about completely separated and unusable. Left pocket has a hole inside and untrustworthy. These jeans are dope, but quickly becoming unwearable. Deciding whether to repair or just let them get more busted. 10/10 would cop again.
Do you own the Canyons or Spruce? Been wearing mine but would love to see other people's pairs and see if any fades have developed yet. Mine still look new.

norsefanboi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never really understood this, what do you all have against wearing a belt?
90% of my bottoms fit without the need for a belt but I still wear a belt anyways just so that they don’t slide down when I bend down, get in and out of a booth, sit up on a bar stool, etc.
I find when pants stretch in the waist is when I don’t wear a belt and they slide down just enough so when you sit it stretches because now you’re on the waistband more.
A belt legit adds little to no extra weight or bulk, you can’t see it 99% of the time, and it’s not uncomfortable.
for me it's two fold.
1. I hate the buckle touching my skin when I sit, bend down etc
2. I don't like the waist line of the pants bunching up at parts which is inevitable if you're putting a belt on because the waist is too big

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads