• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

itzkoolkidkam

Reaction score
Curious, have you just been crushing StockX lately for all the Dunks or did you have a previous collection of them? You size same as AJ1s?

I was into them back in the early 00’s. I ended up selling all my pairs and getting into designer footwear lol. Here I am buying all the pairs I wanted and owned previously.

SB tend to run a bit smaller due to extra padding, so I go up a half size. For non SB, go with your AJ1 size.

barrettdudley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Disagree on Obsidians being great if you want a jet black pair. Obsidians fade sooooo fast and within 10 wears you’ll start seeing the white weft come out. If he’s looking for black enough denim that STAYS black, go with Carbons.

I'm pretty sure if you cold soak before wearing, you can set the color and avoid the white weft breaking through. Maybe @hermesonly can provide us an update on that front.

Mackp12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure if you cold soak before wearing, you can set the color and avoid the white weft breaking through. Maybe @hermesonly can provide us an update on that front.
I did that with my obsidians and it worked. Cold water soak with woolite dark and hang dry before wearing. It set the colour and i didn’t notice any fading after multiple wears. Ended up getting rid of them so can’t comment on how the colour holds up after 10+ wears after this method

hermesonly

Reaction score
I’ve kept my Obsidians as dark as I can. Soaked in Vinegar before use.. Wash and Hang Dry only.. never dryer. It pretty much stayed on its original color since purchase.. here’s the pic I just took. natural light, non-photoshop.

E6456AEF-2E99-41F1-98F2-22381A1D0496.jpeg

MIKE_JE

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Obsidian is designed with a white core so that it fades to a wash like Onyx. If you cold soak it early in your wear, you will lower the chance of high contrast fades (just like any denim), but it is still going to fade at stress points - just not as well. Personally I wouldn't recommend pre-washing raw denim, unless it's unsanforized, which is not the case with ours. If you don't want black denim that fades, Carbon is a better choice.

Titothejawnman

Reaction score
Obsidian is designed with a white core so that it fades to a wash like Onyx. If you cold soak it early in your wear, you will lower the chance of high contrast fades (just like any denim), but it is still going to fade at stress points - just not as well. Personally I wouldn't recommend pre-washing raw denim, unless it's unsanforized, which is not the case with ours. If you don't want black denim that fades, Carbon is a better choice.

What about offering a jet black denim that’s made from the carbon material but stays black?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads