• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

iamfudge

Reaction score
Don't have the original hem re-attached though, it's a bad idea: https://williamsburggarment.com/blog/avoid-original-hem-alterations/

And I think you've said you live in UK, so Williamsburg Garment or Railcar might not work for you, but when I want to hem jeans with a chain stitch, I send them off to a place that specializes in chain stitching to do the alteration. Looks like Denim Doctor or Son of a Stag are London based spots that offer the service.

interesting take on the original hem, although the article comes off pretty elitist especially with the 2nd paragraph starting with "it's cheesy, hacky, corny, wack" without providing any real reasons why. At the very end, he finally states it loses flexibility and creates a stiff, uncomfortable line. Also, depending on the stitching technique it can be messy so you wouldn't want to cuff them. IMO these are exaggerated reasons. All my JE jeans have an original hem except raw and jets since there isn't a need for them. After they're hemmed, I have them pressed so that it minimizes any bulk. I also do cuff my jeans and have probably posted photos of them here and I don't think anyone has said anything, meaning, I don't think anyone cares/noticed.

I like the original distressing on the jeans which is why I keep them and while it's true, "patience pays off", I don't think it's clear on how many times "washing regularly" will achieve this. I only wash my jeans when they get dirty and I have a good rotation going so a pair may take months for it to hit the washer so it would take me a very long time to get the same distressing on the hem.

/2¢

Last edited:

barrettdudley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You trippin wit that one lol

Haha, that ivory colored double breasted jacket with all black underneath. Looks like a chef's coat or something to me, I can't get past it.

interesting take on the original hem, although the article comes off pretty bias especially with the 2nd paragraph starting with "it's cheesy, hacky, corny, wack" without providing any real reasons why. At the very end, he finally states it loses flexibility and creates a stiff, uncomfortable line. Also, depending on the stitching technique it can be messy so you wouldn't want to cuff them. IMO these are exaggerated reasons. All my JE jeans have an original hem except raw and jets since there isn't a need for them. After they're hemmed, I have them pressed so that it minimizes any bulk. I also do cuff my jeans and have probably posted photos of them here and I don't think anyone has said anything, meaning, I don't think anyone cares/noticed.

I like the original distressing on the jeans which is why I keep them and while it's true, "patience pays off", I don't think it's clear on how many times "washing regularly" will achieve this. I only wash my jeans when they get dirty and I have a good rotation going so a pair may take months for it to hit the washer so it would take me a very long time to get the same distressing on the hem.

/2¢

I know a lot of people do it and are okay with the results, but every time I tried it, I never thought the hem sat right. It was always like a little too big for the new leg opening or something and created this minor flare that looked awful. I hear you on wanting to keep the distressing, which is why I generally won't hem distressed denim in the first place. Even with attaching the original hem, you still lose a lot of the natural looking fades going on from the shin down to the cuff.

gentlypfister

Reaction score
can We get some more discussion on this lookbook?

I actually like some of the stuff. Looks like suede incorporation could be cool and there are some party shorts in there. Always a fan of party shorts! I'm 38, but I live in Venice, and work in a creative field so i get away with more casual than most. Or at least I hope I do. Those shorts with the floral pattern in the same color are fire too.

I know some of you like it, but the backgrounds of the lookbook really threw me off. I think that's why a lot had adverse reactions to this one...but I respect JE for trying new stuff creatively. Not my taste on the layout, but that's style/design/art amiright?

I'm not sure what I wanted/expected out of JE moving forward. On one hand it feels like he's doing the same thing he's always done by exploring some theme that means something to him and exploring dye and wash techniques, etc. On the other hand it also feels like he's moving more and more in a direction opposite of what my wardrobe needs or what my taste are. This FW season he seems to have embraced his slouchy casual side way more, so we're getting basically all sweatpant styles, a lot of hoodies, and just a bunch of other stuff I feel like it would be hard to be somewhat serious in. In year's past JE focused on having pieces I felt were more versatile and I liked that. Also, the styling this time around not really inspiring any moves forward in how I personally wanna dress. I could go on and on, but I'm still interested to see what stuff is there once you start breaking down into all the pieces.

Only 3 pieces I'm into right now; the shorts, and then the hoody zip cardi combo.

View attachment 1323334 View attachment 1323335

Yup - LOVE these shorts.

Also - Tricky mention Standard Issue yesterday and I was bummed they were sold out...then this popped up in my inbox this AM. Looks like the same exact sweats. I bought a M and a L (free returns) and I have the Oak JE LA Sweats coming...I'll post pics comparing them. If the Standard Issues work the same, I'll save the $150 :)

tricky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FOG is just another more expensive version of I'm going somewhere like a basketball game, the movies, or out in the day wit friends. ALD though, at that lower price point nails it for me cause they do sweats and casual stuff but then give you stuff that if you switch out sneakers for a clean boot or something you can now go to dinner and not look to uptight and stuffy.

I agree. I used to be really into Engineered Garments and still usually pull out my EG pieces for that. Will likely continue to expand my ALD stuff though. Some of their stuff is awesome. Also been eyeing 18East but last thing I need is another rabbit hole to go down!

MMcFly

Reaction score
I actually like some of the stuff. Looks like suede incorporation could be cool and there are some party shorts in there. Always a fan of party shorts! I'm 38, but I live in Venice, and work in a creative field so i get away with more casual than most. Or at least I hope I do. Those shorts with the floral pattern in the same color are fire too.

I know some of you like it, but the backgrounds of the lookbook really threw me off. I think that's why a lot had adverse reactions to this one...but I respect JE for trying new stuff creatively. Not my taste on the layout, but that's style/design/art amiright?

Yup - LOVE these shorts.

Also - Tricky mention Standard Issue yesterday and I was bummed they were sold out...then this popped up in my inbox this AM. Looks like the same exact sweats. I bought a M and a L (free returns) and I have the Oak JE LA Sweats coming...I'll post pics comparing them. If the Standard Issues work the same, I'll save the $150 :)

Heads up there’s 15% off with code blacklisted.

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pic of hoodie? How’d you discover the brand?

A bit late on the reply, but here's a crappy selfie of the Lady White Co Super Weighted Hoodie in the faded black colorway I picked up during Black Friday Sales. I highly recommend it after several wears now. I took my standard size medium and it has a boxy and short fit, not FOG like, but similar to how it fits the model here: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0063/8094/5490/files/AW19-6.jpg?703

It has a hefty 18 oz. weight french terry so it wears substantial. Fear of God Sixth Collection Hoodie is 28 oz. I believe the JE Replica Hoodie and pants were 26 oz., similar to the new LA sweats for a point of reference. I heard about them through affiliate Canoe Club as they offered it and came across it browsing their site. Several retailers carry the brand too.

Attachments

• Lady_White_Co.jpg
    Lady_White_Co.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 90

shaidripp

Reaction score

Yup - LOVE these shorts.

$5 for the pre-paid label, but the 365 day return policy is nice

Attachments

• 1579890422194.png
    1579890422194.png
    50.8 KB · Views: 80

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$5 for the pre-paid label, but the 365 day return policy is nice

I appreciate this post.....I have been eyeing up SI for a while, but kept missing on my size, particularly the sweats and hoodies in the pigment dye versions. I picked up the sweats in S and M (I'm a medium in most JE sweats including the LA Sweats) so I can compare and also picked up the M hoodie to compare as well. If these are as good as the endorsements I have heard on the forum, then I may have found a quality and least costly alternative.

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went 1 size smaller than JE. I wear 32 Cast 2, large Rio and Esco but went with medium in Standard Issue.

@tricky Do the sweats have back pockets? Haven't found any photos of the back, but it doesn't look like they do...

iamfudge

Reaction score
Haha, that ivory colored double breasted jacket with all black underneath. Looks like a chef's coat or something to me, I can't get past it.

I know a lot of people do it and are okay with the results, but every time I tried it, I never thought the hem sat right. It was always like a little too big for the new leg opening or something and created this minor flare that looked awful. I hear you on wanting to keep the distressing, which is why I generally won't hem distressed denim in the first place. Even with attaching the original hem, you still lose a lot of the natural looking fades going on from the shin down to the cuff.

that's fair, not all original hems are equal and will vary depending on the tailor. Fortunately, I have not had any of those issues and at the end of the day, I can always choose to remove it vs. the other way around.

Last edited:

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is the weight of the French Terry JE uses for most hoodies? As much as I want to try out the LA sweats or SI stuff, 24 to 26 ounces seems too warm to wear for most of the year in California.

chris_rosario

Reaction score
Damn, dope fit bro, the Sacais is the icing on the cake.
Thanks man! To weight in on the lookbook I'm kind of indifferent to it. I didn't hate it but I didn't love it either. I thought these two jackets were cool but I already have so much JE from previous seasons that for the past few years I find it hard to buy much.
Screen Shot 2020-01-24 at 3.22.43 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-01-24 at 3.25.08 PM.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads