• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

c0ldfusion

Reaction score
With what some people pay for clothes I'm genuinely surprised some wouldn't be willing to pay over retail to complete the look.

What you're saying certainly makes sense at a micro, logical level.

It's a matter of principle though, for some. The phrase moral hazard comes to mind and wanting to discourage these so-called basement scalpers.

Kger91

Reaction score
I was lucky enough to get the AJ1 Shadows and Rookie of the Years when they were going for like $10-20 above retail - looking at the current prices is just painful. I also have the Spiderverses and Court Purples, the latter being my most worn pair since they go great with blue or black jeans. I should also have the AMMs soon, although the store is taking their sweet time shipping them out...

Funny enough, I initially got into (non-GAT/CP) sneakers because of the JE Vandals
The JE Vandals are amazing. The material quality is A1 and they are some of the more slept on shoes

thereaintnofutureinthis

Reaction score
Ruben Kone cardi
OS cropped hoodie
Uni
Sized up beater carbons (fresh from the dryer ??)
Chuck 70s

Attachments

• F9AEB990-7C41-4CDF-B4ED-B1A44527AF18.jpeg
    F9AEB990-7C41-4CDF-B4ED-B1A44527AF18.jpeg
    255.1 KB · Views: 68

a feline mage

Reaction score
Lol nothing is going to stop resellers. They will always have a market.

Depends on the context. Dudes holding onto their AJ1s for 5 years to resell? Yeah, those will probably always be around.

The "bot a W, list it next day on StockX" types? Their "career" could end literally today if Nike wanted. But of course they won't because artificial scarcity is core to their business model. Probably a better chance of the Detroit Lions making the playoffs this year (1 in 800 billion right now) than Nike ever doing that. ?

dag311

Reaction score
What you're saying certainly makes sense at a micro, logical level.

It's a matter of principle though, for some. The phrase moral hazard comes to mind and wanting to discourage these so-called basement scalpers.
I totally get that. I've only paid more than 50 over retail twice (AMM 3s and MSU Dunks). Everything else has been acquired for retail, free, or trades.

I am just more amazed people will pay 240 for a cotton t shirt with holes (I know it's about fit/work put into it/color/etc.) but not 300 for shoes that will last much longer.

CARTEL777

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Resellers aren’t going away anytime soon. They sell a lot more than just shoes. They’re flipping consoles, graphics cards, sports cards, shoes tickets, and so much more. You either pay the ticket or move on.

Last edited:

Bimmer93

Reaction score
I have no issues paying over retail if there’s something I really want. For those taking some principled stand on not lining reseller pockets, you’re playing yourself. I paid $1k over retail for off white Jordan 1s when they dropped. Sure, that person made a nice profit, but if I ever wanted to sell, I’d much rather have my $8k+ over retail they’re going for now.

nepats81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have no issues paying over retail if there’s something I really want. For those taking some principled stand on not lining reseller pockets, you’re playing yourself. I paid $1k over retail for off white Jordan 1s when they dropped. Sure, that person made a nice profit, but if I ever wanted to sell, I’d much rather have my $8k+ over retail they’re going for now.

Each is a case by case situation for sure.

im not paying resell for a pair of UNC 1s - I like them but don’t love them.

But if I’m forced to pay resell for a pair of cool grey 11s so be it. I get too much enjoyment dunking on fools at my local ymca to pass on those.

jclark216

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not trying to continue the resell topic but the off white 1s are The Phoenix. These shoes doesn’t come around often so it’s hard to justify your argument with this example. Even though I do agree with you, No one thought these shoe would do that. On top of that these joints shot up more since Virgil passing. Trust me if a reseller would forecast the price years down the line , you wouldn’t have paid 1k lol.

Last edited:

jclark216

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok Last thing. I think someone mentioned this before. BUY WHAT YOU LIKE. I don’t rock mids but If you chose to, go ahead. Trust me when I tell you, 1s use to SIT!!! People hated them. Now they are one of the most sought after silhouette.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads