• We would like to welcome Pete and Harry as an official Affiliate Vendor. Pete and Harry, co-founded by Erik (EFV) one of our long time members and friends, offers a wide variety of products, clothes, watches and accessories, antique, vintage, “pre-loved” and new - all at unparalleled prices. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

malcolmbw

Reaction score
So you guys think sale season hurts brands?
I feel like most of us or maybe just me and few other wait for sale season knowing it’s coming.
So we price point pieces at sale price rather then retail…
Just a random thought would love to know your guys opinions.
I don't know about hurts the brand, more just a different strategy. Raise prices, sell what you can at retail and then still make a healthy profit once it hits sale szn.

FWIW, I feel like my perspective on JE has switched - used to be a go-to brand for basics, but now other brands offer the same quality at a lower price point. Now I'm here for the unique items like the Leather Adapt Anorak and the Foggy line.

MichaelPatrick0

Reaction score
Ya idk it’s hard also dropping to much stuff kills it to, when u know ur only going to get a few new pieces the suspense and overall design is pure IMO

nsubrmnn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So you guys think sale season hurts brands?
I feel like most of us or maybe just me and few other wait for sale season knowing it’s coming.
So we price point pieces at sale price rather then retail…
Just a random thought would love to know your guys opinions.
Sale SZN is definitely bad for the brand. The goal is to make only enough and sell that stock at retail with very minimal hitting sales. Sales dilute a brand’s image and cachet. You don’t ever want to be known as a “discount brand” especially when you’re trying to portray a certain image and exclusivity

jclark216

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sale SZN is definitely bad for the brand. The goal is to make only enough and sell that stock at retail with very minimal hitting sales. Sales dilute a brand’s image and cachet. You don’t ever want to be known as a “discount brand” especially when you’re trying to portray a certain image and exclusivity
Shout out to J Crew 😂

MichaelPatrick0

Reaction score
I could not have said it better

frankwhite217

Reaction score
I think sometimes we as the consumer don’t ever think about the things that impact brand’s abilities to produce things. For instance, we are in a global health crisis. Supply chains are impacted for almost every facet of life. The cost to make things has increased and in order to meet margins, prices also need to increase. All in all the cost to make a sweatshirt is not the same in 2021 as it was in 2014 simply because the value of currency is also not the same.

The same goes for shoes, those of us who have been into kicks for awhile, Jordan 1s used to be $80 and sit on the shelves. Now you’re lucky to get a pair at retail for double that price and often times will settle paying resale around $3-400 depending on which pair.

All in all I personally don’t mind the price increases as much because at this point with my wardrobe I have enough basics, I’m more looking for (statement) pieces that pop.
Although you can never have enough hoodies/crews. Especially as it looks like remote working is here to stay for the foreseeable future.

jclark216

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thoughts on the black Chelsea boots for the people who owns it.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Sneakers with tailoring: yes, no, maybe?

• No, never.

• Yes, it can be done tastefully.

• Not sure.

Results are only viewable after voting.