• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TheOpOg

Reaction score
I thought it was going to be an easy to pick Bone over the Grey Overshirt. After seeing the fit pics though Grey looks solid too. Ended up going with the Bone though. The price I thought was a little high. I think $298 would have been a better sweet spot (more on that below). If it doesn't fit perfectly I will just return. I was afraid it was going to be too cropped but after looking at the measurements its actually an 1" to 3" longer, depending on size, than the Raglan Hoodie - which is a relief. Hopefully the measurements are correct. There is a fit pic that shows it being longer but it looks like the hoodie is bunched up. I am excited for this piece. Good job, John Elliott Team!

As I said, $298 would have been a great price for this. I bought it, despite the price, because it's a somewhat unique piece and I have been looking for something like it. But at $350 after tax, if it's not exactly what I want it will go back and I will wait for sale season. This price creep is starting to bother me especially because I don't think the quality is going up with the prices. Some of their prices are starting to slip from reasonable into ridiculous. Which I think starts to bring a different crowd and vibe to the brand. The type of people who tend to buy things for recognition over design. If JE can get away with it more power to them but I also wouldn't be surprised if it's a bad business decision. I obviously can't see their sales data but they are almost certainly selling less at these prices than they would have with lower prices. Which means more things are going to hit the sales rack and sell at smaller margins. Then you get into this cycle, which is already starting to happen on here, where no one wants to pay the high prices when know they can get most things for 20-50% off a few months later. Mostly, I just dig the John Elliott vibe right now and don't want these creeping prices to change the culture around it.

fdyla

Reaction score
Agree with everything being said. $298 would have been perfect, still copped at $328 -- but just barely. I too will send back if its not perfect fit + relatively thick material. If the overshirts do make it to sale, hopefully it's within 3 months so I can get the difference refunded (assuming I keep it)

hermesonly

Reaction score
Had to pass on the Jacquard, although I really wanted it.. what stop me is, its wool. I cant wear wool shirt with exception of a jacket that I can wear over my clothes.. I have a few wool shirts that is not being worn and collected dust in the past. Even with long sleeve layering I would rarely wear it.. so sadly, I had to pass. I wish it was in Cotton like the other overshirts in Plaid tho... money saved till the next big drop.

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
some credit cards provide price protection like Discover It, citi preferred and chase sapphire

it can be a huge pain but worth it if you can get some dough back

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@MuskieFan is that the triple black or shadow?

i have and love the jacquard black thumper, but want a dark actual denim jacket and cant handle the cropped look of the masa. leaning towards the shadow

marcus-chi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the bone one. I would cop cause I never had a piece like this before but I wanna see it in person first. If other retailers get it, and I get to try it on in store there's a bigger chance I'll cop if it works for me.

ASpec818

Reaction score

i have and love the jacquard black thumper, but want a dark actual denim jacket and cant handle the cropped look of the masa. leaning towards the shadow
i have the 3sixteen shadow type 3s and love it. It fits a bit boxy and is actually designed slightly longer than a traditional type 3 (this means it's considerably longer than the JE cropped thumper). The shadow looks pretty much black unless you look really close which you can then see the dark blue wefts. I love beating on this jacket to try and make this thing fade but it's taking some time.

Last edited:

Marco Storari

Reaction score
Just noticed the Presidios restocked in 34

I'm going on a Euro-trip leaving Thursday. I feel like it's too late and it won't go to NYC on time

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Will be curious if JE starts to track return rate like Yoox. Based on what I see here...

MuskieFan

Reaction score

This is the triple black. @nsubrmnn has both and may be willing to take a side by side photo of the two since there seems to be some interest. From his photos before, the shadow looked really dark but the electric blue fades would be a great contrast on the dark denim.
i have the 3sixteen shadow type 3s and love it. It fits a bit boxy and is actually designed slightly longer than a traditional type 3 (this means it's considerably longer than the JE cropped thumper). The shadow looks pretty much black unless you look really close which you can then see the dark blue wefts. I love beating on this jacket to try and make this thing fade but it's taking some time.
To address both your points, one of the main things I was looking for was a non-cropped jacket. All my height is in my legs so having a jacket that's a bit longer makes me look a bit more proportional (also don't have the money to justify the price of the JE, even though I'm sure the quality is great). Honestly that's why I love raw denim. I think it's awesome watching the personality unfold.

I will say the sizing in this jacket is off, I'm usually a Large in JE and had to get a XXL in this jacket lol

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads