1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

John Elliott - official affiliate thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by JOHN ELLIOTT, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Bimmer93

Bimmer93 Senior member

I understand your points, I just fail to see how collaborating with brands/retailers that are nowhere near the price point you have is going to bring in a significant number of new customers. New fans, yes. Customers, probably not.

I think alot of the overstock is due to how many products they are putting out and the brands they are competing against, particularly in other retailers. I think they have a great model with direct to consumer, but frankly, I'm not convinced they have the market to compete against other brands in this price point across 50+ items a season.

2 people like this.
  2. Bimmer93

Bimmer93 Senior member

Fair enough. A JE to Aeropostale comparison may not be fair. And JE has a hand in the design of GAP. But at the end of the day, perception becomes reality and whether it is truly better or not falls to the wayside when JE is in the GAP store right next to the Aeropostale store, and the difference is indistinguishable to the majority of shoppers in either one of those places.

3. nsubrmnn

nsubrmnn Senior member

Hate to say this, but i totally agree with you. maybe it should be just direct to consumer. that would also hypothetically decrease the cost of the product and JE would see more revenue.

3 people like this.
  4. bawlin

bawlin Senior member

Clothing should never go on sale? Try telling that to literally every brand in the world (save for perhaps Hermes and Louis Vuitton).

I swear you guys are on one today...

5 people like this.
  5. japejapejape

japejapejape Senior member

no one cares that much but you though...
    no one is up in arms about this as much as you.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
  6. Bimmer93

Bimmer93 Senior member

I'm not up in arms or anything - I find the business and branding component interesting and this is a healthy discussion of the brand outside of the usual sizing questions. I think it's even more interesting given how protective the brand was historically, and are seemingly pivoting away from that. Refreshing to hear other's thoughts on that as well.

1 person likes this.
  7. nsubrmnn

nsubrmnn Senior member

Do you think brands want their clothing to go on sale? No brands intention is for their items to go on sale. I'm not saying things shouldn't go on sale. But if they do that means something went wrong (style is not good, made too much, price is off or not comparable to similar products, etc)

1 person likes this.
  8. Crshngdwn

Crshngdwn Senior member

I'm really considering the Sashiko Classic Crew now, given the more reasonable price. I think it would make an awesome layering pirce in the fall under hoodies and jackets.

9. Mikeisonfire

Mikeisonfire Senior member

It's fair to believe that this JE collab will be of better quality than plain ol' GAP items, right? Having the JE name on it will certainly make it easier to differentiate the two and bring more attention to the designer. This collab is more for those average consumers than it is for people who are already buying JE products. Sure, it may not be bringing in hundreds of new long-term customers, but if it sparks interest and gets them to check out more from the JE brand, that's a win.
    We all got introduced to higher-end brands somehow, right?

10. gerg99

gerg99 Senior member

I agree, brands want to avoid going on sale as much as possible. I disagree though that sales mean something went terribly wrong. Like someone said previously, nearly every brand goes on sale at some point, because naturally there's going to be overstock. This is with the exception of luxury brands, who, don't be mistaken, DO have their own overstock. In fact many top luxury brands DESTROY their excess pieces in order to keep the brand value as high as possible.

It's tough, and nearly impossible to get those quantities spot on, so naturally there will be leftover seasonal things that just won't move unless they go on sale, and sometimes still don't move once they get outdated. Often times (I can attest to this working for a streetwear brand), break even points are hit long before stuff goes on sale because of the margins they make per piece sold at full price.

Of course when stuff sits at department stores and eventually goes on sale it definitely devalues the brand, but as that's wholesale, JE has no monetary risk once that product order is paid for and shipped out.

Figuring out how to get the stuff to really sell well in departments stores (like @Bimmer93 said, they're competing against so many strong and well known brands in these doors) is a whole different problem as JE tries to make the shift from a menswear basics focussed company to a full-fledged head to toe elevated brand.

11. nsubrmnn

nsubrmnn Senior member

But something did go wrong, you (not you literally) miscalculated the market. This is Econ 101; supply and demand curves, equilibrium price/market clearing prices, etc. I understand that this is hard to calculate, but saying that brands want things to go on sale is ridiculous.

Is everyone trolling today?

1 person likes this.
  12. gerg99

gerg99 Senior member

Not trolling haha. Just trying to have a discussion man. Why everyone gotta be so snarky when someone tries to make a counter argument?

I understand supply and demand, it's no novel concept to me or to many people in here I'm sure. And sure, you're definitely right in some cases it's a market miscalculation, but you'd be hard pressed to find a brand that calculates the market perfectly to where all their pieces sell out every single season. Supply and demand is about finding a balance -- if you sell out every season, it could be argued that you're still making a mistake somewhere with your quantities.

What I'm saying is that there are degrees of supply and demand imbalances, the lesser of which are often unavoidable, and countering your point that JUST because a brand goes on sale that there's some huge problem with their business model.

1 person likes this.
  13. nsubrmnn

nsubrmnn Senior member

Truth. I feel ya. that's enough Econ for one day, let's talk about sizing again! ;) jk but seriously where are all the pics of the latest Drops?

1 person likes this.
  14. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Senior member

This.

Especially when people (in this thread and EVERYWHERE else) make comments like "that price is nuts, I'll wait til it goes on sale".

2 people like this.
  15. gerg99

gerg99 Senior member

Haha can't decide which I like better econ class or sizing forum? Or leflops top notch clothing descriptions?

2 people like this.
  16. leclutchjames

leclutchjames Senior member

What if the buyers just have bad judgement on what product they think they can move?

17. leFLOPjames

leFLOPjames Senior member

it's simply absurd to say otherwise. On that note, I hope this year's November sale is similar to last year, because that was kick ass, tons of surprise pieces from old seasons. It was like a gift from JE to us and I loved it. Sales are part of the game for nearly every designer and it's impossible to correctly determine amounts produced (unless they are using just in time style inventory/supply chain management where stuff is made to order, which doesn't exist in this segment..). It's diff if all of these other outlets have stock that isn't selling and deicde to put stuff on sale though. If that's an issue JE should send less to the big box outlets, (especially garbage ones like Saks) where they make the clothing look like shit

2 people like this.
  18. leFLOPjames

leFLOPjames Senior member

Post of the day - thanks bra

1 person likes this.
  19. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Senior member

lol just noticed leclutch and leflop

20. MaiLam

MaiLam Senior member

Still reppin the custom-dye job Safari hoodie (I know that discussion tends towards discussing the latest drops here, but pics of people wearing JE have dried up a bit so....)

[​IMG]

If interested, tee is W+H, jeans are Nudie and shoes are No. 288

2 people like this.