• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

John Carter

boogaboogabooga

Reaction score
This is a film that, upon seeing the previews, I immediately dismissed as the worst sort of Hollywood movie. Out of curiosity I read some of the reviews (mostly mixed) that are out there and was surprised to find that the film was worked on by a very competent crew. Director Mark Stanton (Finding Nemo and WALL-E), Michael Chabon (winner of of a Pulitzer Prize for Cavalier & Clay) helped with the script, and it has a crazy good cast of supporting actors like Willem Dafoe, Brian Cranston, Cirian Hinds, Samantha Morton, Mark Strong, Thomas Haden Church and Dominic West. Upon reading this, I immediately decided this is something I wanted to see as a historically/sociologically-minded cinemaphile . Then I saw this, the first 10 minutes of the film: [VIDEO][/VIDEO] In that first 10 minutes, I think Mark Stanton may have beat Steven Spielberg's most recent 2 attempts at recapturing an Indiana Jones-like tone with John Carter's humor, histrionics, and sense of adventure. Now, I'm not expecting this film to be incredible cinema, but I am interested in it as an oddity. I must admit, I am even a little psyched to watch something that's such a bizarre studio product. Apparently the source material was written around the 1920's, is considered a precursor to all space opera, and has been ripped off in every way imaginable. Anyhoo, if you guys happen to want to see it or end up watching it for whatever reason, drop a line. I'm interested to read what people think about this.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score

This is a film that, upon seeing the previews, I immediately dismissed as the worst sort of Hollywood movie. Out of curiosity I read some of the reviews (mostly mixed) that are out there and was surprised to find that the film was worked on by a very competent crew. Director Mark Stanton (Finding Nemo and WALL-E), Michael Chabon (winner of of a Pulitzer Prize for Cavalier & Clay) helped with the script, and it has a crazy good cast of supporting actors like Willem Dafoe, Brian Cranston, Cirian Hinds, Samantha Morton, Mark Strong, Thomas Haden Church and Dominic West. Upon reading this, I immediately decided this is something I wanted to see as a historically/sociologically-minded cinemaphile . Then I saw this, the first 10 minutes of the film: [VIDEO][/VIDEO] In that first 10 minutes, I think Mark Stanton may have beat Steven Spielberg's most recent 2 attempts at recapturing an Indiana Jones-like tone with John Carter's humor, histrionics, and sense of adventure. Now, I'm not expecting this film to be incredible cinema, but I am interested in it as an oddity. I must admit, I am even a little psyched to watch something that's such a bizarre studio product. Apparently the source material was written around the 1920's, is considered a precursor to all space opera, and has been ripped off in every way imaginable. Anyhoo, if you guys happen to want to see it or end up watching it for whatever reason, drop a line. I'm interested to read what people think about this.
I'm curious about it, because I read several of the John Carter of Mars books when I was a young'un during my Edgar Rice Burroughs phase. Tried reading one a couple of years ago and gave up after a couple of pages.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I saw a commercial for it last night and thought it was a sick joke. Know nothing about the source material. The 10 minutes I've seen here doesn't seem terrible I guess. Will not be paying to watch though

Last edited:

boogaboogabooga

Reaction score

This guy has to be the worst actor since David Caruso

Yeah, considering the character I can't help but think that casting wishes they could travel back in time and get a young Harrison Ford.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
disney action movie? no thanks.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am watching it.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd much rather watch Battleship than this piece of garbage.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am sure you think the book was garbage to.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I can't wait for this film. The buzz has been strong and it's based on one of the most classic of sci-fi stories. My gut tells me that it's going to bomb due to the ****** marketing the House of the Mouse (no relation) has done, but it might end up being a real gem.

Last edited:

Reynard369

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I can't wait for this film. The buzz has been strong and it's based on one of the most classic of sci-fi stories. My gut tells me that it's going to bomb due to the ****** marketing the House of the Mouse (no relation) has done, but it might end up being a real gem.

Where? Nothing I have read about this movie has been positive.

boogaboogabooga

Reaction score

Where? Nothing I have read about this movie has been positive.

Yeah, mostly mixed as far as I can tell and it's really early in the game. I just read a review from Variety which I'm strangely thinking is probably accurate.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I probably would have liked this when I was five.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads