• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Johannesburg South Africa?

Kevin24

Reaction score
I've recently been offered a position in South Africa, specifically Johannesburg? I was wondering what the lifestyle is like there-does nightlife exist? Is it easy for an expat to make friends?

Also, I was wondering how the menswear scene is in Johannesburg as well?

Thank you in advance!

Omega Male

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haven't worked there regularly since 2014 so take this with a grain of salt. But yes, nightlife there was aplenty -- everyone drinks like it's their job, for starters -- although it tended towards ending up at Teasers (the local high-end strip club of choice, until the owner got whacked in gangland hit.) And on that note, don't take the offer unless you get paid enough to live in a secure complex in a good area, because if you're in the wrong place at the wrong time in SA you can end up dead fairly quickly.

Kevin24

Reaction score
Haven't worked there regularly since 2014 so take this with a grain of salt. But yes, nightlife there was aplenty -- everyone drinks like it's their job, for starters -- although it tended towards ending up at Teasers (the local high-end strip club of choice, until the owner got whacked in gangland hit.) And on that note, don't take the offer unless you get paid enough to live in a secure complex in a good area, because if you're in the wrong place at the wrong time in SA you can end up dead fairly quickly.
It's decently paid (with accommodation in Sandton included).

I've been weighing whether to take it.

Should I be fine though?

Omega Male

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I mean, on balance, yes you should be fine. We had kids in tow, so weren’t comfortable living in Johannesburg. Based family in Cape Town and commuted up. But no safety/security issues in four years for what it’s worth. As an expat, you do kind of live in a bubble and you can live really, really well if you’re getting paid in forex. The country is beautiful and easy to explore as the tourism infrastructure is first class. Go to the Kruger Park, go diving and/or fishing in Mozambique, drive down the garden route to the Cape wine lands. These are experiences that you’ll never forget. Downside, it is kinda the wild west both socially and in the business arena, you really do need to watch your back. In my experience of the expat community, entrepreneurial people who were comfortable with ambiguity and making decisions on the fly tended to do well there, while those with a bureaucratic mindset — often from Europe — found it hard to adjust. Unfortunately racial animus has been on the rise again in the last few years (reasons why are complicated) and that can be uncomfortable. PM me if you have specific questions.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.