1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Jobs in China.

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by Jokerman, Jun 16, 2012.

1. Eason

Eason Senior member

You can find decent (by Chinese standards) apts for ~3k in Beijing, at least you could 3 years ago. I had a 80m2 in Si Tong Qiao right on the subway and bus routes in Hai Dian district for 3k, it was an old Chinese style apt which had no heating, but that's standard in China. My brother lived in Chao Yang district and had a somewhat smaller place for around 2.5k. It's all to your standards, of course. My apt had 1 water valve with manual gas so you had to turn it on and all the water would be that temperature. If you showered and someone tried to turn on the kitchen tap, you'd get scalded. It was fun and exciting! If you want new and nice, that will cost you anywhere from 5k-16k depending on size/location.

So, after your rent + utilities (3500 a month) you should be able to get by easily on 100 rmb a day assuming you're cooking at home or eating Chinese food. If you're eating at expat places you will be paying 5-10x higher prices for a meal. Then another 3k for going out and random expenses. You can live extremely comfortably on 10k, just don't expect to feel like you're living in a western or normal country, because you aren't. Including rent/bills I spent less than 6k a month for a majority of my time in Beijing and of course most Chinese live on less than 1k.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  2. Trompe le Monde

Trompe le Monde Senior member

what of running a restaurant or bar is there to sneer at ? or being in hospitality ? or simply relaxing and retiring ?

3. Lord-Barrington

Lord-Barrington Senior member

I have nothing but respect for people who work in the service and hospitality industry. What I'm referring to are expats who open up a crappy guesthouse so they can fund their "endless vacation" in Phuket.

As far as retiring, I don't like the idea of my tax dollars paying the pension of some 61 year old guy living in Isan with his 25 year old Thai "wife".

This may sound like sour grapes, but anyone who has travelled extensively through Asia is probably nodding their head in agreement.

1 person likes this.
  4. Maximator

Maximator Senior member

You'll find that the prices for apartments of similar standard varies VERY widely. The apartments that you refer to are in the typical expat areas, in the Central business district, close to all the large corporations and drinking areas. If Beijing would be New York, CBD would be Manhattan(in the very loosest sense). I spend 2k on rent for a room in a 2 bedroom (about 70sqm) for a decent apartment. I like to cook so I eat at home quite a lot so I guess food is another 2-3k and then I bike a lot(usually faster than taxi/subway) so I save cash on that. then you have entertainment, which is another 2-3k a month, but that's what screws most people over. They go out and party every night and then they run out of money.

I would also like to point out that ESL teachers here in China make quite a good living, compared to the white collar people here. Many of my friends are white collar workers and few people break 20k/month. Of course there are those that do, but they aren't the norm, and that's working 40-60h/week.

Eason, DAMN, you had bad luck with your apartment. Even 3 years ago, apartments where a lot better than that. Also, no heating is NOT standard in Beijing. Here is how it works. ALL apartments north of Shanghai have central heating(it's government controlled, so there is a set date when it turns on and off), and many of them have AC/s in addition to that. So most likely you got screwed by the landlord, who didn't want to fix the heating. Your water system also sounds horrible. Nothing like the apartments that I've experienced(I've moved 12 times here in China).

As for feeling like living in a western city, you'll never feel that unless you never leave your apartment/villa, but to me that's part of the charm.

To all the people indirectly calling me a looser for being a teacher, [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Perhaps Eason was living in a Hutong? I believe you have to sort your own heating for them things. Using a wood burning stove or electric heater or something.

When I've lived in apartments north of Shanghai, the heating and hot water have always been great. No problems at my current location.

6. Eason

Eason Senior member

Yeah I mean it had public/central heating. You could put your hands on the pipes directly and it would just feel warm to your skin. I called public services and they just said it's an old building so that's what you get. We kept a thermometer in the kitchen, most days it was 11C. Better than 0-2C outside, but still awful.

7. Lord-Barrington

Why didn't you just come home, player?

8. Eason

Eason Senior member

I wanted enough work experience to get into a grad program and get a job in HK so I put up with it

9. wj4

wj4 Senior member

Preach on, Lord B! I take it you visit my homeland quite often too since you made references to Isan and Thailand.

It boggles my mind that everyone thinks all 'farang' are wealthy. There's some low life scumbags who traveled across the world to marry a woman who's 1/3 his age to treat her like a slave.

Like you, I respect those who work in hospitality. I simply don't have the patience to put up with all that nonsense. My aunt has a condo in BKK, and her neighbors are from Chicago....man, they're some nasty and rude folks. I snapped on them one day when I went back home....good times.

10. wj4

wj4 Senior member

You're never coming back to the states, D. I will visit you when i go back home. We can wear matching deep cut t shirts. :slayer:

11. Eason

Eason Senior member

You got it. Deep v even in winter :slayer:

12. Lord-Barrington

Those who haven't visited don't know, I'm afraid!

With that said, many Asian countries are beautiful, filled with curious and interesting people and are a joy to visit (some, less so -- looking at you, SCAMbodia!) But my take is that if you aren't there doing something serious with your time, you're probably a loser. And having a little bit more cash than everyone else in a poorer country doesn't make you any less of a loser, even if it can buy you a teenage bride and a foot massage.

13. wj4

wj4 Senior member

The funny part is that it takes a lot of money to really live that luxury lifestyle in a developing country. Cars are 2-3 times higher, so are luxury goods, ie timepieces and clothing.

Just curious, Lord B...where are you located? For some reason, I have always thought London, haha.

14. wj4

wj4 Senior member

We can go work out together, broham. I was one of the bigger guys at the gym when I was working out in the homeland. You must be a monster!

15. Lord-Barrington

Montreal. London would be cool but I don't think I could live with the food for the longterm...

16. bennyb

bennyb Member

Do not work in China, very traumatic place to be speaking for 5 yrs experience, living in Beijing, Guangzhou,shenzhen and a handfulof other cities. Much better in the UK despite the economic conditions

17. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

...go on

18. Lord-Barrington

After having travelled extensively over the last half decade, I've come to the firm conclusion that the only way I would spend more than a couple months at a time in China (or most other asian countries) is if I was on a corporate expat package (i.e. twice the salary, expenses paid for, etc).

Nothing against China, which has it's highs and lows (like any country) but going there's no way I'd give up the comforts of home to live there for years.

19. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

What, attending the Job Centre every week or filling shelves at Tesco? TBH I'd had enough of been a security guard.

To make it work you have to find the right place. I've also been in Beijing, Hangzhou, Guangzhou, Shenzhen and Zhuhai. Knowing Mandarin helps immensely as well.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  20. Eason

Eason Senior member

You speak Mandarin? I remember you said you were learning a while back, that's good if you've already 進步了! \