1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Jobs in China.

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by Jokerman, Jun 16, 2012.

1. MikeDT

MikeDT Well-Known Member

I'm sure been able to speak Mandarin is probably the single most useful thing you can have for life in China. Good luck with your move, please keep us posted how you get on. If you do intend to look at Facebook, Youtube, etc. you will need a VPN. BTW are you teaching or doing something else?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
  2. tv2177

tv2177 Well-Known Member

I have been there for the past 2 summers and I got myself a realize VPN, but thanks for the headsup.

I am going to start my job at a law firm in Beijing.

3. Sir Humphrey Appleby

Sir Humphrey Appleby Well-Known Member

What happens if you get caught with a VPN?

4. MikeDT

MikeDT Well-Known Member

Probably all depends on what you're doing. If you're an expat or tourist accessing Facebook or posting something on StyleForvm, nothing. On the other hand if you're a Chinese national trying to find or post something deemed illegal or undersirable by the CPC. Well you'd brobably find yourself been beaten with the butt of a QBZ and dragged off to a laogai for 20 years.

Thing is I'm sure the Great FireWall is meant more of a deterrent rather than a complete block. The authorities know many companies might need access to western websites in order to conduct their international business. Tencent in Shenzhen have a large presence on Facebook.

I have to be careful what I teach about in class. I know one foreign teacher who got into trouble, because he done a lesson based around the one-child policy. Not a good idea...
    From his PPT "Hello and welcome to our debate 辩论 . This one is called the ONE CHILD POLICY. 一个孩子的限制 Policy of birth planning 计划生育政策 "

Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
  5. Maximator

Maximator Well-Known Member

Most of you are right on the money when it comes to your assessments of the Chinese people. You are however wrong in assuming that this is the only side. Yes, money is paramount. Yes, they can be incredibly rude, and yes, the pollution and traffic suck immeasurably much.

On the other hand, if you can work the system(at least to some extent) you can do incredibly well. While teaching English might be a black hole on a resume, I have found that you can make very good money off it. I know that very many of my foreign friends make a lot less money than I do here. I've also had more opportunities here than anywhere else in the world. I guess being in a developing nation does have it's perks, mostly from not being such a structured society. I do however agree on the fact that one necessity is that you leave your moral and ethical compass at the door. Morals and ethics(and compassion to some extent) are VERY useless.

A lot of people come to China expecting it to work like any other place in the world, which is why so many have such a miserable time. If you learn how to play the game, you'll do VERY well.

- Maximator

6. Eason

Eason Well-Known Member

Being King of a junkyard still means you live in a junkyard. :D

edit: I'm being unfairly dismissive here- if making money is your goal, then if you earn enough that you can save a significant amount of money then it could be worth it. If you can make 30,000 RMB a month, then you can live comfortably (in a big city, assuming) by saving 20k RMB a month. You can save about 37k USD a year by doing that, which is not bad. If simply making money and getting out is what you want though, the UAE will let you save twice as much.

Also, while my statements about China at large are extremely negative, I do appreciate the lifestyle and the work people like MikeDT do in the places far from the emperor. I promised myself I'd never go back to China, but I have a hankering to visit some far-off, clean, friendly places like just for the experience.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  7. Maximator

Maximator Well-Known Member

that's very true. However, it will be MY junkyard. I will have built it(talking about my business), not someone else.

Also, being king is AWESOME!!!

8. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member

the apostrophe in the title of this thread annoyed me so deeply that I used my mod powers for the first time in like 18 months

Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
    2 people like this.
  9. MikeDT

MikeDT Well-Known Member

Cheers to Matt, SF mod and possessive apostrophe killer. :) It was annoying me as well.

10. Eason

Eason Well-Known Member

11. Lord-Barrington

Lord-Barrington Well-Known Member

I've said it before and I'll say it again: If you're a non-white collar expat (i.e. you don't live abroad working as a legitimate business person) you either:

A) Are a loser

B) Will become a loser

C) Will forever be surrounded by losers.

As someone who has spent a plenty of time in Asia, believe me, this is true. Say whatever you want, it's still true.

12. MikeDT

MikeDT Well-Known Member

What do you qualify as? A, B or C?

13. Lord-Barrington

I'm not an expat, so none of the above. I go to Asia for travel or business, but never stay.

14. AldenPyle

AldenPyle Well-Known Member

Not at all true. Quite a few of the dads at the local international school are working class Britons and Australians who've made a go of it in Hong Kong. Make a good living, own nice houses, have nice families.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  15. Lord-Barrington

Made a go doing what? Legitimate business? Managing factories in Shenzhen? That's not what I'm referring to. I'm referring to TESL teachers, guest house owners, sexpats, bar owners, beach bums, etc. That's the lions share of expats you run into outside of the big cities and, by and large, they're losers.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  16. AldenPyle

AldenPyle Well-Known Member

Different stuff. People own a couple of restaurants or manage them, sell some high-end transportation equipment or fix them. Pilots, obviously. A lot of ways to make a buck and there are many places foreigners might have a competitive advantage or special skills. And Singapore, its a higher order of magnitude.

The examples your listing are basically definitive losers + ESL teachers. I think it would be hard to make a long-term career of that w/o moving into management, but thats true of many professions.

17. Lord-Barrington

White collar and specialized professionals are obviously different. I'm not talking about the people you see walking out of the Four Seasons in Hong Kong. I'm talking about the expats you see outside of the major cities.

18. Eason

Eason Well-Known Member

Hong Kong is not really one of those asian/ ESL teacher countries. I think that the salary for ESL is too low in HK for any foreigner to really do it for more than a year, they wouldn't be able to drink or go out.

19. chogall

chogall Well-Known Member

It's a former colony; honkies are still under heavy British cultural influence and still resist Chinese re education camps.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  20. HomerJ

HomerJ Well-Known Member

Do you mind elaborating on that 10k budget?

I looked at some cost of living websites (geared toward white collar expats I assume) and the figures started at 10k for a basic apartment..

I'm curious in the remote chance that I take a position in Beijing.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2012