• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

job opportunities seem worse now

Milpool

Reaction score
I usually send out resumes every 6 months or so to openings that seem promising even if I'm perfectly happy in a position. Never know what might come up.

There seems to be absolutely nothing out there right now. Even worse than 6 months ago. I'd at least get some emails thanking me for sending a resume or something 6 months ago. Now, I don't even get that.

Is the job market getting worse, better, or staying level?

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Level, or slightly slower IMO.

Had recruiters calling a few months ago (mid year) and several positions open on trade websites.

yjeezle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd say it's been the same since around May. It may have gotten worse... I didn't know the job hunt was this hard... hopefully there will be more openings in the future.

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think end of the year always slows down a bit for hiring, although I did get an email from a recruiter the other day saying he had a couple of clients that wanted to quickly fill a few positions before the end of the year (budgetary reasons perhaps?)

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've gotten emails from recruiters in the last couple weeks after a lull of a couple months. A couple I might have jumped at had I received them 6 months from now, but i'm not ready to move yet.

yjeezle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
where do you work where recruiters come to you? o_O

shanker

Reaction score
Depends on your expertise.

My company has almost 20 openings right now. Any Algal Physiologist out there??

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Toronto. I don't know that the unemployment rate is a whole lot better than anywhere else because at the end of 2009 it was almost 10%.

I think it's meaningless to talk about job opportunities in general. Different sectors/fields have been affected in different ways. Law has been devastated in both canada and us afaik. Banking in US, but not so much canada. Manufacturing is hurting in both places. I'm in IT and that industry has constant turn-over - probably higher than most fields - so skilled people are always in demand regardless of business cycles.

photoguy

Reaction score
I've been having the same experience as the first few posters. It has been a very bad environment for making a move (as well as for advancing in my current job). I'm thinking of quitting my job and setting up my own shop within the next year or so if this keeps up, just to get my career moving forward again.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Milpool
I usually send out resumes every 6 months or so to openings that seem promising even if I'm perfectly happy in a position. Never know what might come up.

There seems to be absolutely nothing out there right now. Even worse than 6 months ago. I'd at least get some emails thanking me for sending a resume or something 6 months ago. Now, I don't even get that.

Is the job market getting worse, better, or staying level?

Tell me about it, before I got my current job in Zhu Hai, I applied for literally 100 or so jobs I was more than qualified for in HK, didn't get anything but 3 interviews I couldn't even attend in time.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I gradauted college in May. I'm working a P/T Paid internship and teaching SAT's for Kaplan because there were literally 0 entry level (Media/publishing) job openings. My Internship is probably going to become a real job, though I'm dreading the thought of that not even happening (Then again, after this internship i'll be significantly more qualified for the jobs I want)

fiasco

Reaction score
yea i am a recent graduate as well and I'm having no luck finding a decent job. Im getting more and more desperate as the days go by =[

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It seems to me now that the opportunities are always there for those who have skills and networks, unless there is like 50% or your particular industry just collapsed.

The hard part is for those who have no way to demonstrate their worth, haven't built up their network, etc.

But seriously, many people just don't work hard enough/smart enough/long enough to be in the top 20% of employees that are always in demand.

yjeezle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GraphicNovelty
I gradauted college in May. I'm working a P/T Paid internship and teaching SAT's for Kaplan because there were literally 0 entry level (Media/publishing) job openings. My Internship is probably going to become a real job, though I'm dreading the thought of that not even happening (Then again, after this internship i'll be significantly more qualified for the jobs I want)

Originally Posted by fiasco
yea i am a recent graduate as well and I'm having no luck finding a decent job. Im getting more and more desperate as the days go by =[

Recent grad here as well. I had to take a job that has brutal hours. Times are tough right now...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads