• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Job offer salary negotiations when unemployed...

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Long story short - I was (unexpectedly and without warning) let go from my previous job a few months back. Have been through a few interviews with a new company recently and I'm expecting an offer in a day or so. Obviously, I'm not in a strong negotiating position. It a great company, excellent benefits, and a position I'm really looking forward to - but at the same time, of course I'd like to maximize my earnings.

When we initially discussed salary, I provided a range, and the HR rep said he could definitely work with it. He came back a few days later and mentioned that finance was giving him some trouble, and that they were trying to get approval for additional money. I spoke with the hiring manager's boss on Friday, and he asked if I'd be ok with a number that was 1/3 of the way into my range; I replied that I'd be amenable that. HR has requested to speak with me tomorrow to "run some numbers by" me.

Suggestions on how to proceed (especially if the numbers are below what the hiring manager's boss mentioned last week?)

JunyaYamamoto

Reaction score
i dont have any suggestions, but i was wondering if you were comfortable telling me which company is hiring? i was part of a research project at CHOP that just ended, so im looking for employment as well.

DressedWell

Reaction score
Long story short - I was (unexpectedly and without warning) let go from my previous job a few months back. Have been through a few interviews with a new company recently and I'm expecting an offer in a day or so. Obviously, I'm not in a strong negotiating position. It a great company, excellent benefits, and a position I'm really looking forward to - but at the same time, of course I'd like to maximize my earnings.
When we initially discussed salary, I provided a range, and the HR rep said he could definitely work with it. He came back a few days later and mentioned that finance was giving him some trouble, and that they were trying to get approval for additional money. I spoke with the hiring manager's boss on Friday, and he asked if I'd be ok with a number that was 1/3 of the way into my range; I replied that I'd be amenable that. HR has requested to speak with me tomorrow to "run some numbers by" me.
Suggestions on how to proceed (especially if the numbers are below what the hiring manager's boss mentioned last week?)
They are feeling you out. They are trying to go as low as possible, just as you want to go as high as possible.

Do a little research. What is your experience worth? How much of a discount are you willing to give this company?

Sir Humphrey Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you take out redundancy insurance/have enough savings to live on for the forseeable future? If I have no income I tend to take what I'm offered, wait until you already have something guaranteed before pushing it.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Normally, I do research first and ask for the top end of the normal range and hope they don't counter too far from my ask.

Sounds like you're past this stage so you gotta accept what you can live with. Is it an insultingly low offer or does it sound like they're playing hard ball given your position? If so, are you willing to work with a company like that? If so, counter with whatever they offer (maybe ask for X more and explain how low it is compared to going rates). If they say sorry this is final, then it's up to you to walk away or live with it (but they'd have to know you'd jump at the next best thing that comes along). If their financial situation seems temporary you can also consider asking they work in a significant pay raise after your 6 month or 1 year probation/review period (in writing of course).

Good Luck.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

i dont have any suggestions, but i was wondering if you were comfortable telling me which company is hiring?  i was part of a research project at CHOP that just ended, so im looking for employment as well.  
WTF? :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Arthur PE

Reaction score
good benefits
in the range you stipulated
do you think you will like the job?
room to advance?

I'd jump on it unless you have other offers
easier (and less stress) to find a job when working

what do you do?
are you in a field in high demand?

Last edited:

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You gave them a range you would be happy with...they gave you back a number in that range.

You can try to ask for more but dude...you already told them you were happy with the number. Next time fight hard on not saying anything. At the end of the day you can keep saying that you aren't comfortable discussing that and they are the ones with an obligation to put a number down on an offer sheet.

They aren't going to take the offer away if you try to negotiate...but they might not go any higher.

Arthur PE

Reaction score
You gave them a range you would be happy with...they gave you back a number in that range.
You can try to ask for more but dude...you already told them you were happy with the number. Next time fight hard on not saying anything. At the end of the day you can keep saying that you aren't comfortable discussing that and they are the ones with an obligation to put a number down on an offer sheet.
They aren't going to take the offer away if you try to negotiate...but they might not go any higher.

ditto

if you ask for more, they may move on, I doubt they only interviewed 1 person
if you wanted more, change the range, higher, narrower, whatever, you gave a range, they are within it
I've hired people, and the offer is the offer, especially if I met their requested range

the way I look at at it, somebody who basically reneged on a deal (gives me a range, I am within the range), will only be a problem employee down the road...get in the door, and show them what you can do

Last edited:

imschatz

Reaction score

ditto

if you wanted more, change the range, higher, narrower, whatever, you gave a range, they are within it
I've hired people, and the offer is the offer, especially if I met their requested range

the way I look at at it, somebody who basically reneged on a deal (gives me a range, I am within the range), will only be a problem employee down the road...get in the door, and show them what you can do
This.

Is there incentive/performance bonus'? Take the base-salary they give you .. and if possible, negotiate on the bonus structure.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks all. I didn't go into as much detail as I should have in the OP - a number was mentioned on Friday, and the way the email before the conversation with HR was worded, I was concerned that that number wasn't what was going to be presented. Turns out it was. I had done the research before I presented my range, and I'm happy with where I ended up.

Junya - they're actually not hiring in the area; I'm working remotely. Best of luck in your search.

Last edited:

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

ditto

Eh...that's extremely unlikely (and if they do rescind an offer over a first attempt to negotiate, you don't want to work there anyway). They might say no...but they won't say nevermind. They've already shown their hand and made the offer to you with a number...asking for more shouldn't change their willingness to hire you at the original number if they don't like your request.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads