1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Job offer rescinded

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by dmass1, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

You're a complete fucking moron and no "scenario" will ever hide that.

OP: follow Douglas advice, I'd have just kneed whoever in the balls but I think he is more sensible in his general outlook

"real world": a term used to qualify a work environment where someone is a white collar worker in the private sector in a western company seeking to make a max of $$$. In other words it is used by imbeciles who think the only real world is the one that is exactly like theirs. People who expose their lack of empathy, worldliness and intelligence by using that expression would be better used as fertilizer.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
    4 people like this.
  2. smoothmoose

smoothmoose Senior member

Just wanted to say I agree with the general consensus that negotiation is to your benefit and not doing it may even be to your peril, especially in jobs where you are expected to negotiate on the job say sales, finance, law, etc.

Now how you approach negotiations is totally another matter...as in negotiating like a screaming and pouting 3 year old asking for more candy, or like a true professional literally separates the boys from the men.

3. CTLION

CTLION Senior member

I have negotiated the offer in every position I have taken and in most cases negotiated $10,000 - $20,000 more in salary. I think most will find that the benefits are more difficult but where you can negotiate is time off. My most recent negotiation added to my salary and landed me an addition week of vacation to 35 days off a year.

As a matter of fact I have since hired three people to work for my division and have been really surprised/dumb founded that they did not try to get more money. But then again I really enjoy the process of negotiation whereas most people dread it. It never hurts to ask and rarely do people get upset. My last company I negotiated a very sweet stock option and 1 year severance which at the end of my contract was a nice pay day.

I would say this as a rule of thumb...always negotiate, but do so with respect.

4. mecityokes

mecityokes New Member

yes,I declined the position, after they wouldn't increase their offer.thank you
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  5. austinite

austinite Well-Known Member

My experience is that the "offer rescinded because of excessive negotiation attempt" can in fact happen, particularly if you go about the negotiation the wrong way. By that I don't necessarily mean kicking and screaming like a 3 year old that wants candy, but doing things like taking too much time to respond, going through too many back and forth iterations, or trying to negotiate in the wrong area (for instance asking for more time off at a company with a culture of 80 hour weeks). Remember that the goal of any negotiation is to the find the equilibrium where everyone is happy. You want to ask them to move in places where you care more than they do, and stay away from subjects that they are sensitive about.

I don't see this fear as a rational reason to not negotiate your offer. You most definitely should negotiate for anything that is highly important to you, and if that process reveals that the company in question is a bad fit then so be it. I would think that the vast majority of initial job offers are worth negotiating, and I believe that a well-executed negotiation demonstrates positive value.

1 person likes this.
  6. yourofferusb

yourofferusb New Member

great.They offered a week less of vacation and I wasn't able to join the 401K for over a year. When I took that into account, I wouldn't really be making any more money. So I declined the position, after they wouldn't increase their offer.thanks for your sharing
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013