• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Job interviews at retail clothes store

Silentblue

Reaction score
Should I dress up like I normally do or go for a suit? I have always been a big believer of the wear a suit to any job interviews because there is no such thing as trying too hard when you want a job, but what about clothes stores that are fashionable and are seeking people who are also pretty fashionable? I normally dressed reasonably fashionable but would fashionable retail stores be more impressed with my fashion sense or me wearing a nicely fitted suit with a briefcase? Here is what I would probably wear to show my fashion sense(it may vary),
6h3bad5.jpg
4ktjjwl.jpg
61y8llc.jpg
(These pictures make everything look bad for some reason
frown.gif
, maybe it's just me.) H&M Shirt American Apparel Vest A red tie APC NS Skagen Watch Gram shoes Here is what I look like when I dress formally,
4ygzsz9.jpg
(except without the trench coat) (shirts and ties may vary) Would it depend on different types of retail store? Should it be like, GAP = Normally dressed American Rag = Normally dressed American Apparel = Normally dressed Victoria's Secret = Formally dressed Ann Taylor Loft = Formally dressed Zara = Formally dressed Armani Exchange = Formally dressed Macy's/JC Penny/Nordstrom = Formally Dressed ? Thanks guys.

velobran

Reaction score
I like the mix you have put together. It looks fashionable, but not in a trendy way. I would wear that to any retail interview except at a high-end store. I would go with a nice fitting suit with a moder shirt/tie combination.

tljenkin

Reaction score
Why would you take a brief-case?

leftover_salmon

Reaction score
What's your "formal" outfit for? Mafia interviews? It's a real sleazy-looking goombah outfit.

But the more casual thing you've put together is nice...but I also think it looks like you're trying too hard.

My general advice is to dress up just a little more than you would if you actually worked at the place.

Silentblue

Reaction score
What's your "formal" outfit for? Mafia interviews? It's a real sleazy-looking goombah outfit. BTW, don't wear the second outfit unless Christopher Moltasanti is a regular customer at the store.
Well it's just a blazer and pants since I wouldn't wear a trenchcoat during summer anyway. Also, the shirt would most likely be a brighter color with a darker tie.
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Depends where you are interviewing. So tell us.
This is more of a future reference thing as I've started applying to a few retail stores and hoping I get some calls.
Originally Posted by tljenkin
Why would you take a brief-case?
I read this interview tip and thought it was a pretty good idea, except instead of leather binder it's a leather brief-case,
Ok first rule of interviews, wear a dress shirt, pants, shoes. This shows professionalism. Bring a black leather binder if you have one. Inside have a pen and a large paper area where you can write things. On the paper write some questions that will sound good. "How many people will be working on my team?" "Is there an employee recognition program?" "How many hours would I be allowed to work?" things that make you sound eager to do well. Remember to shake the interviewers hand with a light but firm handshake. Wear your hair neatly, if it's long consider getting it cut before you interview. Don't wear colognes or anything strong smelling. Shave off all facial hair. You will be asked questions such as "Why do you want to work here?" "Tell me about a time you promised something to someone and never came threw?" "Tell me about a time you were asked to do something you absolutely hated but did it anyways."
also for bribing the interviewer

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Tell me about a time you promised something to someone and never came threw?"
I don't know how reliable a source this is for tips on professionalism.

Silentblue

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
I don't know how reliable a source this is for tips on professionalism.
I actually got an interview in the past at a fashion store where they asked that question except they changed it around to "Tell me about a time when you had an idea for the company but was shot down by the manager." Well, speak of the devil. I just a call from GAP in a wealthy neighborhood, I guess I should wear my normal get-up in the picture?

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I believe Joel_Cairo was referencing to the obvious spelling mistake: "came threw" instead of "came through".
laugh.gif

Silentblue

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
^ I believe Joel_Cairo was referencing to the obvious spelling mistake: "came threw" instead of "came through".
laugh.gif

..Oh
teacha.gif

I just took a picture of myself in my suit and here is what I'm planning to wear if I do decide to dress formally,

4vgqo2s.jpg

(yes, there is stuff in that case with my personal information and what not)

Now if you were a manager at GAP trying to find a new employee, which one would you be more impressed with? Suit or previous picture with sweater vest+jeans?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't go to the GAP in a suit, unless it's for a financial job at headquarters. Go dressed casually but well, and maybe wear something from there, though something straight from their current season might look a little desperate. GAP employees seem to wear a fair bit from there.

Me, I'd phone another GAP, tell them that you are coming for an interview, and ask whether what you plan to wear sounds good. If they say sure, okay. If not, ask for suggestions.

gqreader239

Reaction score
khakis with your h&m + tie and the sweater vest. tuck in the shirt. button up the top button and tie and knot properly. forget the briefcase, if you have a leather portfolio bring it. your resume in the portfolio. don't worry so much about being knowledgeble about the products you are selling, be knowledgeble about the customer base that might shop there and how to sell and appeal to them. for all purposes you work quickly and pay attention to detail. learn some facts about GAP, the opening date, what GAP stands for, etc..

leftover_salmon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Silentblue

4vgqo2s.jpg

(yes, there is stuff in that case with my personal information and what not)

That jacket looks too small and I believe you should button up the top two buttons on a three-button suit. I was never a fan of the three button suit for formal/business stuff. It's too fashion-y in my opinion. But I doubt you're gonna go out and buy a new suit just for some retail interviews. Just for future reference.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads