• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Job interviews at retail clothes store

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by leftover_salmon
I believe you should button up the top two buttons on a three-button suit.

You would be wrong. The top button is never to optional to mandatory, depending on the cut of the 3 button.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gqreader239
khakis with your h&m + tie and the sweater vest. tuck in the shirt. button up the top button and tie and knot properly. forget the briefcase, if you have a leather portfolio bring it. your resume in the portfolio. don't worry so much about being knowledgeble about the products you are selling, be knowledgeble about the customer base that might shop there and how to sell and appeal to them. for all purposes you work quickly and pay attention to detail. learn some facts about GAP, the opening date, what GAP stands for, etc..

For what it's worth, learn how retail stores of different types (high end boutique, mass marketer, department store with store-in-store design, etc...) are laid out. For example, trend items are typically placed directly in from of and at 45 degrees from the main entrance. These immediately draw the eye. Do you need the new band collar polo? Sure you do. items like socks and key chains are often placed close to the teller for impulse buying. tables are placed irregularly, so that there is no way of walking directly to the staples (plain tees and jeans) at the very back of the store. The more merchandise the customer pass on the way, the better. Similarly, tables are places close enough together that you can easily touch merchandise on both sides. At a place like the GAP, tables are stacked high with merchandise to suggest plenty (as opposed to boutiques, where scarcity and exclusivity are often emphasized.)

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd say just go into the store, see what the employees/managers are wearing, and wear just a notch above them.

I really like that first ensemble with the sweater-vest, it'd work for a good majority of all retail clothes stores, I'd say (except for stores that sell suits/formal menswear).

Skip the briefcase, that just SCREAMS "i'm trying too hard!" imho. Leather folder is just on the line between classy and trying to hard; I'd prefer a dark understated shoulder/messenger bag.

Only wear a suit to an interview if you think the employees/managers wear suits on a regular basis to work.

p.trick

Reaction score
The degree of formality I would dress to depends on the the kinds of products the store carries, the store's target market, how employees dress while working, etc.

Were I to interview for a job at Urban Outfitters, I would forego the tie and jacket. The company caters to the young and trendy with a wide variety of products. I wouldn't want to appear rigid and out of tune with the ebb and flow of street fashion.

Though Zara carries products similar in nature to that of UO, they stock just as much formalwear as well. In addition, most of the sales associates wear suits and ties on a daily basis. I would up the ante in this case to show that I can dress adequately for the sales floor.

And no jeans. Ever.

neato

Reaction score
Originally Posted by leftover_salmon
What's your "formal" outfit for? Mafia interviews? It's a real sleazy-looking goombah outfit.

This guy's right. Here in Philly, back when the mob was out in the open, all of the wiseguys seemed to wear black ties like the one you're wearing in the formal outfit.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Where are you applying? IMO working in clothing retail is awful, I would never do it again. Of course if you don't have much of a choice, you can hardly be blamed...

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonick
Only wear a suit to an interview if you think the employees/managers wear suits on a regular basis to work.

This is very bad advice. You should wear a suit to any interview that is for a position that could be considered professional at all, although I wouldn't do so when interviewing for an entry level job at a casual clothing store.

CoryB

Reaction score
I work at GAP and though only interview infrequently (though train rather frequently) I can provide a rather good perspective. I would dress closer to the first than the second; it would be an appropriate work look through you might want to follow drizzt's advice of doing top button with a well-tied knot. In reality your appearence is not going to highly important point, but showing up in a suit would look over-the-top. Additionally, try not to wear branded clothing from other brands and current season clothing from the store would be readily noticed; whether that would be positive or negative would probably be based upon the individual. My store is currently on a hiring frenzy (needing over 50 new hires to statisfy a new store opening) so you really have to screw up not to get hired.

You will be asked a variety of questions. Focus of these three areas: customer service, sales, and ability to work as a team. Sales in a lower-to-mid retail environment is effectively being friendly and ability to easily strike up conversation. There is a game that teenagers like to play where one tries to touch all four walls without being greeted and then get out the door again. It is one of the company's goals to not allow one to complete this. If you more questions specifically relating to GAP PM me.

By the by, GAP is pretty good place to work relative to other retail places, but the pay poor.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Yeah, the only upside is the employee discounts which I abused rediculously. A dress? Yup, that's for me on the weekends, 50% off please. They tried to interrogate me about it with all sorts of scare tactics, it was pretty funny. You pay your workers minimum wage, don't be suprised when they use the only good perk the job has. XD

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
This is very bad advice. You should wear a suit to any interview that is for a position that could be considered professional at all, although I wouldn't do so when interviewing for an entry level job at a casual clothing store.
My bad, should've made it clearer, I meant that for various retail clothing stores (e.g. Don't wear Abercrombie-esque outfits to an interview at Saks Fifth Ave. and vice versa), not actual professional positions.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
you should case all the stores you will apply at.
then dress about two notches above the help you see there.

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Silentblue
..Oh
teacha.gif

I just took a picture of myself in my suit and here is what I'm planning to wear if I do decide to dress formally,

4vgqo2s.jpg

(yes, there is stuff in that case with my personal information and what not)

Now if you were a manager at GAP trying to find a new employee, which one would you be more impressed with? Suit or previous picture with sweater vest+jeans?

This look is light years better than the first suit, although the jacket looks a bit too tight/short in the sleeves. And I'd recommend some cap toes or wing tips, nothing with buckles for a real interview. BTW, this is all for future reference; skip the suit altogether for a retail sales job at the Gap.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonick
I'd say just go into the store, see what the employees/managers are wearing, and wear just a notch above them.
+1 Dress such that they could put you on the floor straight from the interview. Show that you understand the look they're selling.

monkey dog

Reaction score
I am baffled at the amount of thought being put into how you should dress for an $8 an hour job.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads