• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Job Interview- Tips/What to wear?

Pinhas

Reaction score
I have a job interview for a project manager position in a construction/product design firm. Its been a short notice so I am looking for some tips and suggestions; its been a while since my last interview.

I don't have a good suit and I cant get one on a short notice. Should I go with dress pants, blazer, tie and shirt (prob wont match too good color/texture wise) or is it ok to wear dark denim (APC?) with loafers, blazer and tie?

Any feedback would be great; I really need that job!

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pinhas
I have a job interview for a project manager position in a construction/product design firm. Its been a short notice so I am looking for some tips and suggestions; its been a while since my last interview.

I don't have a good suit and I cant get one on a short notice. Should I go with dress pants, blazer, tie and shirt (prob wont match too good color/texture wise) or is it ok to wear dark denim (APC?) with loafers, blazer and tie?

Any feedback would be great; I really need that job!

Target's Merona brand suits are held in wide regard here for cheap on-the-fly solutions. Swing by your local Target (if applicable), go to men's department, look through previous posts here for how to determine fit, etc. Buy a navy suit, white shirt, and a nice conservative tie.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the above doesn't work out I would definitely favour slacks over denim, unless you know that its a jeans and T kind of place.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've never met a project manager that wore more than a Polo Shirt and jeans.

Dress shirt with a button down collar, charcoal wool slacks and tassel loafers would probably put you at the top of the list.

I wouldn't wear a suit unless I knew the firm was very corporate. The project managers are usually in the field, so I really doubt their expecting a suit/tie.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But if you're meeting at an office, surely dressing for the field would be inappropriate? This maybe the US/UK divergence when it comes to casual work-wear, but if I was trying to convince a guy that I should be in charge of a team, and responsible for getting everything done right and on time, I'd be wearing a suit and be 10 minutes early for the meeting.

Pinhas

Reaction score
All good points here guys, thanks. I think I will stop by Zara on my lunch and see if I can find something there for a decent price. tried to stay way from getting a Zara suit and save for something better but I dont have much of a choice now.

I do agree that denim is out of the question; so I guess at this point Zara is my best bet.

Anyone has experiecce with Zara suits? What is the best fit/color for a suit I can use both on official interviews and at times on a "suited up" night out?

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Blackhood
But if you're meeting at an office, surely dressing for the field would be inappropriate? This maybe the US/UK divergence when it comes to casual work-wear, but if I was trying to convince a guy that I should be in charge of a team, and responsible for getting everything done right and on time, I'd be wearing a suit and be 10 minutes early for the meeting.
I didn't suggest dressing for the field. Read what I wrote. I think a suit/tie is overdoing it, but that's me.

imschatz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
I didn't suggest dressing for the field. Read what I wrote.

I think a suit/tie is overdoing it, but that's me.

Showing up in your finest clothes, and most extravagent accessories is probably over doing it for almost any position.

Nice conservative suit and tie, with a forgetable watch/belt/shoe would be appropriate for any interview in an office.

swaggerisaliability

Reaction score
Dress pants and blazer for sure if you don't own a suit. I would never wear jeans to an intervew. White/light blue dress shirt and a tie with a toned-down color as well to keep it conservative.

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by swaggerisaliability
Dress pants and blazer for sure if you don't own a suit. I would never wear jeans to an intervew. White/light blue dress shirt and a tie with a toned-down color as well to keep it conservative.

or if your thinking its more casual an enviroment, I would do the above but sans tie. the trick is to dress one level above where you would be working. The thought is for them to be seeing you as if you already worked there, but a little nicer. For example, my current job is very very casual (I am in shorts and flip flops right now), but I went to the interview in a nice buttondown and black trousers. No tie, no jacket, etc... I knew how casual they were and even asked before the in person interview what the office dress code was like. I promise thats the most dressed someone has even been in here. But if I showed up in a suit, they would have looked at me and wondered if I would fit in here. If I was too 'square'

Pantisocrat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imschatz
Showing up in your finest clothes, and most extravagent accessories is probably over doing it for almost any position. Nice conservative suit and tie, with a forgetable watch/belt/shoe would be appropriate for any interview in an office.
is being "forgettable" a good thing? On my first job out of school, I came to an interview with double breasted coat (no suit jacket), slacks, white shirt, and conservative white snowflake over oxblood solid tie, and the interviewer said I looked like his "boss". I was hired for being unforgettable.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking like a "boss" isn't being unforgettable, its being commanding with your presence. I would rather be remembered as "that guy who knew what he was talking about" than "the guy with the Omega watch" any day of the week.

Pantisocrat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Blackhood
Looking like a "boss" isn't being unforgettable, its being commanding with your presence. I would rather be remembered as "that guy who knew what he was talking about" than "the guy with the Omega watch" any day of the week.
When I left the interview, I thought I overdressed, which I probably did but never regretted it. It was cold as hell in Chicago. To the OP, don't go with denim, at least put on slacks and a tie, suit jacket or blazer is optional. An alternative, less dressy, combo I've worn in the past: 1. Brown dress shoes 2. White shirt, red tie 3. Brooks Brothers merino wool V neck sweater, so the full Windsor knot is conspicuous

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
- A vinyl thong
- A trenchcoat
- A knowing smile that seems to say "I'll suck ********* for $20."
- A hand-written sign that says "I'll suck ********* for $20."

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads