• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Job Interview: Rolex, Patek or cell phone?

Bic Pentameter

Reaction score
I will be seeing some people Wednesday afternoon for a "maybe I could work for you full time" kind of meeting, which will be followed by dinner later in the evening. I don't necessarily need the job, but if they like me and I like them, and their number and my number overlap, then I probably will go to work for them. (Unfortunately, I suspect that their number will probably be much lower than mine.)

I have two watches. One is Rolex Datejust. It is similar to this one. The gold and silver watch and bracelet pretty much mark it as a Rolex, although not as a flashy one.

The second is a Patek, which some folks could dismiss as a relatively understated gold watch, but folks who pay attention to watches might see it as something more than the average timepiece. Because we will start talks in the afternoon and have dinner sometime later, I do expect that I will be glacing at the time occasionally during the day.

Any thoughts on which of these, if either would be best? I could go watchless and use my cellphone.

Bic

SuitMyself

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bic Pentameter
I

will be seeing some people Wednesday afternoon for a "maybe I could work for you full time" kind of meeting, which will be followed by dinner later in the evening. I don't necessarily need the job, but if they like me and I like them, and their number and my number overlap, then I probably will go to work for them. (Unfortunately, I suspect that their number will probably be much lower than mine.)

I think you're a douche.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How old are you? If you are 40ish or older, wear whatever watch you want. If you look young, don't wear a gaudy watch

usnawolfe

Reaction score
You'll be fine with any of the above choices. Good luck with your interview.

Bic Pentameter

Reaction score
Thanks very much for your responses thus far. I suppose that these days posts like mine might be mistaken for trolling or boasting. That is a shame. I am 40 years old. This would be for a mid-career executive position -- outside consultant who goes in house. I do see this as a variation on a question commonly discussed here, "Should someone asking for money dress down?"

Thanks again.

Bic

Made in California

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuitMyself
I think you're a douche.
Why? OP sounded entirely reasonable when I read it. BTW I'm against wrist watches but since most people aren't, I'd wear the Patek for sure. Not much chance of looking like a show off, and possible chance of brownie points. Watches tend to look so classy, why go without it.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks very much for your responses thus far. I suppose that these days posts like mine might be mistaken for trolling or boasting. That is a shame. I am 40 years old. This would be for a mid-career executive position -- outside consultant who goes in house. I do see this as a variation on a question commonly discussed here, "Should someone asking for money dress down?" Thanks again. Bic
Go with the watch you feel most comfortable with. I do not know what that is, but since you are looking for a "number" anyway, going with the Patek will probably be better (IMO). It's a classier looking watch -- if they don't recognize that it's a PP, they will still recognize the fact that it's a good looking piece and treat you as such. If they do recognize the PP, then the "number" they throw at you may be bumped up. Either way, no harm done. And depending on the industry and the role, it may even be a plus (at least the way it sounds). Besides, at that age, does it really matter? And I say this as a fellow consultant. I've seen guys 35 and above get away with stuff that guys under 30 can't pull off (even if they are really good at what they do). Good luck!
Originally Posted by SuitMyself
I think you're a douche.
How so? I thought that was a very legitimate and well-phrased question.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'd go with the PP... understated elegance is true ballerz!
smile.gif

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks very much for your responses thus far. I suppose that these days posts like mine might be mistaken for trolling or boasting. That is a shame. I am 40 years old. This would be for a mid-career executive position -- outside consultant who goes in house. I do see this as a variation on a question commonly discussed here, "Should someone asking for money dress down?"

Thanks again.

Bic

I do not know the price of these watches, but unless they are really extremely costly, I cannot think that someone would refuse a 40 year old guy a position because he happens to own a nice watch. I agree that when you see a very young guy wearing this kind of thing, you may end up thinking that he may be the spoiled son of someone, used to receive lots of money and maybe less used to hard work.-

jdldore

Reaction score
Since it will be on your wrist, I think the people you are meeting with will notice either. I do not think there is a substantial difference in statement between the Patek and the Rolex (deferring to people who know substantially more about watches than I do as to the difference in quality). Both tell the folks with whom you are meeting that you have had some financial success, which I take to be part of the message you seek to convey. If I had to choose, I would probably select the more understated one for this meeting, but both will fit the bill.

Captain Winky

Reaction score
I don't think it matters one iota in your situation, wear whichever one you like better. I'd probably give a slight nod to the PP, since only those who know watches will know what it is. However, if someone were to make a crack about your "gold watch" it's much easier to brush off than a crack about your "Rolex," as you can always claim it came from the watch counter at Macy's.

bing

Reaction score
voted Patek.

If they notice and know what it is then their number wont be that low
smile.gif

Rolex is too easy and if they know watches they'll know that the datejust is a beginner's rolex.

retozimmermann

Reaction score
To be honest, I'd probably tone it down a bit with the watch in that kind of situation. But if those two are the choices, then definitely Patek. Chances of the Rolex being interpreted as boasty, flashy or even cheap are much too big if you ask me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics