• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Job Interview Question regarding hand shake

katiedaddy

Reaction score
I have a job interview next week and from past experience I know I am pretty bad at it since I am still stuck at my current job for 4 yrs now. I recently talked to my buddy who's been job-hopping for years and after telling him about how I received no job offer from 5 interviews I had in the recent past, he told me it's probably because I started the interview with terrible impression; firm hand shake. According to him, firm hand shake generally means that I am trying to give the interviewer the impression that I am better. So what is the common rule of hand shake in a job interview? Casual or Power hand shake?

BC2012

Reaction score
Give a normal handshake? Single pump, medium firmness. Make sure you go palm to palm. No palm to fingers, dead fish bullshit. And, dear god, make sure your hand isn't a sweaty mess.

Jerry Seinfeld says: "Too long, too weak, sometimes they give you the three-quarter handshake just the fingers, early release, late release, sometimes people will dispute your release, you let go there're hangin' on. I have actually said to people 'Hey the handshake is over!.' Too many pumps, coming in too high, too sweaty, coming from too far away. Sometimes a guy will give you a strong grip, late release, and pull you in for the too close conversation. To him I say 'That's three strikes you're out.'"

On the other hand, I sincerely doubt the handshake is what has done you in. Even if you gave the crusher handshake, if you did well in the interview it'd be overlooked.

thonez

Reaction score
Im missing two fingers on my right hand, so the first hand shake is always interesting

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your job qualifications and experience are all that matter. Unless of course you are interviewing for a job shaking hands.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
If your interviewer doesn't pull back a bloody and mangled stump, your handshake wasn't firm enough.

RedScarf7

Reaction score
I'd say skip the handshake and go right in for the hug. You'll get the job fo sho!

zeezee

Reaction score
iv all ways been told dont trust a man with a weak hand shake

it shows weakness

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There's nothing most people hate more than a limp or crushing handshake. Both are obnoxious. And both can and will cost you opportunities.

tehbry

Reaction score
I'd rather go too hard than too soft.

joneog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by katiedaddy
I have a job interview next week and from past experience I know I am pretty bad at it since I am still stuck at my current job for 4 yrs now. I recently talked to my buddy who's been job-hopping for years and after telling him about how I received no job offer from 5 interviews I had in the recent past, he told me it's probably because I started the interview with terrible impression; firm hand shake. According to him, firm hand shake generally means that I am trying to give the interviewer the impression that I am better. So what is the common rule of hand shake in a job interview? Casual or Power hand shake?

Don't over-think it. The handshake is probably not the reason you're not getting jobs. Just do what feels natural and avoid crushing his/her hand.

eglbc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thonez
Im missing two fingers on my right hand, so the first hand shake is always interesting

quoted for excellence
worship.gif

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BC2012
Give a normal handshake? Single pump, medium firmness. Make sure you go palm to palm. No palm to fingers, dead fish bullshit. And, dear god, make sure your hand isn't a sweaty mess.

Jerry Seinfeld says: "Too long, too weak, sometimes they give you the three-quarter handshake just the fingers, early release, late release, sometimes people will dispute your release, you let go there're hangin' on. I have actually said to people 'Hey the handshake is over!.' Too many pumps, coming in too high, too sweaty, coming from too far away. Sometimes a guy will give you a strong grip, late release, and pull you in for the too close conversation. To him I say 'That's three strikes you're out.'"

On the other hand, I sincerely doubt the handshake is what has done you in. Even if you gave the crusher handshake, if you did well in the interview it'd be overlooked.

If you are taking advice from Seinfeld, you should go directly for the intercourse hello.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads