1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

JM Weston Opinions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by tennisguru, Jun 15, 2011.

1. tennisguru

tennisguru Senior member

On a recent wander around Mayfair I found myself in the JM Weston Boutique on Vigo Street and fell in love with a pair of Oxfords in Bordeaux Vocalou leather (an antique burgandy colour).

Does anybody have any experience with JM Weston shoes, construction, wear rate etc etc. The only threads I can find are from at least 4 years ago?

Cheers

Ash

2. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Senior member

Hi, I wear JM Westons.

IMHO, the leather is superior to those used by C&J and EG - ofcourse, this is highly subjective.

Their box calf is so supple and look extremely refined.

Their leather soles are extremely hard at the beginning, but they wear-in very nicely.

Will be my choice for many years to come.

3. rsuhandy

rsuhandy Senior member

I love westons though I've recently had a problem with micro cracking on the burgandy box calf
    leather the OP mentioned. Great shoes, and IMHO at the same level construction-wise as JL.

4. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

On a recent wander around Mayfair I found myself in the JM Weston Boutique on Vigo Street and fell in love with a pair of Oxfords in Bordeaux Vocalou leather (an antique burgandy colour).

Does anybody have any experience with JM Weston shoes, construction, wear rate etc etc. The only threads I can find are from at least 4 years ago?

Cheers

Ash

I used in my early twenties to only wear Westons...

They were great quality...

My last pair was 10 years ago and I have sold them to a friend...

He is very happy with them.

5. RSS

RSS Senior member

Most of my casual loafers are Weston. I'm very happey with the current production.

6. tennisguru

tennisguru Senior member

Thank you guys, much appreciated.

When I go up for my next suit fitting, i'll have to take a few extra notes I think!

Cheers

7. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Thank you guys, much appreciated.

When I go up for my next suit fitting, i'll have to take a few extra notes I think!

Cheers

The shop in London is very nice and the girls there are very friendly...

8. tennisguru

tennisguru Senior member

yeah, I found that Lasbar, they couldn't have been more helpful or apologetic when they didn't have the style I liked in the leather finish I wanted, they the style in a different finish, or the right finish on a different style. They are ordering the correct pair in for me for when I next go up. There was a young, French sales assistant I was particularly taken with! [​IMG] Cheers

9. Nick V.

Nick V. Senior member Dubiously Honored

We work on lot's of Westons.
    I would consider them among the best of the high-grades in terms of materials, construction, detail and, workmanship.
    They are the only maker that I'm aware of that has their own tannery manufacturing their own soles. From start to finish it takes approximately one year to produce their soles. In fact, they make the soles for one of their top competitors.
    Weston is so particular about the products they use they actually make their own thread for their Norwegian welted shoes.
    That's just an example of how committed they are to maintaining total control over the quality of their materials and products.

10. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

yeah, I found that Lasbar, they couldn't have been more helpful or apologetic when they didn't have the style I liked in the leather finish I wanted, they the style in a different finish, or the right finish on a different style. They are ordering the correct pair in for me for when I next go up.

There was a young, French sales assistant I was particularly taken with! [​IMG]

Cheers

The dark hair one...[​IMG]

11. guest

guest Senior member

dammit i have to go to weston in london. the weston in hk has some old chinese lady always on the phone.

12. nutcracker

nutcracker Senior member Dubiously Honored

dammit i have to go to weston in london. the weston in hk has some old chinese lady always on the phone.

I thought the Weston boutique at the IFC mall closed a while ago, did they reopen or move?

13. audiophilia

audiophilia Senior member

Cheers

Ash

Amazing shoes. Better than my Testoni, Santoni, and streets ahead of my AE. Unless you're going Lobb or bespoke like G&G, buy with confidence. The leather/tanning is exquisite.

14. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Old and always on the phone?

Not a good mix...

15. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

May I ask whether JM Weston's price are higher than C&J? Also where is this shop in Vigo Street? next to which shop?

1 person likes this.
  16. tennisguru

tennisguru Senior member

^^^Prices are around C&J maybe more in general, the pair I fell for were £545.

If you walk through Burlington Arcade from Picadilly (past C&J!) JM Weston is almost directly opposite the exit, next to Cecconis.

Will be back in the smoke in August (staying at 41 this time) so I feel a purchase coming on!

Cheers all for you input.

17. jamaican

jamaican Senior member

I think the JMW boutique is actually on Burlington Gardens, not Vigo St itself. The boutique is almost opposite one of the entrances to Burlington Arcade, near Savile Row, also near Abercrombie & Fitch... sorry to mention such a name amongst such esteemed company.

I have a few pairs of JMWs (boots and shoes). I find them to be excellent. Apparently (according to a former manager there) they get their box calf from the same tannery as JL... not saying it's the same grade or that the shoes are as good as the JL Prestige range etc. I saw an article on one of the shoe threads translating a Japanese magazine that put the JMW construction quality above that of G&G (MTO/RTW). I have G&G and they look totally different... for me, only time will tell which are better. I do find them to be better looking, seem better made than my C&J Handgrades. Also the waist of the JMWs is pretty tight which makes for a lovely shape.... not to speak of the width options at JMW which do not seem to be available at C&J. I think for that price they are very hard to beat. There seems to be a lot of handwork in them, at least more than C&J Handgrades as far as I can see.

I was blessed enough to secure some double monk boots in 2007 at half price and they wear like a dream. Also forked out a load for some chocolate exquisite Chelsea boots with a balmorals line which sounds disgusting... but they just work. http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...&postcount=313 JMW do the English thing with a French flair that is not over the top... it is just right. J

18. grigri75

grigri75 Member

I wear weston since many years and always remained faithfull to them , even after trying the respected CJ, Vass or Edward Green.
    As Nick V underlines it, they are one of the few shoemakers owing the global manufacturing process from tannery to retail.
    Anyone interested can check this Weston classicals i decided to break up with :

19. grigri75

grigri75 Member

I wear weston since many years and always remained faithfull to them , even after trying the respected CJ, Vass or Edward Green.
    As Nick V underlines it, they are one of the few shoemakers owing the global manufacturing process from tannery to retail.
    Anyone interested can check this Weston classicals i decided to break up with :
    http://www.styleforum.net/forum/thread/258940/jm-weston-cognac-calf