• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JM Weston forces a factory in China to close (producing fakes!)

Knowledge is King

Reaction score
Source of article is here but I dont' have access: http://www.stylus.com/en/Login/?Retu...2fJM-Weston%2f

I got the body of the article from a Google cache though:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...www.google.com

J.M. Weston Forces Factory Closure

French shoe maker J.M. Weston has scored a landmark breakthrough in the battle against counterfeiters, both for itself and for the French luxury industry.

The company, backed by Chinese authorities, has forced the closure of a factory that was making counterfeit J.M. Weston shoes.

Located in Guangdong province, the factory was producing 300 pairs of fake Weston shoes a week. Stock of 3,700 pairs was seized. The counterfeits were described as convincing because the factory had obtained a mould which allowed them to engrave the J.M. Weston brand inside the shoes.

"It's very rare to obtain the closure of a factory because identifying the location is often impossible. This requires investment both in time and money," said Jean-Luc Espla, who oversees counterfeit campaigns at EPI, the holding company of the Descours family, owner of Weston.

EPI was alerted back in November 2010 and informed Chinese authorities, which led the investigation.

French manufacturers' trade union, L'Union des fabricants (Unifab), welcomed the news. "This shows the willingess of China to cooperate in this battle and end this illegal trade," said Christian Peugeot, president.

Following the factory closure, legal action is also being taken against the counterfeiters.

Omega Man

Reaction score
Let's do Lobb and Edward Greens
devil.gif
I know about Uggs/Crocs, why pick JM Westons to make fakes?

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They probably were making the real ones and lost a contract, but decided to keep making them anyway.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That would explain how they found the factory... probably a detail left out because Weston did not want to admit that parts of their shoes may be made in China.

Still, I would assume it's only the liner. Weston tans their own hides... so I'm sure there was some different leather being used...

andreyb2

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
Still, I would assume it's only the liner. Weston tans their own hides... so I'm sure there was some different leather being used...

AFAIK, Weston use their own leathers only for soles. So, in case of rubber-soled shoes...

Andrey

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If they're not up to a certain standard, there's no risk of getting ripped off. If they are making cheap goodyear welted shoes from decent leather though, there's not much point in even ripping off the name.

I'd say the chances are they're gonna be some sorta ugly as sin fake leather that only a fool would confuse for a quality shoe. Then again, I don't know JM Weston.. that might be their MO.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master Squirrel
They probably were making the real ones and lost a contract, but decided to keep making them anyway.

That wouldn't surprise me in the least.

I suspect what happens with some designer items, is that genuine products go out the front door of the Chinese factories and knock-offs go out the back door.

I do know there has been some success in shutting down the counterfeiters in Guangdong Province, however there are so many other provinces where no action is taken whatsoever. Production of the fakes will probably just get moved to Inner Mongolia or some other out of the way place.

Poindexter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master Squirrel

I gonna nominate you curmudgeon in chief, you know dat?

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well done...

Nothing against the Chinese but counterfeiting is my pet hate...

Do your own product under your own brand and good luck to you wherever you're but I hate people fooling people around...

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MikeDT
I suspect what happens with some designer items, is that genuine products go out the front door of the Chinese factories and knock-offs go out the back door.

Bingo. This is precisely what happens with a lot of tech products, like iPods and such. Would not surprise me in the least if it was happening with clothing.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
Bingo. This is precisely what happens with a lot of tech products, like iPods and such. Would not surprise me in the least if it was happening with clothing.

Transfert of technology is not always at loss for the receiving end...

The same is happening for military equipment when they're sold to other countries...

Ebson

Reaction score
Hi ,Everybody
My name is Ebson
I am live in China

We are The factory named Xiamen Xiangxi Garments
We can produce all kinds of shirt polo shirt school shirt ,kid's wear etc

We have our ownfactory so that we can supply products with good quality and on time delivery

Our Web www.xiangxi123.com.cn

My contact mail : [email protected]
My MSN:[email protected]

If you have any question please contact me in any time !!!

Ebson

Reaction score
Hi ,Everybody
My name is Ebson
I am live in China

We are The factory named Xiamen Xiangxi Garments
We can produce all kinds of shirt polo shirt school shirt ,kid's wear etc

We have our ownfactory so that we can supply products with good quality and on time delivery

Our Web www.xiangxi123.com.cn

My contact mail : [email protected]
My MSN:[email protected]

If you have any question please contact me in any time !!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics