• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JM Weston appreciation thread

lucci

Reaction score
I have not seen any and think that it would be great to give justice to JM Weston. For way over than a century, the French brand has been a staple among the greatest bootmakers of the world. So, this is the thread for aficionados, people who want to know more about JMW or want to show their experiences and a LOT of shoe Appreciation. So let's kick it !!!

TOstyle

Reaction score
Bout time there was one of these! Don't have any JM's myself, but have coveted for years.

dahl5yankees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My 677 Chasse Derbys

According to JM Weston in NYC, these are made by one shoe maker in
their factory and take a year to make. Current retail on a new pair is $2250

Last edited:

Anm1984

Reaction score
I rarely wear loafers and only have a few pairs but this is one of them. I'll post my Chelsea boots from them later.

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My 677 Chasse Derbys

According to JM Weston in NYC, these are made by one shoe maker in
their factory and take a year to make. Current retail on a new pair is $2250

i very much like jm WESTON, but I find it hard to believe it takes 1 year to make that shoe.

lucci

Reaction score
It happened to me twice to want to buy it and find that the model was sold out and I had to wait almost 8 months to get it. The last time was 4 years ago. The leather used for it goes through a lot of different vegetal treatments and has to sit a long time on the last to get the proper shape. I had one pair of Chasse that I kept for twenty years and are still in excellent shape.

dahl5yankees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just repeating what I was told by NYC store.

What I liked was the sale man got very excited to talk
about this model (#677 Chasse) when I brought it up.

Russian Calf leather, Norwegian welting…it's pretty awesome
but probably not for everyone.

Sizing is always a question with this brand. I wear a typical
9D US and have worn 8, 8.5 and even 9.5D in JMW

These have a cushion that was added to the tongue, so likely
fit a half to full size more in US

Anm1984

Reaction score
It's nice you posted this. I don't own Alden and never have, but do own EG, and G&G and find that Weston uses better insole and outsole leather by miles partially because they own the tannery and because they can use thicker insoles due to the lack of ribbing. I also think the upper leather is nicer as well, all in all I find them to be better made.

To be fair I believe they also do Blake and Goodyear in some shoes in which case I wonder if they have to use a thinner insole negating any advantage aside from the outsoles which are ways the same and amazingly durable.

Last edited:

dahl5yankees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
JM Weston is defintely underrated, but I own a pair of EG Galway boots
and I don't think JMW can hold a candle to em! (in the boot dept.)

Last edited:

Anm1984

Reaction score
I agree, Weston's biggest issue to me is the lack of interesting models and their ridiculous MTO fee.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads