• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JM Weston appreciation thread

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In my short experience so far these 180 loafers have wrecked my feet if I am to be honest. Size 7 / C.

Paused and now trying them again.

What has been people's experience?

Just been wearing around at home to break them in but I am sort of leaning towards taking an 'L' on these.

Also, came to the conclusion that the additional rubber sole makes these shoes completely unbreathable. I guess there are tradeoffs.

Louis_HK

Reaction score
How do you like these? I've always thought they were a handsome shoe.
I only tried them on inside the house just walked around a few times,
tried them with moderate thickness of socks on, felt ok, not too stiff.
But like other Weston shoes, the size are weird, 7D is about half size bigger
Than a UK7, even though the size guide suggest the same. From Japanese
jmweston.jp the size indicated in cm was 26.5 which is accurate,
I usually wear a 26cm japanese size.
If you measure your feet correctly, the size guide from the web page
eu.jmweston.com is pretty accurate as well.
The color is true to photo, craftsmanship is perfect, better than some
of the 180's, someone said once, there's only a few people in the factory
know how to build a Demi/Chasse. Like the @shoes_r_aus says, every model
from 24S.com is having 20% off, Demis are never on sale even from the official
website. 24S' price is the same as Nordstrom US$1245.
Stylewise I think they are pretty versatile, great with jeans and formal trousers.
I don't like black shoes, these are closest to the black I ever got:cool:

Reactions: Gus

shoes_r_aus

Reaction score
I only tried them on inside the house just walked around a few times,
tried them with moderate thickness of socks on, felt ok, not too stiff.
But like other Weston shoes, the size are weird, 7D is about half size bigger
Than a UK7, even though the size guide suggest the same. From Japanese
jmweston.jp the size indicated in cm was 26.5 which is accurate,
I usually wear a 26cm japanese size.
If you measure your feet correctly, the size guide from the web page
eu.jmweston.com is pretty accurate as well.
The color is true to photo, craftsmanship is perfect, better than some
of the 180's, someone said once, there's only a few people in the factory
know how to build a Demi/Chasse. Like the @shoes_r_aus says, every model
from 24S.com is having 20% off, Demis are never on sale even from the official
website. 24S' price is the same as Nordstrom US$1245.
Stylewise I think they are pretty versatile, great with jeans and formal trousers.
I don't like black shoes, these are closest to the black I ever got:cool:
The weston sizes were so weird...i actually measured my foot on jm weston official website and got told an 8E...but since 24s only has 8D I decided to take the risk since it was so value at 20% off...(also my foot width is actually only 2mm away from being a D width nd I do like a tighter fit). Thanks for confirming 8D on 24s means 8D in JM Weston size. I now wonder if the width being slightly off will be problematic. I prefer a snug fit in loafers because I know they will inevitably stretch and my standard UK sizing for lace up shoes is 9.5 in Crockett and jones, carmina rain etc. Is my sizing consistent with what you are finding? @Louis_HK

Louis_HK

Reaction score
The weston sizes were so weird...i actually measured my foot on jm weston official website and got told an 8E...but since 24s only has 8D I decided to take the risk since it was so value at 20% off...(also my foot width is actually only 2mm away from being a D width nd I do like a tighter fit). Thanks for confirming 8D on 24s means 8D in JM Weston size. I now wonder if the width being slightly off will be problematic. I prefer a snug fit in loafers because I know they will inevitably stretch and my standard UK sizing for lace up shoes is 9.5 in Crockett and jones, carmina rain etc. Is my sizing consistent with what you are finding? @Louis_HK
My suggestion from JM Weston was 5/E, but my experience from previous purchases of 180, the width would stretch a little depending on the type of leather and the sole, I find 6D is pretty close to the right size(not perfect, don’t think perfection exists in non Measure to order shoes). My Uk size is 7G (wide) Church’s brand, 8D might be a little short for you, but never know if you didn’t try them on. Probably 8/D for you might fit better?

shoes_r_aus

Reaction score
My suggestion from JM Weston was 5/E, but my experience from previous purchases of 180, the width would stretch a little depending on the type of leather and the sole, I find 6D is pretty close to the right size(not perfect, don’t think perfection exists in non Measure to order shoes). My Uk size is 7G (wide) Church’s brand, 8D might be a little short for you, but never know if you didn’t try them on. Probably 8/D for you might fit better?
Thanks for your insight. Yes I absolutely agree that with non MTM shoes sizing can be a circus! Unfortunately I am not quite at a level where bespoke is a genuine consideration hahaha. I will try on the 8Ds when they arrive and switch out for 8/D if they don't fit :)

fwedo

Reaction score
Measures on JM Weston website are based on the same tool they use in store. To me, it works well. Suggestion was a 8,5D. But, with the width system, it's possible to fit different size in length.

For example, I can wear a 9C and a 8,5D in 180. Both are equally confortable. I am not even sure to feel the difference when I wear them now...and yet, difference was clearly noticeable just after purchases.

With golf, I wear a 8,5D, and it's THE perfect size but with demi chasse, I fit a 9D and it's quite snug...I also fit a 9D with the Mile and it's perfect...last, Goodyear/blake and single, double leather or rubber outsole have a big influence on the feeling.

if you are not lucky enough to try, it can be really really tricky to find the good size. Because, even in store, choosing the right one is quite complicated. Sellers always insist on the length : they said shoes can (and will, according to my experience) always stretch in width, but never in length.

Louis_HK

Reaction score
I usually got the right size by first checking it through the Weston website. But circumstances sometimes make it difficult to stick to that suggestion. Like last time when I ordered a pair of Golf from Mr Porter, 6/D was sold out and only 6D left, web suggested 6E and it was right again, Golf 6D was a bit too tight, but I stretched them a little with a bigger size shoe tree for a while before wearing them.

ThatGuy

Reaction score
I usually got the right size by first checking it through the Weston website. But circumstances sometimes make it difficult to stick to that suggestion. Like last time when I ordered a pair of Golf from Mr Porter, 6/D was sold out and only 6D left, web suggested 6E and it was right again, Golf 6D was a bit too tight, but I stretched them a little with a bigger size shoe tree for a while before wearing them.
Have you ever went the other way and got the same length, but different width? If so, how different was the fit between D and E?

Louis_HK

Reaction score
Have you ever went the other way and got the same length, but different width? If so, how different was the fit between D and E?
Not yet, still lacking an opportunity for an in store fitting, don’t want to risk buying and returning from Galeries Lafayette(Even though tax free,but shipping is steep at €60 and no free return) All the other options offered only D width.

kylepw

Reaction score
US-based here. I'm an US 8D in most shoes and 6/D in 180. Made the rookie mistake of ordering a 6/D in the Chelsea boot, and it "fit" but my pinky toe was riding up the side. I feel like 7D might work, but mirroring what @Zapasman said about sizing, J.M. customer service recommended a 7/D in Chelsea based on my 6/D 180 size, so trying that for an exchange. We shall see.

shoes_r_aus

Reaction score
I was recommended 8E by Weston website but bought an 8D since only D is offered on 24s.com. I'm normally a UK 9.5 standard.

It was tight at first, but I took a pair of my C&j shoe trees and stretched the loafers out. Now, they fit perfect when I'm wearing no show socks

bullethead

Reaction score
was on their website and noticed the 180 in alligator increased from 3790 to 4550- in case anyone is interested. Regarding my dilemma- us customs destroyed mine. Weston made me another pair which are ready. Hopefully, my friend can pick them up when she’s there in June

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
was on their website and noticed the 180 in alligator increased from 3790 to 4550- in case anyone is interested. Regarding my dilemma- us customs destroyed mine. Weston made me another pair which are ready. Hopefully, my friend can pick them up when she’s there in June
That is amazing service and good to hear with regards to Weston remaking for you.

Louis_HK

Reaction score
Wonder what colour did you choose? Did they email you with the colour samples?
I should have ordered the gator one last year when Euro was so low, now with the inflation
and the Euro going up, seems it's gonna be too much.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads