• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JM Weston appreciation thread

MrCat

Reaction score
Was just there though I didn’t inquire on the vintage. My size dictates there is rarely anything for me. Just took delivery of the nut brown lizard, should be receiving the white calfskin this week. Because of the exchange rate, I’m seriously contemplating the alligator. As someone just mentioned-it’s now or never
just picked up a pair in white calf. The white is very nice, not an optic white like the white Le Moc.

laureth

Reaction score
Wish I could😭😭😭
Going over next month and grabbing a pair of demi-chasses or 180s for me and my friend! I bought a pair of bordeaux 180s (not from the vintage stock!) last year and it's probably the best purchase I've done when it comes to shoes. They look good with anything!

Louis_HK

Reaction score
Going over next month and grabbing a pair of demi-chasses or 180s for me and my friend! I bought a pair of bordeaux 180s (not from the vintage stock!) last year and it's probably the best purchase I've done when it comes to shoes. They look good with anything!
Even I can't go, due to Hong Kong's Fxxking stupid quarantine policy, I still managed to acquired quite a few pairs of 180 in various colours and leather:rotflmao:

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't owned black loafers in 20+ years but I'm ready to get a pair of 180's in black calf once Mr Porter replenishes their inventory.

Louis_HK

Reaction score
I haven't owned black loafers in 20+ years but I'm ready to get a pair of 180's in black calf once Mr Porter replenishes their inventory.
If you gonna do some traveling in Europe, you can always get them over there, it's so much cheaper. 695Euro minu about 15%vat.

Reactions: Gus

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you gonna do some traveling in Europe, you can always get them over there, it's so much cheaper. 695Euro minu about 15%vat.

We already did the EU in June. Took advantage of the strong dollar and VAT refund. Had to buy an additional suitcase (FPM) to get it all back. I didn't come across Weston in Rome or Milan but made up for it with other goodies!

Louis_HK

Reaction score
Did Gal Lafayette minus VAT when shipping overseas?
If shipping outside of EU, 16.xx% of vat will be deducted from the price.
There's a different rate for shipping to the UK?
But beware of your country's import duties, it might be quite horrendous.
If you are thinking about ordering exotic leather, expect there will be a huge delay.
It's French's summer holiday everywhere, they need to obtain CITES permit to
export exotic leather outside of EU. Also, the shipping rate for shipping exotic leather
is astronomical. It costed me 310Euro to ship a pair of lizard leather 180 together
with a few things. The reason for the high cost of shipping is they use Ferrari logistic
which usually handles expensive jewelery/watches.

Acies

Reaction score
First of all: Hello! First post, although I've joined in 2012.

I have a question regarding the Weston 180 loafer, fit and break in period.

After trying an 8/D (fit like a bath tub) and an 8 D (OKish, but short), I ended up with an 8/C (usually I'm between 8.5 and 9UK) and they seemed to fit perfectly out of the box – but …

Length is fine, width and room in the toe box, instep all fine, but the heel is really strange.
Initially, the heel was a bit stiff, but very little heel slip. It softens with every wear and gets wider and wider. Still very little slip, but very loose.
Compared to every other shoe I own – even Trickers country shoes – the waist is really wide and the heel stiffeners are thick, but rather shapeless.
Can anyone please share their long term experience: will this finally settle, once the sole becomes more flexibel and the stiffener molds to my heel? Or is it just the way they fit?
All the other loafers I wear are unlined and have no stiffeners at all. So in this category I have no real comparison. They do fit better at the heel though.

Louis_HK

Reaction score
When you say 8D being short, does that mean that no more room at the heel?
Your feet is lean/narrow/wide/normal?
This strange little pair of loafers are quite different from all other loafers you encountered.
The Japanese sales person encourages their customers to choose the tightest fit they could
put their feet in and use several months to mould their feet to the shoes. Because when they didn't fit
tight the shoes might become too big when they are properly stretched.
For me I chose the comfortable fit way, and I knew I will get heel slip in the future but I just cannot
go through several months of pain. I can fit a little finger with my 6D and because I don't have an
actual store to try them on, This fit is pretty much all I can get.
Also, do you use a proper shoe tree and leave them to rest for a few days?
8/C is almost UK 91/2, might it be too big?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics