• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JM Weston appreciation thread

MrCat

Reaction score
OK, your opinion merely demonstrates again: de gustibus . . . But honestly, if you're looking for the opposite of geriatric, the Piccadilly doesn't quite exude youthfulness. Penny loafers are kind of stodgy; that's part of the fun.

I, for one, am young enough not to care about people thinking my shoes are "geriatric." Although I don't yet own a pair, I'm pretty smitten with the 180s (bordeaux, svp) and am looking forward to picking up a pair once i can get back to the EU. Beside the craftsmanship and rather unique vertically integrated production, the proportions are simple and pleasant.

sldsd

Reaction score
What's the rule for sizing the 180? I'm an 8.5US/7.5UK. Does the usual half size down rule apply for JM Weston as well?

If my memory serves me right they have many width option (from A to F), it's much more better if you can try them in person. Mr Porter only have D width.

Edmund K

Reaction score
Triple semelle 590 & Chasse 677

200421125741108194.jpg

Cetrio: How much did you pay to get your Hunt-Derby resoled back in the weston factory? I asked a few years ago and it is like $475 for the 590.

Edmund K

Reaction score
from a website: https://sobarnes.com/en/all-destinations/j-m-weston-soul-and-sole/

J.M. Weston, soul and sole
For nearly 130 years, the city of Limoges in France has been home to talented artisanal bootmaker J.M. Weston. Let us visit the luxury brand’s unique workshop and ancestral tannery. Here, time is very much of the essence.
#StayHome with SoBarnes

‘Weston Vintage’, a new trend in French Luxury
MARCHING FORTH WITH SAVOIR-FAIRE
Bastin & Fils tannery, located in Saint-Léonard-de-Noblat near Limoges, has been owned by J.M. Weston since 1981. The institution is brimming with historical authenticity, nested in the luscious local valleys where cows and sheep roam. We travel back in time to discover one of the main strengths of a Weston shoe: its cow leather sole, crafted using an ancestral method. It takes an entire year to turn the company’s Austrian and German-sourced leather into an exceptional sole. One of the many crucial and impressive stages in the process is soaking: animal hides are placed in basins full of vegetable tannins, before being left in outdoor pits and covered with oak bark. At Bastin tannery, patience is key: in addition to using 100% plantbased tannins, the company’s extra slow tanning process ensures uncompromising quality. “Each phase takes time, there’s no way around it,” explains Jean-Claude, who has worked on site for the last forty years. “Other than a few handling-related updates, the process remains unchanged.”
PAMPERED CREATIONS
The Weston workshop occupies a single story in Limoges, with 170 artisans working away with utmost precision and efficiency: “Each pair of shoes is handled 180 times in the process,” explains Félix, the head of repair services. The journey starts in the “safe”, as foreman Michel likes to call it: a fantastic stockpile of calfskin, used for the shoe’s quarters, lives alongside a superb collection of reptile skins. The hides are cut by hand or machine according to the brand’s signature “quasi-bespoke” standards: 5 to 7 different widths are produced for each shoe size. Weston works with a professional shoe last maker who produces wooden lasts for each model, thus ensuring total comfort as well as aesthetic perfection. In the first workshop, an artisan uses the wooden last to mould a single strip of leather into shape. The brand’s emblematic Cambre boots provide a fine example of Weston’s know-how: “We are the only artisanal bootmakers in the world to use this seamless boot technique. Moulding the leather on a wooden last also helps avoid creases caused by walking… That’s how you know they’re real Westons,” explains Félix. Another crucial step takes place in the second workshop: in order to assemble the quarters and the sole on the frame of the shoe, the leather is stretched out by a manoperated machine. Each shoe then enters a fascinating production line that includes triple stitching, the addition of a wooden shank, a cork filling, pearl-style stitching, milling and sanding-down the soles. For a refined finishing touch, the soles are marked with the brand’s iconic “W”. Before they are popped into their box, a crew of true shoe beauticians make sure that each pair shines just right. One step closer to becoming a lucky person’s timeless footwear.

1611197284771.png

1611197218010.png

1611197312924.png

1611199880599.png

1611199843356.png
1611199875627.png
leather.jpg

Limoges , France - 12 June 2007
J.M. Weston shoe's tannery --- Ezequiel Scagnetti © ---

Last edited:

Voidoid

Reaction score
Anyone know this particular model and how it may fit ?
UdkamLay_TAsMT81NNkF-rs7_Ta6Of8.jpg
fGrXeray0IPh0xKGoy8oSXbZ0IV329I.jpg

carve

Reaction score
Hello everyone i desperately need your help with sizing.
I wanna buy a pairr of Weston Demi chase (598)
I use the following sizes
CJ 341,236 7,5 E UK
Church 103 7,5 UK
Heschung Nation last 7,0
Barrie 8 US
Trickers W2298 8 uk

jimney

Reaction score
I just got a pair of JM Weston 180 Moccassin penny loafers in black calffrom Mr. Porter, and they’re somewhat tight on the vamp with thin socks. Presumably since it is calf I can expect a decent break in (I want to wear slightly thicker socks with them). Does anyone have any experience with how these break in?

cypi2

Reaction score
I just got a pair of JM Weston 180 Moccassin penny loafers in black calffrom Mr. Porter, and they’re somewhat tight on the vamp with thin socks. Presumably since it is calf I can expect a decent break in (I want to wear slightly thicker socks with them). Does anyone have any experience with how these break in?
I have had similar experiences with JM Weston 180s: They are rather tough to break in (almost all JM Weston shoes are to me for that matter). I have a high instep and I have an issue which seems to be similar to that you describe.

But once broken in, they are some of my most comfortable shoes.

I got a pair of 180s only one-half size larger (same width) than my first pair to try to alleviate the rather tough break in period, but I would not recommend it: Once broken in, the larger pair is loose while the first pair, one-half size smaller, fits perfectly and feels very comfortable.

For breaking in JM Weston shoes ( I also have 423 – austerity brogue, 677 – Hunt, 598 – Half Hunt and 590 – Triple Soles), I use vamp stretchers (for 180s, for example) or toe stretchers depending on needs with Sellaris . This product was recommended by Nick V. From B Nelson on another thread and it works really well.

Except for the 590s which felt very comfortable from the very first wear, I put brand new JM Weston shoes on stretchers (vamp or toe as needed) after applying Sellaris for one week during the day, and at night, I wear the shoes at home for 30 minutes to one hour or until the shoes start feeling tight.

After this one week, the shoes are broken in and fit and feel like evening wear slippers even after a whole day’s wear.

Last edited:

manasdirge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend weston 180 loafer size?

Do you take 1 or 1.5 size down from your regular AE/Alden loafer size?

the instep/vamp height of AE patriot/Alden LHS is near perfect for my feet, will the 180 loafer instep be lower or higher?

Would love to try on first but no JMW store nearby.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads