• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JM Weston appreciation thread

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
snapshot_1680793dbcad930b7270a.md.jpg

snapshot_282475249de7eaea778791cac.md.jpg
Love them!. Specs please? TIA

cetrio

Reaction score
Love them!. Specs please? TIA

This is a special order based on the 590 triple sole model.

I chose for upper à leather called "karagrain vert bronze CDU"
For the lining inside the shoes a red leather
Brown soles and laces
And for the heels, no metal

here some pics when they were new :
. with the red lining inside :

Today J.M. Weston 598
snapshot_16807a7b82b3402fcd63d.md.jpg

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
does anybody know how the fukuda / jm weston loafers fit? Are they based on a JM weston model that I can easily try on/ order online?

American_Psycho11

Reaction score
How do the 180s compare to Alden's loafer? You can get Aldens in cordovan for the same(ish) price as the JM Westons. What makes the JM Westons worth more than cordovan Aldens?
I really like both but budgeting money for one of them and I'm torn between which one to get

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a special order based on the 590 triple sole model.

I chose for upper à leather called "karagrain vert bronze CDU"
For the lining inside the shoes a red leather
Brown soles and laces
And for the heels, no metal

here some pics when they were new :
. with the red lining inside :

Today J.M. Weston 598
snapshot_16807a7b82b3402fcd63d.md.jpg

Magnifique!!

andrewsd

Reaction score
Anyone ever resole golf 641? At least the rubber. Want something that resembles the original if possible

cetrio

Reaction score
does anybody know how the fukuda / jm weston loafers fit? Are they based on a JM weston model that I can easily try on/ order online?
Sizing is same as J.M Weston 180 loafer because it's just a minor modification of this model : they are build on the same last.
In UK size, most of people have to downsize1/2 compared to their usual size.

Robko

Reaction score
Hello, I just bought these at a thrift store for 14€, never heard about J.M. Weston before (I'm an English shoe guy). I'd love to hear something about them, there doesn't seem to be much info about the brand and I was unable to find this specific model. The footbed says "MANUFACTURE W. par J.M. WESTON Fabriqué en France" unlike anything I've seen on this thread or anywhere else. I assume they were made by J.M. Weston for somebody else to sell, am I right? They seem to have all the features of J.M. Weston shoes, like a tack hole in the heel, manufacturing code etched rather than printed/written, this weird "somewhat closed" channel (can anybody explain?) and the sizing format on the sole with size on left, width on right side (though the logo is missing). I'd love to hear what you think about them. The last shape seems very similar to Loake's Capital last with the slightly squared toe. Also, can anybody compare them to english shoemakers quality-wise? Thanks
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

florent

Reaction score
Manufacture W was the diffusion line for JM Weston (now discontinued). Quality was variable but this pair looks just fine.
The model reference is "500" and the closed channel is just an mecanised closed channel.

Robko

Reaction score
Manufacture W was the diffusion line for JM Weston (now discontinued). Quality was variable but this pair looks just fine.
The model reference is "500" and the closed channel is just an mecanised closed channel.
Thank you, I didn't realize 500 was the model number, now I got quite a few results, none of them has the Manufacture W label, but they look identical otherwise.

AunToni

Reaction score
That’s not true. Good leather will not be ruined because of rain. These are country shoes and will be perfectly fine after some rain. In fact they will start looking much better than new after some use. Here is a pair of my demi chasse after few years of wearing, I wore them in the rain quite often. I imagine Chasse will age similar if not better.

View attachment 1484332
View attachment 1484336
Depends on how you define ruin and how much water. Leather soaks up water too easily. If you're going to wear them in the rain, treat them properly afterwards. However, it's kind of not a good idea to regularly wear leather soles in the rain, especially if that rain is medium to heavy.

American_Psycho11

Reaction score
What's the rule for sizing the 180? I'm an 8.5US/7.5UK. Does the usual half size down rule apply for JM Weston as well?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads