• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JM Weston appreciation thread

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That’s not true. Good leather will not be ruined because of rain. These are country shoes and will be perfectly fine after some rain. In fact they will start looking much better than new after some use. Here is a pair of my demi chasse after few years of wearing, I wore them in the rain quite often. I imagine Chasse will age similar if not better.

View attachment 1484332
View attachment 1484336
Demi are really stiff shoes and strong built. How much do you pay for a Chasse nowadays?. 2.000€?. I kick the **** out of all my shoes and Demis hold really well in any condition, but for rain you have much better options, much less expensive and with rubber outsoles. Light rain once in a while does not ruin a good pair of leather shoes.

Last edited:

Edmund K

Reaction score
That’s not true. Good leather will not be ruined because of rain. These are country shoes and will be perfectly fine after some rain. In fact they will start looking much better than new after some use. Here is a pair of my demi chasse after few years of wearing, I wore them in the rain quite often. I imagine Chasse will age similar if not better.

View attachment 1484332
View attachment 1484336

Looking good. Is this the brown color or tan? I like how gorgeous the leather develops as it ages.

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bergeronnette or dark tan. Top notch aniline leather that comes from Tannery du Puy . One of the best boxcalf leathers in the market (same for the insoles/outsoles that come from tannery Bastin).

Wild Strawberry Rabbit

Reaction score
Looking good. Is this the brown color or tan? I like how gorgeous the leather develops as it ages.
It’s brown (just „brown boxcalf” on their website) although it’s quite light brown. JM Weston recommends using „light brown” shoe cream for them. I’m using Boot Black medium brown, so maybe they darkened a little over time.

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the same shoe and it seems the same colour but mine is called bergeronette as per JMW. At the time I purchase them, there was only black and bergeronnette colours RTW and burgundy and brown were done under a special order or MTO.

My pair in bergeronnette as per JMW (posted here),
TAN BROWN JMW.GIF

Brown colour as per JMW (not mine and posted here too).
JMW BROWN SHOES.GIF

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep is like you said. Never made to much sense to me to call them 'bergeronnette' instead of light brown or tan or even brown.

cetrio

Reaction score
What do people think of this new loafer

View attachment 1470253

This is a summer shoe. Not really solid even if it's better than car shoes.
The best choice is the "180".

Does anyone own Hunt Derby to report about their fit? What about their leather sole in terms of durability and when it rains?
Thank you

There are 3 hunter derbies :

- Le "chasse" 677, leather is called "Russia" (color "chêne" or black) and it's very resistant : those are real country shoes, built to last.

Here is a recent pic of mine, which are older than me :

snapshot_16807c04ca655f50d694c.md.jpg

and an older pic

200421125741108194.jpg

- Le "demi chasse" 598, with a more classic leather. This is a "dressed" version of the hunter derby. With five holes for laces and double leather sole.

here is an old pic of mine :

200420083020577214.jpg

- Le "demi-chasse" 696, a country version. I think they didn't produce it anymore, excepted on demand. This a a more solid leather (I'm not sûre but I think it's also Russia). 4 holes for laces. And ridgeway rubber soles.

- Yohei Fukuda also did a collaboration with Weston : a 598 with rubber sole

d243708a76e8b371d68cf71f5610465da7dc64ae.jpg

I wonder if anyone could offer a little insight on the JM Weston loafers listed on Mr Porter?

[...]

As for sizing, I've read the article on Die, Workwear, and from what I understand, Mr Porter might be (still?) listing the Weston sizing as UK sizing, meaning that one should be sizing down from what's listed (a whole or a half size).

To make matters more complicated, one of those claim to have UK sizes that should be true to size, the other doesn't mention what sizing they're using, but that one should size down a half size (which I guess makes some sense if they're actually going by the Weston sizing).

So, in your best guess, do you think these two models are actually the same, and - being pretty much a true UK 8½ - my best bet would be to go with the one listed as a UK 8½, or from the other listing, a size 8?

Thanks for any help!

For most of people, downsize 1/2.
I usually were UK8,5
My Weston 180 are UK8.

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since the NYC boutique closed, is there any JM distribution outside of Mr. Porter? Is it possible to email them directly to inquire about purchasing shoes? Just curious as I always regretted not buying a pair when I was in Paris a few years ago.

letsgofire

Reaction score
Since the NYC boutique closed, is there any JM distribution outside of Mr. Porter? Is it possible to email them directly to inquire about purchasing shoes? Just curious as I always regretted not buying a pair when I was in Paris a few years ago.

I live in Chicago and had the same question. I sent an email through the website and they got back to me right away. They are sending me a pair from Paris. I’m playing the price of the shoes plus shipping. Worryingly, duties are mine to pay...so I hope I don’t have to pay them.

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I live in Chicago and had the same question. I sent an email through the website and they got back to me right away. They are sending me a pair from Paris. I’m playing the price of the shoes plus shipping. Worryingly, duties are mine to pay...so I hope I don’t have to pay them.
Ah that’s great to know they’ll do that! Hopefully they billed the price in Euros as it’s still probably a little less than Mr P.

I’ve been quite lucky with packages from the UK and Japan and have never had to pay duties. What’s more worrisome is shipping shoes back in case they don’t fit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads