• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JM Weston appreciation thread

andreasky

Reaction score
Does anyone own Hunt Derby to report about their fit? What about their leather sole in terms of durability and when it rains?
Thank you

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My brother in law owns them and they age beautifully. Great gunboat shoes but I will never wear them in the rain, you will ruin them (uppers and outsoles) . Get a great pair of custom grade Church's in patent leather for those days. Specially with JMW I will try them on first...size is tricky and price really high. I just pulled the trigger with La Cambre, but I know my size as I tried them on in their London store. Weston owns tannerie Bastin which produces one of the best leather outsoles out there.

Last edited:

andreasky

Reaction score
Thank you. Hunt Derby seems a great shoe.
I use Saphir Medaille D'Or Pommadier Natural cream to protect the upper of my calf leather shoes by Tricker's and it works well under rain. I thought the same for Hunt Derby by JM Weston.
It's a pity that Hunt has no rubber sole (at least as RTW). I thought the leather sole could withstand rain after applying some waterproof product (like mink oil).

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Patent leather is the best for the rain, then you have grain leather, but JMW top aniline does not deserve much rain. Keep your mink oil or sno-seal products for some other shoe/boot.

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wanted this La Cambre for almost 3 decades. Time has come and I can not be more happy!! . I am so glad it mounts leather outsoles...Enjoy the pics!.

Attachments

• IMG_20201014_185743.jpg
    IMG_20201014_185743.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_20201014_185813.jpg
    IMG_20201014_185813.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_20201014_190013.jpg
    IMG_20201014_190013.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_20201014_190026.jpg
    IMG_20201014_190026.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_20201014_190048.jpg
    IMG_20201014_190048.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 143

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wanted this La Cambre for almost 3 decades. Time has come and I can not be more happy!! . I am so glad it mounts leather outsoles...Enjoy the pics!.

Those are lovely chelsea boots. Good for you for finally getting them after a 30 year wait!

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are lovely chelsea boots. Good for you for finally getting them after a 30 year wait!
The point is that I was not prepare to wear Chelseas until now. I loved to see them (Chelseas in general and specially La Cambre) in pics, but I thought they were not made for me. Now I have gotten two pairs in one week. I hope to kick them out easily.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder if anyone could offer a little insight on the JM Weston loafers listed on Mr Porter?

Specifically these two:

https://www.mrporter.com/en-gb/mens...80-moccasin-leather-loafers/29012654081993864

https://www.mrporter.com/en-gb/mens...ccasin-leather-penny-loafers/9679066509523414

- do you think they're the same? I can't tell the difference...

As for sizing, I've read the article on Die, Workwear, and from what I understand, Mr Porter might be (still?) listing the Weston sizing as UK sizing, meaning that one should be sizing down from what's listed (a whole or a half size).

To make matters more complicated, one of those claim to have UK sizes that should be true to size, the other doesn't mention what sizing they're using, but that one should size down a half size (which I guess makes some sense if they're actually going by the Weston sizing).

So, in your best guess, do you think these two models are actually the same, and - being pretty much a true UK 8½ - my best bet would be to go with the one listed as a UK 8½, or from the other listing, a size 8?

Thanks for any help!

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I beg for little sizing help. What last is that and how does it fit compared to JL 7000 last and C&J 337 last. Thank you in advance.

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder if anyone could offer a little insight on the JM Weston loafers listed on Mr Porter?

Specifically these two:

https://www.mrporter.com/en-gb/mens...80-moccasin-leather-loafers/29012654081993864

https://www.mrporter.com/en-gb/mens...ccasin-leather-penny-loafers/9679066509523414

As for sizing, I've read the article on Die, Workwear, and from what I understand, Mr Porter might be (still?) listing the Weston sizing as UK sizing, meaning that one should be sizing down from what's listed (a whole or a half size).

To make matters more complicated, one of those claim to have UK sizes that should be true to size, the other doesn't mention what sizing they're using, but that one should size down a half size (which I guess makes some sense if they're actually going by the Weston sizing).

So, in your best guess, do you think these two models are actually the same, and - being pretty much a true UK 8½ - my best bet would be to go with the one listed as a UK 8½, or from the other listing, a size 8?

Thanks for any help!
They seem to be the same to me, but I am with my mobile phone and tired. Contact Mr Porter about models and sizing. I have bought mines in the store and La Cambre, through this site here www.24s (the site of LVMH).

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I beg for little sizing help. What last is that and how does it fit compared to JL 7000 last and C&J 337 last. Thank you in advance.
Hi Laufer, my pleasure. I am always in between sizes: 8.5uk and 9 uk (most of my shoes) . My feet have high instep and a normal/wide~ish ball.
La Cambre (9D) has a different last to 180 loafer and Demichase (9D),the only ones I own.
For your reference :
~JL does not fit me well. I am a 9 E in 7000 last but does not suit me well enough.
~I wear 9 uk in Audley 337 CJ. Good fit.
~I understand you have Carmina. Take same size as Rain. I would say is a bit less relaxing in the ball (more snugh), and more relaxing in the toe area. La Cambre has a mid-high instep.
I wear 8.5 uk in EG 606. Perfect fit. 9F in GG MH 71. 42.5 Vass P2 (42.5in F is to tight). Alden Abeerden 9.5 E US.
I think in this kind of bootie/model, widht D is good enough if you have normal/wide~ish girth in the ball+instep. Should you have further questions, feel free to contact me. Hope this help.

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Laufer, my pleasure. I am always in between sizes: 8.5uk and 9 uk (most of my shoes) . My feet have high instep and a normal/wide~ish ball.
La Cambre (9D) has a different last to 180 loafer and Demichase (9D),the only ones I own.
For your reference :
~JL does not fit me well. I am a 9 E in 7000 last but does not suit me well enough.
~I wear 9 uk in Audley 337 CJ. Good fit.
~I understand you have Carmina. Take same size as Rain. I would say is a bit less relaxing in the ball (more snugh), and more relaxing in the toe area. La Cambre has a mid-high instep.
I wear 8.5 uk in EG 606. Perfect fit. 9F in GG MH 71. 42.5 Vass P2 (42.5in F is to tight). Alden Abeerden 9.5 E US.
I think in this kind of bootie/model, widht D is good enough if you have normal/wide~ish girth in the ball+instep. Should you have further questions, feel free to contact me. Hope this help.
Thank you so much. My best fitting last is C&J 337 so now I have a pretty good idea how JM Weston La Cambre will fit me.

Wild Strawberry Rabbit

Reaction score
My brother in law owns them and they age beautifully. Great gunboat shoes but I will never wear them in the rain, you will ruin them (uppers and outsoles) . Get a great pair of custom grade Church's in patent leather for those days. Specially with JMW I will try them on first...size is tricky and price really high. I just pulled the trigger with La Cambre, but I know my size as I tried them on in their London store. Weston owns tannerie Bastin which produces one of the best leather outsoles out there.
That’s not true. Good leather will not be ruined because of rain. These are country shoes and will be perfectly fine after some rain. In fact they will start looking much better than new after some use. Here is a pair of my demi chasse after few years of wearing, I wore them in the rain quite often. I imagine Chasse will age similar if not better.

420F4C20-9B2C-49A3-82A7-78F8C6F37612.jpeg

4E151E06-96E6-4106-A6D4-93C2629C54D4.jpeg

shirtandty

Reaction score

Specifically these two:

Thanks for any help!
Funny you ask because a while back I asked them about these two pairs and the response i got was:

"As the J.M. Weston 180 Moccasin Leather Penny Loafers have a lighter tanning on the leather inside of the shoe and a lighter tan on the calf leather on the outside of the shoe than the 180 Moccasin Leather Loafers, this is the reason why they are listed as being two different items."

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads