• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JM Weston appreciation thread

AunToni

Reaction score
I prefer leather soles on my Weston’s outside of the Ridgeway sole on the 641 Golf. I love the Ridgeway on the 641. I think the standard 4x4 boat shoe with the lug sole is fine but not for me. I’ve personally never worn boat or deck shoes.

I don’t think all of Olivier Saillard’s designs are all misses. I liked the designs of the Miles collection outside of the use of rubber soles on the models. I wanted to purchase the light brown triple sole 180 but the NYC store didn’t carry any of the triple sole 180s in their store. I purchased the standard single leather sole 180 instead.

I liked how they worked through the wearability of the triple sole 180 in advance. Since the uppers of the 180 doesn’t have the support like the Chasse or the triple sole wingtip models they lightened up some of the ball region to make it more wearable. See pic below.
View attachment 1422412
I really liked this Norwegian construction 180 but I just know it would be extremely expensive and overpriced so I didn’t even try to pursue it.
View attachment 1422413
After my black 677 Chasse purchase I inquired about a special order 677 in Chestnut brown. I wanted the chestnut brown Chasse to have antique brown edges instead of the standard black edges. I was told the surcharge would be 50% on top of the total price. I commissioned a bespoke shoemaker to make the shoe for me instead. No point in paying more for RTW than I would for bespoke.
Yeah, I prefer leather on all my shoes, in general. However, I wanted a few pairs to wear in the rain. However, if I do buy from Weston again, I won't buy their rubber soles. I have since just gone with a pair of boots from Church's and AE, both with rubber soles for rainy weather. Both have held up nicely.

I think the Norwegian construction is beautiful in general, but I don't think I'd buy a pair from JMW. Also, you're right about the cost of special order/MTO from JM, it is nearly half or half of the total shoe retail price. It's ridiculous. I had long ago asked about it because I wanted a pair of their shoes in burgundy, the same color they offered in other models, but they said I would have to place a special order. Wasn't worth it.

The Miles collection was appealing to me at first simply because it seemed to offer something "new," but I wasn't that impressed with them when I tried them on. I think putting leather sole on them would have been better. And I don't know if I would call putting a triple sole on the 180 a 'design" since Weston has had triple sole shoes before on other models. But sure, I would admit I'm being unfair to Saillard. My frustration should be directed at Weston more than the designer.

Last edited:

AunToni

Reaction score
Church's is pretty good about offering both F and G widths. It's sometimes difficult to tell which is stocked, but I find that many websites actually default to G.
They don't offer those widths in all their stores. At least no the store in SH where I live. I had to settle for the standard width when buying a pair of Chelsea boots with rubber sole. I bought them to wear only in the rain, and after having them for well over a year, they have held up quite nicely. For future reference I'll keep in mind and order from online if I can. Thanks!

yunBW

Reaction score
Received my jm Weston loafer from 24s (waiting size 6D from MrP). Size 7D. I tried one of my friend loafer in 7E from JMW. So I need a bit of help on sizing who’s more experienced with 180 loafer.

The difference between E and D width for me is that D fits more snug around my feet without feeling Overbearing while the E less snug but not necessary loose. Also, for D I get less of the heel slip compare to E width. So I’m wondering whether I should size down half size or full size from 7 or this size is fine and whether going size D will be a better fit? Since it’s snug on me and slight tightness on the instep, which I believe will be loosen as leather stretches overtime.

so for size 7 I can barely fit my fingers tip in the back shown in the picture

another question the lining of the heel of my loafer seems to have small holes. Is that normal? Because my friend’s 180 loafer doesn’t have anything.

is JMW shoes suppose to come with shoe tree or I have to purchase it separately? I read it that it suppose to come with the shoes

Thank you

Attachments

• E8A01E12-4961-405C-B405-83676986BB9B.jpeg
    E8A01E12-4961-405C-B405-83676986BB9B.jpeg
    158.2 KB · Views: 94
  • 3764FB15-7F74-43F4-8AB4-05D13D281578.jpeg
    3764FB15-7F74-43F4-8AB4-05D13D281578.jpeg
    151.8 KB · Views: 186
  • 9D2B9F21-90E0-428A-BAED-D09FB7C6B600.jpeg
    9D2B9F21-90E0-428A-BAED-D09FB7C6B600.jpeg
    298 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:

yunBW

Reaction score
I really don't know if I'm expecting too much on JM Weston quality, but some of the quality issues really questions me with their price range... small hole on the lining for both sizes I order, while My friend's pair doesn't have anything, as well as one of the heel has a misaligned nail. I don't even see these problems on shoes that's within the $300-500 price range. Otherwise it's a really nice shoes.

soender

Reaction score
The small holes in the heel, are from the lasting process.

yunBW

Reaction score
The small holes in the heel, are from the lasting process.
Could you explain it a bit more?
Did they change their lasting process on their loafer? Because the people I asked who own the 180 a while back didn’t have any holes on the lining. Why does it happen to JMW loafer while other makers I have encountered didn’t have it.

soender

Reaction score
Could you explain it a bit more?
Did they change their lasting process on their loafer? Because the people I asked who own the 180 a while back didn’t have any holes on the lining. Why does it happen to JMW loafer while other makers I have encountered didn’t have it.

I can try. You need to fix the leather somehow, before you can start molding and fixing it to the last. The nail(s) could be placed differently by different workers and makers - should explain the difference.
One of my Vass display one hole, another two, my Church display one. On one pair of C&J, it's way low at the footbed, can't find it on another. The nail would still be used, but the hole hidden away somewhere.

Wear your new loafers with joy :)

yunBW

Reaction score
I can try. You need to fix the leather somehow, before you can start molding and fixing it to the last. The nail(s) could be placed differently by different workers and makers - should explain the difference.
One of my Vass display one hole, another two, my Church display one. On one pair of C&J, it's way low at the footbed, can't find it on another. The nail would still be used, but the hole hidden away somewhere.

Wear your new loafers with joy :)
Thanks, I see what you mean.

I can’t enjoy my new loafer yet because I’m still uncertain with this sizing. I’m having 1cm of gap between the back of heel to the loafer heel. So I’m not too sure if 7D is the right size to go yet.

gte872h

Reaction score
It’s lasting holes for sure. Nothing to worry about. I’d recommend waiting until you get the smaller size to check the fit and go from there. If the smaller size ends up being too short a tongue pad could help on the 7D. I use a tongue pad on only the right shoe of my 180s.

Weston’s also do not come with shoe trees.

yunBW

Reaction score
It’s lasting holes for sure. Nothing to worry about. I’d recommend waiting until you get the smaller size to check the fit and go from there. If the smaller size ends up being too short a tongue pad could help on the 7D. I use a tongue pad on only the right shoe of my 180s.

Weston’s also do not come with shoe trees.
Ok thank you. I’ll wait for the 6.5 to come in.I couldn’t fit in the 6D at all. I wonder if I stayed with 7D, is there a chance it might get too loose after broken in? Since the 7E I tried from my friend is way too loose.

Could you share a link on with tongue pad you’ve purchase for the 180?

gte872h

Reaction score
@yunBW wondering if your 6.5 came in yet? Is that a D width? I’ve been wondering if you might end up needing a 6.5E?

yunBW

Reaction score
@yunBW wondering if your 6.5 came in yet? Is that a D width? I’ve been wondering if you might end up needing a 6.5E?
Still waiting for my exchange to be done from MrP. I guess it will take another week or two depending on how MrP get out with their shipment. 6.5E might be work but there’s no retailers that sell 6.5E width in the US I think, and I don’t want to risk of ordering from boutique and not getting a refund if it doesn’t work out

Last edited:

gte872h

Reaction score
Still waiting for my exchange to be done from MrP. I guess it will take another week or two depending on how MrP get out with their shipment. 6.5E might be work but there’s no retailers that sell 6.5E width in the US I think, and I don’t want to risk of ordering from boutique and not getting a refund if it doesn’t work out

Alright, well the 6.5 D will be a good data point once it arrives. The 180 is by far my best fitting loafer compared to Alden and Allen Edmonds. Hopefully your patience will be deserved in the end of all this.:)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads