• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JM Weston appreciation thread

WSW

Reaction score
Do you recommend any places online to buy C & J?

Indeed. I agree with you. I also don't really see the appeal of black monk straps, but that's obviously just my personal taste.
JMW just recently came out with a burgundy in their Chelsea boot. It looks gorgeous, a shame they didn't do it before. I have the brown, and although I love it, I would have loved to have bought the burgundy when there was a store in my area still. :/

https://www.bodileys.com/ - They deduct VAT.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do others think about JMW's new models? I've attached some pictures and links here for reference. Honestly, I find them either dull/boring, ugly, and/or tacky. And in some cases, they just look "cheap." It appears as though their head designer isn't even a designer. Oh wait, he isn't.

And what is odd to me is how this designer keeps emphasizing JMW's heritage, but they already have so many models that are time tested models. They don't need "reinterpretation." I really don't know where to place most of these shoes because even the models that look very basic, are just that, very basic, and for that price point I'm not going to buy a basic "work" shoe from JMW. They also seemed to have gotten rid of some of their older models, such as their three eyelet derby and "replaced" it with a two eyelet derby that just looks "cheaper" to me. As for the evening shoes, what's with that big W? They have another pair of evening shoes that is in a pebble grain... o_O

The "boat" oxford (it isn't an oxford and it is not even a boat shoe...) looks like some polyurethene monstrosity from the discount aisle at Sears. It's the ugliest shoe I've ever seen that probably goes for 1000 dollars.

The Albi mocasin is meant to be "club wear". I suppose they are trying to get young idiots to buy expensive shoes that look tacky as hell with the giant branding.

The Raphael is too modern and strange for my tastes and the derby looks weird, I agree.

AunToni

Reaction score
The "boat" oxford (it isn't an oxford and it is not even a boat shoe...) looks like some polyurethene monstrosity from the discount aisle at Sears. It's the ugliest shoe I've ever seen that probably goes for 1000 dollars.

The Albi mocasin is meant to be "club wear". I suppose they are trying to get young idiots to buy expensive shoes that look tacky as hell with the giant branding. And for some reason my immediate thought upon seeing it was Paraboot. I know they are quite popular in Japan.

The Raphael is too modern and strange for my tastes and the derby looks weird, I agree.
I loved your comment about the boat shoe, haha. I completely agree.

The Raphael really fits their new designer because to me it looks like the product of someone who has no experience in design. Enter Olivier Saillard.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I loved your comment about the boat shoe, haha. I completely agree.

The Raphael really fits their new designer because to me it looks like the product of someone who has no experience in design. Enter Olivier Saillard.

At least the Raphael is at least -somewhat- okay. It isn't on the same level as the boat shoe, which is like, bad everywhere.

I have literally seen that kind of shoe in Sears. For 20 dollars.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At least the Raphael is at least -somewhat- okay. It isn't on the same level as the boat shoe, which is like, bad everywhere.

I have literally seen that kind of shoe in Sears. For 20 dollars.

Or to put it this way: I'd not be embarrassed to put on the Raphaels, even if I dislike their weird design choices.

Their regular cap toe is so much more elegant. Or their half-brogue, though I don't understand why they only show that in black and not in brown or oxblood.

AunToni

Reaction score
I agree. The problem I have with the Raphael is that there was really no need for it in JMW's line up. Just like they also introduced the Edouard cap toe. Both brought nothing new, save for the more pointed toe and in the case of the Raphael, the stupid lines. Maybe if they got rid of those lines the shoe would look more decent.

But like you said, their regular cap toe is so much more elegant and they actually had older models under Michel Perry that were way more elegant and beautiful, but have since discontinued those and the ones that are left they seem to be only offering them in black or one other color. Like, for example, the blue wholecut I have. I also have it in a shade of lighter brown, but they no longer off either the blue or lighter brown colors for this model. This makes me think they might either be discontinuing those as well soon when stock runs out or they are just going to limit them to black.

Also, just seeing the new models they have released under Saillard, none of them impress me. Even Saillard's take on colors and patterns for the 180 were just really unimpressive to me.

A side note, what do you think is JMW's more elegant/beautiful shoe? For me, it has to be the single monk (buckle derby) in bordeaux.

gte872h

Reaction score
I like the look of the Edouard in burnt umber but don’t like the stamped W on the heel. Not planning on buying but I like the look. My preferences are more towards the Chasse, Golf, and 180 types.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree. The problem I have with the Raphael is that there was really no need for it in JMW's line up. Just like they also introduced the Edouard cap toe. Both brought nothing new, save for the more pointed toe and in the case of the Raphael, the stupid lines. Maybe if they got rid of those lines the shoe would look more decent.

But like you said, their regular cap toe is so much more elegant and they actually had older models under Michel Perry that were way more elegant and beautiful, but have since discontinued those and the ones that are left they seem to be only offering them in black or one other color. Like, for example, the blue wholecut I have. I also have it in a shade of lighter brown, but they no longer off either the blue or lighter brown colors for this model. This makes me think they might either be discontinuing those as well soon when stock runs out or they are just going to limit them to black.

Also, just seeing the new models they have released under Saillard, none of them impress me. Even Saillard's take on colors and patterns for the 180 were just really unimpressive to me.

A side note, what do you think is JMW's more elegant/beautiful shoe? For me, it has to be the single monk (buckle derby) in bordeaux.

Look at this hideous monstrosity:

Why would you put on a lug sole on any nice shoe? Oh wait, this isn't a nice shoe: it's another 20 dollar looking garbage pile.

I wish this was in another colour, but for a derby this is excellent. The other "soft calfskin" one has too square of a toe. Square toes are the devil.

Same with these boots:

If these were in a rich brown or burgundy, they'd be quite nice. I am not 100% on board with the quick lacing on the top, but they still look amazingly smart.

But my overall favourite JM Weston shoe has to be the whole cuts. I think they show off a simple elegance with flawless calfskin.

Last edited:

AunToni

Reaction score
Look at this hideous monstrosity:

Why would you put on a lug sole on any nice shoe? Oh wait, this isn't a nice shoe: it's another 20 dollar looking garbage pile.

I wish this was in another colour, but for a derby this is excellent. The other "soft calfskin" one has too square of a toe. Square toes are the devil.

Same with these boots:

If these were in a rich brown or burgundy, they'd be quite nice. I am not 100% on board with the quick lacing on the top, but they still look amazingly smart.

But my overall favourite JM Weston shoe has to be the whole cuts. I think they show off a simple elegance with flawless calfskin.
Man, I never understood why they had those deck derby shoes in the first place and why they have had them for so long. Those shoes have been around for many years. They look horrible.

To be honest, I wish they still had the 437 derby (see attached picture in "burgundy").
The only derby I have from JMW is the 477 (see attached pictures in "brown"). Oh wait, that's not true, I had he 331 winged derby, but I think they stopped making that. Anyways, that shoe was a nice "country" shoe, up until one day when I was walking in the rain and suddenly felt my feet were soaking wet. Got home only to realize the rubber soles had split in multiple places. No ******* clue why this happened as the soles were still good. This also happened to another pair of shoes I had from them that had rubber soles. I was able to resole those and gave them to someone, but the 331 winged derby was soaked inside and i let them out to air dry for a few days only to find that mold had grown inside the shoes. i took them to a cobbler in SH, but they didn't want to touch them, so I just threw them away. A waste. In retrospect I should have found a way to take care of the mold and repair them, but I was pissed and disgusted so I just tossed them.

I don't know, I'm just not feeling the Edouard, but that might be simply because I had tried on the Raphael and hated it. It felt cheap for some reason and I didn't like how it fit. Same with the Remi. Compared to my other wholecuts from JMW, I just didn't think the Remi stacked up.

Speaking of wholecuts, I really love their Chelsea boot using a single piece of leather. It's seamless look is really quite beautiful. I have it in the brown color, but I really want it in burgundy. Although I've said I won't buy from JMW anymore, I may make an exception for that shoe if I stumble upon a JMW store one day, haha.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-11 at 4.24.12 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-11 at 4.24.12 AM.png
    158.6 KB · Views: 57
  • WechatIMG17.jpg
    WechatIMG17.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 74
  • WechatIMG18.jpg
    WechatIMG18.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

bullethead

Reaction score
Lot of hate for the deck derby. I have a pair in calfskin and wear them in the fall with chinos or cords, a Shetland sweater and an OCBD. No regrets on the purchase.

FWIW, my other westons are all classics

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man, I never understood why they had those deck derby shoes in the first place and why they have had them for so long. Those shoes have been around for many years. They look horrible.

To be honest, I wish they still had the 437 derby (see attached picture in "burgundy").
The only derby I have from JMW is the 477 (see attached pictures in "brown"). Oh wait, that's not true, I had he 331 winged derby, but I think they stopped making that. Anyways, that shoe was a nice "country" shoe, up until one day when I was walking in the rain and suddenly felt my feet were soaking wet. Got home only to realize the rubber soles had split in multiple places. No ******* clue why this happened as the soles were still good. This also happened to another pair of shoes I had from them that had rubber soles. I was able to resole those and gave them to someone, but the 331 winged derby was soaked inside and i let them out to air dry for a few days only to find that mold had grown inside the shoes. i took them to a cobbler in SH, but they didn't want to touch them, so I just threw them away. A waste. In retrospect I should have found a way to take care of the mold and repair them, but I was pissed and disgusted so I just tossed them.

I don't know, I'm just not feeling the Edouard, but that might be simply because I had tried on the Raphael and hated it. It felt cheap for some reason and I didn't like how it fit. Same with the Remi. Compared to my other wholecuts from JMW, I just didn't think the Remi stacked up.

Speaking of wholecuts, I really love their Chelsea boot using a single piece of leather. It's seamless look is really quite beautiful. I have it in the brown color, but I really want it in burgundy. Although I've said I won't buy from JMW anymore, I may make an exception for that shoe if I stumble upon a JMW store one day, haha.

I am shocked that these shoes got mold from just being soaked one day. This seems absolutely ridiculous. I'd have sent them to JM Weston and see if they couldn't fix or replace them - that is not the type of experience you should expect from a 1000 dollar shoe.

I am just sad the JMW closed in NY as I really wanted to try some of these on. Welp, next European trip, I suppose, I will make a stop in.

AunToni

Reaction score
Lot of hate for the deck derby. I have a pair in calfskin and wear them in the fall with chinos or cords, a Shetland sweater and an OCBD. No regrets on the purchase.

FWIW, my other westons are all classics
Do you have a pic of you wearing those with pants? haha. I know that sounds weird, but what I mean is that I am curious to see how someone wears the deck derby.

AunToni

Reaction score
I am shocked that these shoes got mold from just being soaked one day. This seems absolutely ridiculous. I'd have sent them to JM Weston and see if they couldn't fix or replace them - that is not the type of experience you should expect from a 1000 dollar shoe.

I am just sad the JMW closed in NY as I really wanted to try some of these on. Welp, next European trip, I suppose, I will make a stop in.
To be honest, the mold was more or less my fault because I let them sit out for a day first, then put the JMW shoe tree in, then after day two pulled out the shoe tree and there was mold. I say it was my fault because I should have known better because JMW shoetrees aren't there to absorb moisture, they are just there to keep the shape of the shoe. However, it's ridiculous that the shoe's rubber sole had split in numerous places on both shoes. I suspect those shoes had probably been sitting in the store storage room for years. And at the point when they split, I had already had them for about a year and a half. However, I didn't wear them that often and there were no noticeable issues with the sole. The heels were still well in tack and no obvious sign of needing to be replaced right away.

I noticed that on Mr.P they are offering quite a few different models in the US market. In the China (where I live) website for MrP, they are still only offering the 180s and le moc' and I think some sneakers.

AunToni

Reaction score
The possibilities are endless with the deck derby tbh.

I can understand now why people like it and personally I think it looks way better in brown with the light colored sole, but still not for me. haha. Thanks for sharing.
The one thing I really don't get about this shoe though is why they stamped JM Weston into the upper. I really don't like labels, especially on shoes like this.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads