• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JM Weston appreciation thread

drewzter

Reaction score
That navy wholecut looked beautiful. I have been eyeing a navy 180 online but unsure how versatile it will be. There is also a hunter green 180 I have my eye on and that one even more so unsure about how the color can be worn frequently

yunBW

Reaction score
I personally recommend getting the basic color first before getting into other dark colors. I always find myself wearing the basic color more often as it goes well with a lot of clothes. I really do like the hunter green navy and even the grey that they offer for their loafer, but it will take slightly more effort to style them.

AunToni

Reaction score
I got into Corthay last year, which while more expensive, represents an even higher level of shoemaking and also service.

I also like Edward Green and for workhorse shoes, Crockett and Jones.
I tried Corthay, they are beautiful shoes, but it was a "pop-up" store and they didn't have shoes that fit my wide foot. I was quite disappointed. Maybe I'll check their website and see if they offer more widths.

What do you think of Crockett and Jones? I haven't tried any of their shoes.

AunToni

Reaction score
That navy wholecut looked beautiful. I have been eyeing a navy 180 online but unsure how versatile it will be. There is also a hunter green 180 I have my eye on and that one even more so unsure about how the color can be worn frequently
To be honest, that navy wholecut is extremely versatile. They can go with basically any color pants. The only pair of pants I wouldn't wear them with are black, but I don't like black pants or even black shoes, so not a big deal for me.

Can see me wearing them with gray pants and green pants. in these pictures. And I don't normally wear no-show socks with wholecuts, but that particular day I was feeling adventurous, ha. Anyways, I highly recommend at least one pair of navy shoes.

As for the green, to be honest, the only color pants you couldn't wear green with would be black, probably green or certain shades of green, and brown. Otherwise, green isn't that difficult to wear, especially if you have blue, white or beige pants. Could even go with gray, just depends.

In my personal opinion, I think people buy too many black and brown shoes and not enough burgundy, blue or other colors that are almost as versatile. A big part of it though is that not many brands offer RTW in colors other than black and shades of brown. :/

Attachments

• 68631840_726840147773367_3517809851600207872_o.jpg
    68631840_726840147773367_3517809851600207872_o.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_3146.JPG
    IMG_3146.JPG
    248.1 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To be honest, that navy wholecut is extremely versatile. They can go with basically any color pants. The only pair of pants I wouldn't wear them with are black, but I don't like black pants or even black shoes, so not a big deal for me.

Can see me wearing them with gray pants and green pants. in these pictures. And I don't normally wear no-show socks with wholecuts, but that particular day I was feeling adventurous, ha. Anyways, I highly recommend at least one pair of navy shoes.

As for the green, to be honest, the only color pants you couldn't wear green with would be black, probably green or certain shades of green, and brown. Otherwise, green isn't that difficult to wear, especially if you have blue, white or beige pants. Could even go with gray, just depends.

In my personal opinion, I think people buy too many black and brown shoes and not enough burgundy, blue or other colors that are almost as versatile. A big part of it though is that not many brands offer RTW in colors other than black and shades of brown. :/

Oxblood (in all its shade variants) is a very common colour for dress shoes and boots for most major RTW brands. Usually that's the third option.

WSW

Reaction score
I tried Corthay, they are beautiful shoes, but it was a "pop-up" store and they didn't have shoes that fit my wide foot. I was quite disappointed. Maybe I'll check their website and see if they offer more widths.

They're hardy and durable shoes, albeit not as refined as makers like Edward Green. Solid buy at their price point. They also have a huge variety so you can find a last, color and style to cater to your preferences.

yunBW

Reaction score

For mainline CJ from what I have heard the quality is around Carmina level or slightly better. Correct me if I’m wrong

if you’re looking for whole cut shoes. You can try Enzo bonafe, Antonio meccariello or GG

AunToni

Reaction score
Oxblood (in all its shade variants) is a very common colour for dress shoes and boots for most major RTW brands. Usually that's the third option.
Would be more appropriate to say red (in all its shade variants) because oxblood and burgundy, etc. are all shade variants of red, :)

Anyways, you highlighted one of the points in saying that "oxblood" is the "third option." I'll admit that my claim about RTW brands not offering enough color can be confined to certain brands, like JL and JMW. EG and Santoni, for example, do a great job of offering a variety of colors for most of their models.

I also just really don't like black shoes. I have one pair. I wear them to funerals.

AunToni

Reaction score
For mainline CJ from what I have heard the quality is around Carmina level or slightly better. Correct me if I’m wrong

if you’re looking for whole cut shoes. You can try Enzo bonafe, Antonio meccariello or GG
Thanks for the advice/suggestions. I have tried on GG, but the stockist where I am only carries it in medium width. As for Enzo bonafe, I've been interested, but I don't live where there are any shops. Anyways, after the pandemic, when I can travel, I'll be heading to somewhere I can a) get good bespoke shoes and b) check out some of these brands that I've long wanted to try.

Any update on your 180s?

yunBW

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice/suggestions. I have tried on GG, but the stockist where I am only carries it in medium width. As for Enzo bonafe, I've been interested, but I don't live where there are any shops. Anyways, after the pandemic, when I can travel, I'll be heading to somewhere I can a) get good bespoke shoes and b) check out some of these brands that I've long wanted to try.

Any update on your 180s?
My package still haven’t shipped from MrP and I had to replace the order for the correct size. I believe there might be another e-retailer that carries JMW I will order another size from there

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would be more appropriate to say red (in all its shade variants) because oxblood and burgundy, etc. are all shade variants of red, :)

Anyways, you highlighted one of the points in saying that "oxblood" is the "third option." I'll admit that my claim about RTW brands not offering enough color can be confined to certain brands, like JL and JMW. EG and Santoni, for example, do a great job of offering a variety of colors for most of their models.

I also just really don't like black shoes. I have one pair. I wear them to funerals.

I understand. I find black shoes a bit plain, too. Black captoes are a classic for a reason, but I avoid buying too many black shoes as I'd prefer to have other colours if I can buy them.

For instance: The black brogue is a terrible choice as it mixes the most formal colour with the most casual style. It's a shoe without a place.

That being said, I do appreciate how shiny black gets when polished to a high gloss with blue polish.

But it is a shame JM Weston doesn't have many oxblood shoes, as it is a beautiful colour. Those whole cuts look stupendous, though.

AunToni

Reaction score
They're hardy and durable shoes, albeit not as refined as makers like Edward Green. Solid buy at their price point. They also have a huge variety so you can find a last, color and style to cater to your preferences.
Do you recommend any places online to buy C & J?
I understand. I find black shoes a bit plain, too. Black captoes are a classic for a reason, but I avoid buying too many black shoes as I'd prefer to have other colours if I can buy them.

For instance: The black brogue is a terrible choice as it mixes the most formal colour with the most casual style. It's a shoe without a place.

That being said, I do appreciate how shiny black gets when polished to a high gloss with blue polish.

But it is a shame JM Weston doesn't have many oxblood shoes, as it is a beautiful colour. Those whole cuts look stupendous, though.
Indeed. I agree with you. I also don't really see the appeal of black monk straps, but that's obviously just my personal taste.
JMW just recently came out with a burgundy in their Chelsea boot. It looks gorgeous, a shame they didn't do it before. I have the brown, and although I love it, I would have loved to have bought the burgundy when there was a store in my area still. :/

AunToni

Reaction score
What do others think about JMW's new models? I've attached some pictures and links here for reference. Honestly, I find them either dull/boring, ugly, and/or tacky. And in some cases, they just look "cheap." It appears as though their head designer isn't even a designer. Oh wait, he isn't.

And what is odd to me is how this designer keeps emphasizing JMW's heritage, but they already have so many models that are time tested models. They don't need "reinterpretation." I really don't know where to place most of these shoes because even the models that look very basic, are just that, very basic, and for that price point I'm not going to buy a basic "work" shoe from JMW. They also seemed to have gotten rid of some of their older models, such as their three eyelet derby and "replaced" it with a two eyelet derby that just looks "cheaper" to me. As for the evening shoes, what's with that big W? They have another pair of evening shoes that is in a pebble grain... o_O

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-09 at 12.24.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-09 at 12.24.13 PM.png
    222.7 KB · Views: 79
  • Screen Shot 2020-07-09 at 12.26.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-09 at 12.26.25 PM.png
    286.4 KB · Views: 46
  • Screen Shot 2020-07-09 at 12.27.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-09 at 12.27.41 PM.png
    323.8 KB · Views: 73
  • Screen Shot 2020-07-09 at 12.29.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-09 at 12.29.46 PM.png
    286.7 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads