• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JM Weston appreciation thread

AunToni

Reaction score
Damn alright, I had a feeling I might need a E but it seem they don’t have E in the size they recommended, which is US7.5D because in MrP website they suggested going half size down from my true size (US 8). Do you know if MrP is displaying JMW sizing or the US sizing and if it’s JMW sizing what size should I take? It have been so confusing to figure it out...
I know, it's confusing. I'll give you some details about myself and maybe some of it can help you, but forgive me if it's not that helpful. haha.
I normally wear a 42 Euro size, which is like an 8.5 US. However, for J.M. Weston, I just checked, I have about 15 pairs of shoes from them, almost all are 8E. I misspoke in earlier posts, I have one model where I wear a 7.5E and another where I wear an 8.5E, but otherwise nearly all my shoes are 8E. It shows the US sizing on the box too and it seems to be a half size smaller. I don't own the 180 shoe because I'm 1.80 cm (about 5'11'') tall and due to my high arch my feet are quite small. Therefore, since the 180 shoe is a bit stubby, it looks awkward to me when I tried them on. However, I do have 4 pairs of the Le Moc loafer and I wear an 8E in that.

I am not a shoe expert, but I have been told by some brands that don't offer width differences on models, like Santoni for example, that I could go up a half size and that would be more accommodating for my foot. I did that, although they don't fit as well as my JMW, I do like them and they fit well. Anyways, I'm really not sure if this applies to all brands in regards to half sizes or not.

All of that being said, I just checked a few models on MrP and it seems they have UK sizing, which, according to my JMW boxes, is the same as JMW sizing, at least for the models I have. I've attached a picture for your reference. Anyways, if you have wider feet it seems to be that you should try the E and also shouldn't go down a size if the sizing is in UK size. Double check the pair you bought to make sure.
Also, I just checked some other member posted pictures of their boxes and they have the 180 and another model I don't have. It seems based on their boxes the size difference between UK sizing and JMW for the 180 is a full shoe size. So, this just further supports what another member said earlier regarding the difficulty in understanding JWM sizing.

Attachments

• thumbnail_Image.jpg
    thumbnail_Image.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 478
Last edited:

gte872h

Reaction score
Damn alright, I had a feeling I might need a E but it seem they don’t have E in the size they recommended, which is US7.5D because in MrP website they suggested going half size down from my true size (US 8). Do you know if MrP is displaying JMW sizing or the US sizing and if it’s JMW sizing what size should I take? It have been so confusing to figure it out...

I really thought I would need an E width in Weston but the only model I have that I take an E width in is the 590 triple sole wingtip. Really surprised me since I’m typically an E width overall. BTW I have heard the Le Moc loafer runs a bit narrow vs the 180 loafer but I haven’t tried it on or anything.

Here’s some of my sizing in other brands which I shared for someone else on the Vass thread last week.

I’m ~US 11 E Brannock.
10.5 E in Alden Barrie/Trubalance and Grant Stone Leo
10 F UK in Edward Green 64 last
10 UK in Carmina, need wider lasts
10 in Viberg and 10.5 in narrower lasts
JM Weston sizing is equivalent to US 11D
Weston sizing 10D in 641 Weston Golf
Weston sizing 10.5D in 677 Weston Chasse Hunt
Weston sizing 10.5E in 590 Weston triple sole wingtips
Weston sizing 9.5D in 180 Weston Loafers
10H in RM Williams Gardener
Size 44 in Vass 3636 last

Wrenkin

Reaction score
Dieworkwear claims that Mr Porter’s listed sizes are actually Weston sizes rather than UK.

AunToni

Reaction score
Dieworkwear claims that Mr Porter’s listed sizes are actually Weston sizes rather than UK.
If that's the case, then it would seem that if you are going from UK size to Weston size, you would need to decrease your UK size by 1 full size? If you are going from US to Weston, you would need to decrease by 2 sizes? This is for the 180 and I'm only basing this off of a picture another member shared of the 180 box.

Wrenkin

Reaction score
If that's the case, then it would seem that if you are going from UK size to Weston size, you would need to decrease your UK size by 1 full size? If you are going from US to Weston, you would need to decrease by 2 sizes? This is for the 180 and I'm only basing this off of a picture another member shared of the 180 box.

I would check the photo again but I think Weston assumes UK is 1/2 down from US rather than 1 down. So 1 down from Weston’s listed UK, or 1.5 down from listed US.

AunToni

Reaction score
I would check the photo again but I think Weston assumes UK is 1/2 down from US rather than 1 down. So 1 down from Weston’s listed UK, or 1.5 down from listed US.
Yes, you're right. Sorry, my mistake, but still, this seems to contradict what the other member was told by MrP, that is, to go 1/2 size down (assuming it was US size). He said his true size is 8 US, this would mean he would go for a 7.5 in Weston's sizing, which would, by the logic on their boxes, put his size at a 6 US? :/

Anyways, he already placed the order, always have free return with MrP.

Wrenkin

Reaction score
Yes, you're right. Sorry, my mistake, but still, this seems to contradict what the other member was told by MrP, that is, to go 1/2 size down (assuming it was US size). He said his true size is 8 US, this would mean he would go for a 7.5 in Weston's sizing, which would, by the logic on their boxes, put his size at a 6 US? :/

Anyways, he already placed the order, always have free return with MrP.

Maybe it depends on your settings. I see them listed in UK sizes on Mr Porter. I am a US 8, which is usually a UK 7. So half size down I would order a 6.5. The confusing bit here is that you have to ignore Weston‘s nominal UK size for this to work. It’s 1/2 size down from your regular UK size, not the marked UK size.

i haven’t ordered them. That’s just what I understand the process to be.

AunToni

Reaction score
Maybe it depends on your settings. I see them listed in UK sizes on Mr Porter. I am a US 8, which is usually a UK 7. So half size down I would order a 6.5. The confusing bit here is that you have to ignore Weston‘s nominal UK size for this to work. It’s 1/2 size down from your regular UK size, not the marked UK size.

I see them listed as UK sizing too, I was just going off of what the other member who ordered the 180s from MrP said because he was talking about his sizing being in US. Anyways, after thinking about this a bit more, I agree with you, I think should ignore the marketed US and UK sizing from Weston.
As another member had said earlier, their sizing is probably one of the reasons they would do horrible with offering shoes for sale on their website to the global market.

gte872h

Reaction score

You are correct. Mr Porter is notorious for listing incorrect sizing advice. I believe @dieworkwear is indeed correct about the Mr Porter UK size being the actual “Weston” size. The sizing for the 180 is 1.5 down from your US size. I have always ignored the UK size on the Weston box for obvious reasons based on the box pics I posted last page.

yunBW

Reaction score
My MrP order still haven’t shipped I can try to change the sizing... MrP been really slow in term of shipping. So from what I read I should be going for a size 6.5D for my size? Or do you guys think I should try 7E? Thanks

yunBW

Reaction score
I really thought I would need an E width in Weston but the only model I have that I take an E width in is the 590 triple sole wingtip. Really surprised me since I’m typically an E width overall. BTW I have heard the Le Moc loafer runs a bit narrow vs the 180 loafer but I haven’t tried it on or anything.

Here’s some of my sizing in other brands which I shared for someone else on the Vass thread last week.

I’m ~US 11 E Brannock.
10.5 E in Alden Barrie/Trubalance and Grant Stone Leo
10 F UK in Edward Green 64 last
10 UK in Carmina, need wider lasts
10 in Viberg and 10.5 in narrower lasts
JM Weston sizing is equivalent to US 11D
Weston sizing 10D in 641 Weston Golf
Weston sizing 10.5D in 677 Weston Chasse Hunt
Weston sizing 10.5E in 590 Weston triple sole wingtips
Weston sizing 9.5D in 180 Weston Loafers
10H in RM Williams Gardener
Size 44 in Vass 3636 last
Which last in Carmina are you wearing?

TN001

Reaction score
Here's another example of the oddities of Weston sizing. I had a pair of suede 180's, size 10.5, with a Weston 180 shoe tree size 10 (shoe tree was bought about a year after the shoes). The tree was way too tight on the suede 180's, pulling the leather hard. I tried it on another pair of size 10 calf 180's, and I could barely get the shoe tree in the shoes.

I called the NY store, and Bob said "what's the shoe tree model number?", and thinking he was wondering if I was trying to put the derby shoe tree in a pair of 180's, I said "no it's the right one for the 180's". Turns out there are two shoe tree models for the 180, and on some shoes (and size combos), the lighter, slightly smaller version just fits better. He sent me a pair of those (also size 10), and they fit perfectly.

gte872h

Reaction score
My MrP order still haven’t shipped I can try to change the sizing... MrP been really slow in term of shipping. So from what I read I should be going for a size 6.5D for my size? Or do you guys think I should try 7E? Thanks
Really depends on your foot shape and how wide your feet really are. As I said earlier I’m a 11E brannock but I take a 9.5D in the 180. My foot has more volume in the arches and instep as opposed to overall width. Really feel like the 180 in a D width has the volume I need. The 180 in the same size in an E width would be too big for me.
Which last in Carmina are you wearing?
Not wearing anything with a good fit. I have a pair of Robert last derby shoes which are a bad fit. Bought them during a close out sale hoping I could squeeze into a UK9.5. They are too narrow and the length isn’t quite right either. I do not think a UK10 would have enough width either. The Soller or Detroit may work for me but I haven’t tried them.

AunToni

Reaction score
You do have one other option, one that I've done when trying to order online from brands I'm not familiar with, trace your feet and measure them. These are good numbers to have anyways when ordering online. Also can measure the arch height. Then you can send them to the company and ask which size they suggest for which model. However, I highly doubt JMW will be accommodating, at least based on my interactions with them, but who knows, maybe they will be helpful? There was a number/email that you could contact that JMW Madison sent out in their notification that they were closing. You could also try to contact them through that number/email?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-03 at 2.22.38 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-03 at 2.22.38 AM.png
    90.4 KB · Views: 478

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads