• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JM Weston appreciation thread

AunToni

Reaction score
Damn.. so the only way for the US buyer to try on JMW will be MrP? Does anyone know why don’t they let more US retailers carry their stock or closing the store might indicate so?
Because they are an arrogant company. I talked with the manager from the Shanghai store when it was closing and she said they refused to do any advertising or build up their brand image in China, then they were pissed when Chinese consumers weren't buying their product. Barely anyone knows who J.M. Weston is. I suspect they will close many more of their stores around the world, which aren't that many, and just focus on their stores in France and Japan (they seem to be popular in Japan for some reason or another).

AunToni

Reaction score
I had some Weston Shoes a long time ago (180 and Golf), they were very good, and in the time at a reasonable price (i'm an old Parisian :-D).
Then i was (and still am) more into English Shoes.
I am now interested in the Weston "Miles" derby brogues

View attachment 1386230

Did some of you tried them ? Advice and reviews would be very interesting.
Don't waste your money.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
@AunToni I tried them in the shop...
Weston Miles perforées.jpg
Looking good, but yeah too expensive for what they are.

JohnFM

Reaction score
I had a very good experience with Daniel and Bob in the NY store not long ago. Sixteen years ago, I bought a pair of Golfs in Paris that were beautiful, but too large (9.5D). Daniel recently sent out an 8.5D and 9D and I settled on the 9D, which fit like a glove. Is the quality the same as it used to be? I'm not sure, to be honest. Regardless, I'm loving these shoes -- the fit is great and the aesthetic is versatile.

I also recently bought a pair of Edward Green Dovers, which are fantastic and recommended. But the Golfs can go places the Dovers can't and I love them just as much.

soender

Reaction score
Because they are an arrogant company. I talked with the manager from the Shanghai store when it was closing and she said they refused to do any advertising or build up their brand image in China, then they were pissed when Chinese consumers weren't buying their product. Barely anyone knows who J.M. Weston is. I suspect they will close many more of their stores around the world, which aren't that many, and just focus on their stores in France and Japan (they seem to be popular in Japan for some reason or another).
I perfectly understand your frustration.
To me this gives the impression of a francophone way of handling things, when things don't work out. They don't feel the need to explain themselves. Why do so, when everyone who they deal with (and is french..), knows what's going on. Knows their understated signals.
But agree. Most likely keeping stores in France, Belgium and Japan. Known markets, less hassle.

For all their faults, I still want a pair. A black 180.

AunToni

Reaction score
I perfectly understand your frustration.
To me this gives the impression of a francophone way of handling things, when things don't work out. They don't feel the need to explain themselves. Why do so, when everyone who they deal with (and is french..), knows what's going on. Knows their understated signals.
But agree. Most likely keeping stores in France, Belgium and Japan. Known markets, less hassle.

For all their faults, I still want a pair. A black 180.
Exactly.
I think if you're going to buy from them, I would for sure buy their classics.

Edmund K

Reaction score
Totally agree. Would only go for their classics. I recently got a Chelsea whole cut boot 705 for $1200 US and I think the quality is still far superior than JL for 1/3 less money. I don't know if the price can maintain at this level if they need to operate retail outlets around the world. I don't think they're spending excessive amount of money to do marketing..... which is a good thing.

Last edited:

yunBW

Reaction score
Glad to know their classic is not “ruined” since I’m thinking my first pair of 180 loafer.
@AunToni maybe Vass Budapest a good alternative change from JMW

AunToni

Reaction score
Totally agree. Would only go for their classics. I recently got a Chelsea whole cut boot 705 for $1200 US and I think the quality is still far superior than JL for 1/3 less money. I don't know if the price can maintain at this level if they need to operate retail outlets around the world.
The price can maintain. Their problem isn't their price. Their problem is that they have failed to build any kind of brand image. For a brand that is as old as they are, they are barely known.

The new direction they are going in with their shoes seems to be an attempt to appeal to a "younger" crowd and follow the trend that other brands are following with putting their logo all over casual wear. However, I did see that JMW now has a pair of evening shoes that has their logo in large print on the top. Looks tacky.

soender

Reaction score
Glad to know their classic is not “ruined” since I’m thinking my first pair of 180 loafer.
@AunToni maybe Vass Budapest a good alternative change from JMW
My reason for wanting a 180 (or three..), is actually because I'm not super exited about the toe on my Vass loafers. But outside of JMW classics, Vass classics is my goto.

yunBW

Reaction score
My reason for wanting a 180 (or three..), is actually because I'm not super exited about the toe on my Vass loafers. But outside of JMW classics, Vass classics is my goto.
Same. A lot of makers are offering sleek loafer which is pretty hard to dress casually, but 180 seems a good balance between casual and formal (maybe the reason why Japanese are into them).
Ordered one from MrP, hopefully they work for my feet.

JohnFM

Reaction score
^ that's why I like the Golf -- good balance between casual and (well not quite) formal ;-)

Was going to add the 180 soon via New York, but now ... ?

yunBW

Reaction score
^ that's why I like the Golf -- good balance between casual and (well not quite) formal ;-)

Was going to add the 180 soon via New York, but now ... ?
I think the only options for the US customers is probably online retailers from Mr P or 24S. Gonna be a pain to try on sizes...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads