• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JM Weston appreciation thread

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First two pairs of JM Weston shoes. Love these shoes.

View attachment 1085807
I am compelled to observe that the pair on the right look very similar to the Official Boys Scout
Shoes of my youth:

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those actually look great.

And good thing that they didn't have internet nitpickers around back then, to point out that it's a derby, not an oxford.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those actually look great.

And good thing that they didn't have internet nitpickers around back then, to point out that it's a derby, not an oxford.
They were probably less than $10 at the time, the equivalent of $100 + today

printyra

Reaction score
I'm torn between the Alden 986 in shell or the JM Weston 180.

gte872h

Reaction score
I am compelled to observe that the pair on the right look very similar to the Official Boys Scout
Shoes of my youth:
View attachment 1314689

They are probably my most versatile pair of shoes. Love them.
I'm torn between the Alden 986 in shell or the JM Weston 180.

Just speaking from my own experience; bought a pair of 986 and never liked the fit. I don’t really wear them because of it. Bought the Weston 180 over the summer and really enjoy them. Heel stays locked in and are much better for me overall.

printyra

Reaction score
They are probably my most versatile pair of shoes. Love them.

Just speaking from my own experience; bought a pair of 986 and never liked the fit. I don’t really wear them because of it. Bought the Weston 180 over the summer and really enjoy them. Heel stays locked in and are much better for me overall.

Interesting to hear. From the sounds of it, the sizing is quite off and it is recommended to try them in person - which is not going to happen anytime soon unless I go to NYC to try them on. Any tips for sizing? I'm 10D US on Brannock and wear 9.5D US in Alden Vans last.

nemononame

Reaction score
Interesting to hear. From the sounds of it, the sizing is quite off and it is recommended to try them in person - which is not going to happen anytime soon unless I go to NYC to try them on. Any tips for sizing? I'm 10D US on Brannock and wear 9.5D US in Alden Vans last.
I wear 8.5D in Alden van lasted loafer (LHS), unlined shell (i.e. the old Brooks Brother version), but 9.0 in the lined version (i.e. the sold at,say, an Alden shop). The fit with socks is just about perfect in the 9.0. In the Weston Loafers, I wear 8.0D with socks, but 7.5E without. The fit of the 8.0D is just about perfect. Aldens needed little break in, and do loosen up more. Weston need a long period of break in, in my experience, and don't loosen up nearly as much.

Weston shoe sizes, especially loafers, seem hard to nail down and even if you go to a store to get them fit, you may discover, as did I, that what feels right at the store does not feel right 50 wears later. Aldens felt great at the store and have gotten a bit loose but still work great.

Quality wise, it is obvious upon inspection and after wearing, that Westons are quite superior. The stitching is tighter, the leather feels like it will last forever and it ages beautifully, every detail looks dialed, the leather soles wear forever, the whole shoe feels more substantial and durable. But the Aldens have that classic American loafer look that can't be beat. And they comein that lovely color 8 shell, which also can't be beat. Westons stand out more as something different.

I say choose what looks better to you, as long as you can get a good fit.

nemononame

Reaction score
Anyone here know if MR.PORTER ever has J.M Westons on sale? Or if they have had before , besides this past black Friday.
They seem to have the less standard variations of their models on sale once a year (maybe black Friday?) in limited sizes. And Weston themselves had limited models on sale a few weeks ago, (10-20%?), which is the first I'm aware of, and I believe in the US you had to order through the NY store.

gte872h

Reaction score

I’m on the West Coast and worked with Daniel at the JM Weston NY store remotely. Daniel has been really great and helpful. I measured my feet and went back and forth to work everything out. I lucked out I suppose but all my pairs fit great.

It’s a bit strange but Weston has three different sizes: Weston size, UK size, and US size. I’m just shy of 11E brannock and in Weston’s US size I’m 11D. In Weston’s own sizing:

180 loafer 9.5 D with socks
641 10D
677 10.5D
590 10.5E

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I visited the Weston shop in London three years ago.
As I have chronicled ad nauseam, I have very wide feet,
usually 9 4E. The sales person measured me an said that in
Weston sizes I would be a 7F. Needless to say, there were no
shoes in that size in stock, so I do not know whether they would fit.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Model 680, generously sent to me by one of my customers as appreciation/gift. Sadly about a full size too small. The leather is remarkable, not sure what it is exactly, but I've never seen anything quite like it. Tough/sturdy, with a heavy texture and prominent pores.

IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0006.JPG
JpXtEtuRRs62P+CIkIpiiA.jpg

drewzter

Reaction score
Does anyone here know when jm weston changed the logo design on the insoles? The recent ones have the name going vertically with the shoe and a styled O. But I have noticed some have a more decorative/flare design on the insoles

florent

Reaction score
According to a poster on this thread (in french) :
  • Old logo in arms: 80's
  • Old logo in arms with the "Modèle protégé" mention: 90's
  • New logo with the styled O: post-2000
There's another one that I've seen on old models but no idea of exact age:

We could add the "Manufacture W" which was a diffusion line, now discontinued.

drewzter

Reaction score
According to a poster on this thread (in french) :
  • Old logo in arms: 80's
  • Old logo in arms with the "Modèle protégé" mention: 90's
  • New logo with the styled O: post-2000
There's another one that I've seen on old models but no idea of exact age:
View attachment 1326809

We could add the "Manufacture W" which was a diffusion line, now discontinued.

Thank you for the info! lol I read french at C1 level but never really browse french forums and stuff. I'll be able to do a little more research. I recently purchased these 180's . Whether they end up fitting is another story but I noticed this old logo on
them. If your info is right these are from circa 90s but pretty much brand new.
WJMWN20296_3_enlarged.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads