• We would like to welcome Sprezzabox to the Styleforum family as an official Affiliate Vendor! SprezzaBox is a monthly subscription service for men, delivering a unique selection of fashion and lifestyle accessories right to your doorstep.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

JL Plum Oxfords with Black Suit?

chirpy

Reaction score
I'm getting married next month and while the boss insisted on a black suit, I am in the drivers seat for shoes. I was looking at some nice black Dior shoes, then realized that I hardly ever wear black shoes, so maybe I should try something else. I was at Wilkes Bashford this afternoon and they had some really beautiful JL Rothleys in dark Plum museum leather (which has shades of black). The guy at the store had me convinced these would work great with a black suit, although I was initially skeptical. For what it's worth, I'm wearing a black 2-button Isaia, white shirt and dark purple RL pin dot tie.

These are the shoes in question:

I'm drawn to these over traditional black because I'll just get much more use out of them in the long run (although the JL Philip II in black is beautiful too).

We are getting married in the afternoon (starts at 6pm outside in mid-sept), so I'm contemplating going with the dark plum shoes. Am I crazy for mixing it up with some color or will this look ridiculous?

For what it's worth, I almost considered the JL purple Paul Smith collaboration, but remembered it's my wedding and might not be appropriate to wear purple wingtips:

Any thoughts on what I should do?

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the wedding!

I actually like the first option the best. Something about the style speaks to me.

However, I believe the second is more versatile, especially in the office, so I'm sort of indifferent between the two.

Yes, oxblood would be perfect for your outfit.

Cheers

erpet

Reaction score
The problem with black is that it only works with white, when used in such large a scale as a suit. (When other shades and colours are dominant, black works as a complement, e.g. black shoes or tie to a gray or navy suit)

So if a black suit is the only option (please run the issue with your future wife once more), a pair of black shoes would be the best choice.

I agree that the shoes you have pictured would be more versatile than a black pair, but I can see no use what so ever for a black suit so you might as well by black shoes as well while you are buying items you will only wear once.

Last edited:

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 85 17.7%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 154 32.0%
  • 8”

Votes: 140 29.1%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 54 11.2%
  • 9”

Votes: 24 5.0%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 11 2.3%